Mid-2015 15" MB Pro Wifi Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mustang07, Sep 12, 2015.

1. mustang07 macrumors newbie

I finally bought another Mac, after 6 years of PC usage. Left PC behind because of all the headaches it's software caused. It's the current base model 15" macbook pro. After 1 day of use, I'm having a little bit of connectivity issues.

After the computer wakes up from having the lid closed, Safari tells me it can't connect to the internet. Up top, my wifi signal shows it's connected to my network. I start diagnostics, but before it even finishes it connects back, and restores to full functionality.

I know the issue is not on my side, never had any issues with wifi, even on those 'terrible' PC's

I have Yosemite 10.10.5 installed. Any help would be appreciated.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

What router are you using? What's your setup? We need more info.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Basestation connected but no internet access makes me always check the DNS first. You could:
    a) run the OS X network diagnostics utility
    b) input e.g. google's DNS address (8.8.8.8) as your DNS server and see if that makes any difference.

4. dingobiatch macrumors member

This is a known issue it seems, I've seen it talked about a lot and I have the same issue.

5. mustang07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mid-2015 15" 2.2 ghz, 16gb ram, 256 SSD.

Yosemite 10.10.5
    Absolutely no apps or any extra software installed.

My router is an Arris DG1670A
    Time Warner Cable.

Just by searching google, it does look like others have had this issue. But it doesn't look like Apple has directly issued a resolution to it. Common reply's are "upgrade to Yosemite, that should do it." I think my software is up date.

Thinking about taking it in, but I doubt they'll find anything.

6. mustang07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Crazy. And the weird thing is, I can close the lid, open it a minute later, and everything is fine. But if I close the lid, and wait like 15-20 minutes, that's when the issue shows up. It's really annoying.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Modems with built-in WiFi routers tend to suck big time when it comes to WiFi performance.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that's where your problem resides.

8. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I'd also say it's your cable modem/router. I had a similar issue with mine, except it was with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 losing connection. Oddly, my Macs were all just fine (once I got them onto the 10.10 release that got rid of discoveryd.)

I had to call my cable company and get them to put my router/modem in gateway mode. After that, I switched to using the AirPort Extreme for my routing needs (I had stopped using it once I got that crappy router/modem ... what a piece of crap. It's a Cisco DPC3825 for the curious.) All my network problems went away after that.

FWIW, my problems existed whether it was a wired or wireless connection.

9. mustang07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did interval testing. Closed the lid and opened it after 25, 20, 15, and 10 minutes. Issue was present every time.
    Issue was not present at 5 minutes, internet worked fine. Something happens between 5 and 10 minutes.

I have a Verizon Moto E. I tethered it to my MB. Opened the lid after 25 minutes and 10 minutes, no issues. Connected right away.

10. mustang07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just as an update, I was able to duplicate the issue on an identical MB Pro. So, you guys were right, it's an issue with the time warner router and how it communicates with MacBooks in general. Haven't solved the issue yet though.