Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Just saying: I’ve had rechargeable mice die when I needed to be on the computer.

You can tit for tat this all day, but for me it’s impractical.

Enjoy your MM2.
And I had rechargeable phones die on me when I needed to use them. No titting for tatting, it's called adapting to things. I'm just not sure if this really is this issue you're making it out to be, because let's be honest: One can hook that mouse up to its charging cable over night once a week or a month. The hideous ergonomics of the MM2, however, that's a whole other story. No way I'm gonna destroy my wrists by using that thing for hours on a daily basis.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
My inability to use trackpads (arthritis) means I am without a mouse for however long the full charge takes. So for me, it’s impractical.
The point is, you don't need the full charge. Charge it when you fetch a cup of your poison. On return unplug it.
And charge the mouse fully, if you don't use your computer.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
TBH my MM2 has lasted 1-2 months on a full charge, charge it for 5 mins and it lasts a day.

Really not a big deal and certainly not a deal breaker, if it is you obviously need bigger things to worry about.

Reactions: kazmac and Ifti

dimitrisvlc

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2019
So there are no rumors or indications about the new iMacs... Is there any chance to see a silent update via press release in March event (if this happens) or we are going for WWDC all the way? Tell me your thoughts! 625 days with no updates btw...

Reactions: orbital~debris

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
So there are no rumors or indications about the new iMacs... Is there any chance to see a silent update via press release in March event (if this happens) or we are going for WWDC all the way? Tell me your thoughts! 625 days with no updates btw...
WWDC at least. At this point, an update would be quite the big thing and thus warranting a keynote.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
WWDC at least. At this point, an update would be quite the big thing and thus warranting a keynote.

Not necessarily. Could be around the rumoured March event, but a spec bump so via press release.
[doublepost=1550700342][/doublepost]It is curious though that Ming-Chi Kuo hasn’t mentioned iMac at all (since the “display performance improvements” hint last year) in his predictions. That would probably suggest that there’s no significant redesign due yet (maybe lined up for 2020 instead?)

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
I am very happy with my 2017 iMac (i7, 1TB SSD) which has everything I need to stay with it for very long time. The 2017 iMac replaced my 2014 5K iMac that only had a 256GB SSD, no USB-C and no P3 display and a much weaker GPU. Before that I had a 2008 24“ iMac which I used for 7 years with an upgraded 512GB SSD. The 2017 iMac is something similar regarding the staying power.

I won’t upgrade the 2017 iMac with any kind of Intel based iMac in the near future! The only upgrade that might make sense in some years is a ARM based IMac with a completely new design, a bigger bezel-less display and a new cooling concept.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I am very happy with my 2017 iMac (i7, 1TB SSD) which has everything I need to stay with it for very long time. The 2017 iMac replaced my 2014 5K iMac that only had a 256GB SSD, no USB-C and no P3 display and a much weaker GPU. Before that I had a 2008 24“ iMac which I used for 7 years with an upgraded 512GB SSD. The 2017 iMac is something similar regarding the staying power.

I won’t upgrade the 2017 iMac with any kind of Intel based iMac in the near future! The only upgrade that might make sense in some years is a ARM based IMac with a completely new design, a bigger bezel-less display and a new cooling concept.
I won’t upgrade my 2017 27” iMac (1 TB SSD + 1 TB USB-C SSD + i5-7600) anytime soon either as I keep my machines a long time, but then again I bought mine 1.75 years ago. Every day is a new record for longest lived iMac without an update, and we are now on the countdown to a full two years.

Only just over three more months to go until we hit the 2 year mark.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017

i think you better stuck with it like me.. arm proc pretty nonsense for hardcore application and developer like me... unless apple crazy want to changed it.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
i think you better stuck with it like me.. arm proc pretty nonsense for hardcore application and developer like me... unless apple crazy want to changed it.
Well, you won't be in any trouble if you're using first-party tools.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015

Why do you think the A chips are nonsense? Apple doubles the performance every year and the A12X is already faster than nearly anything Intel has to offer with much less energy consumption and heat. Can you imagine what a A13, A14 ... CPU with 5 nm structures do?

I would love to see the speed of development and the technical possibilities of the iPad Pros applied to regular MacBooks and desktops. Maybe it merges all together in the end that way....

Last edited:

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Why do you think the A chips are nonsense? Apple doubles the performance every year and the A12X is already faster than nearly anything Intel has to offer with much less energy consumption and heat. Can you imagine what a A13, A14 ... CPU with 5 nm structures do?

I would love to see the speed of development and the technical possibilities of the iPad Pros applied to regular MacBooks and desktops. Maybe it merges all together in the end that way....
most people mistaken one thing ..the purpose of shrinking is to lower the heat. Unless we got tech can separate each proc for each process then a little good for a dungeon of proc. When deal with new proc, we deal with old software which need to test/debug migration which lead to increase cost. When your apple store software doesn't support x86 only ARM.. Then it will more apple user will leaving.Even cocurrent it will take at least 5 years to matured/bugfixed all software to it. X86 easier because most core unix/linux can be re-used back but ARM ? yeah got arm server but ... not much yet. Who want to re-write code for market not even 20% worldwide ?

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
most people mistaken one thing ..the purpose of shrinking is to lower the heat. Unless we got tech can separate each proc for each process then a little good for a dungeon of proc. When deal with new proc, we deal with old software which need to test/debug migration which lead to increase cost. When your apple store software doesn't support x86 only ARM.. Then it will more apple user will leaving.Even cocurrent it will take at least 5 years to matured/bugfixed all software to it. X86 easier because most core unix/linux can be re-used back but ARM ? yeah got arm server but ... not much yet. Who want to re-write code for market not even 20% worldwide ?

Hopefully there are some better cross compilers available now to support developers compared to 2006 where we had the shift from Power PC to Intel X86. Even that conversion went not so bad. if Intel continues with it's problems we might even see Windows based ARM systems.....

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Hopefully there are some better cross compilers available now to support developers compared to 2006 where we had the shift from Power PC to Intel X86. Even that conversion went not so bad. if Intel continues with it's problems we might even see Windows based ARM systems.....
got windows arm but failure .the first windows surface tab / phone also got .I don't see why would said "Intel" Problem. Just outsource to AMD because they are the first x64 extension.. Not 64 like ibm proc or itanium

Last edited:

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
most people mistaken one thing ..the purpose of shrinking is to lower the heat.
You forgot the second variable: If I shrink the structures and let the heat be the same, I get more computing power!
Also, in practice it's more of mix and match: how much more computing power and how much less wattage (that's what cause the heat, in the first place), one wants.

Last edited:

Copefree

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
My mid-2011 27” iMac has been an absolute *beast*. Daily use for coming up on 8 full years now (in May) and it still runs excellent. The video card crapped out in May 2017 but I was able to remove it, bake it in the oven, and reinstall it and it’s been trouble free since.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the new iMacs, though ... as I’m sure thing thing won’t go another two years. Or will it?!?!?

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
And I had rechargeable phones die on me when I needed to use them. No titting for tatting, it's called adapting to things. I'm just not sure if this really is this issue you're making it out to be, because let's be honest: One can hook that mouse up to its charging cable over night once a week or a month. The hideous ergonomics of the MM2, however, that's a whole other story. No way I'm gonna destroy my wrists by using that thing for hours on a daily basis.
I happen to really like the feel of the Magic Mouse.

People like what they like.

Reactions: JoSch

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The point is, you don't need the full charge. Charge it when you fetch a cup of your poison. On return unplug it.
And charge the mouse fully, if you don't use your computer.

Okay. Thanks. I sit corrected. Not the first time I’ve been incorrect. I just hate being in the middle of writing something and the keyboard or mouse lose a charge.

Thanks again.

I am definitely ordering a new iMac when my fed tax return comes in, if there’s no throttling. I’d prefer a maxed out 21.5, but we’ll see about Apple’s workaround dealing with the thermal cooling. If I get another 27” the mid tier costs about $20-30 more, the only differences will be no vega gpu, the opportunity to maybe add more RAM and the larger screen.

Reactions: JoSch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.