Mid Production Hardware Fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UCF-ENG, Jun 27, 2010.

1. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

It may delay shipments a few weeks, but why doesn't Apple just MOVE the gap for the atennas on the left side of the iPhone down to the bottom? Maybe, centered over the dock conector, or over the left speaker port?

It may take a few weeks to retool, but it seems like a simple fix to me (Considering that any such changes mid-production would be a huge process).

What do you guys think?

2. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

While they're at it, they should round the back of the phone again and make it out of something other than glass.

3. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Can't you just wait til Apple comes out with an update for the software? It's been 4 days since the official release. Really 2 days and a weekend, come on give them some time.

4. UCF-ENG thread starter macrumors regular

There is a fundamental hardware flaw here that can't simply be fixed with a software update. It's one thing to write software to make up for atenuation caused by your hand (might be possible, I don't know), it's another to write software to prevent people from bridging their antenna by touching their phones (theoretically impossible).

My suggestion would be a real "fix" for the bridging issue.

5. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

I think there's ZERO chance of this happening. Such a simple fix, as you put it, would require a re-design and take more than a couple weeks. Not to mention that this would be admitting they were somehow wrong and stir up more bad PR than just leaving it as is. Imagine the hubbub, even if they just "moved the gap"...Apple is not the type of company that does this sort of thing. Hate to break it to you. If anything they will retool the software to minimize the effect of poor reception, even if it is indeed a hardware issue.

Btw, be prepared to for the forthcoming flaming that is about to ensue.... :D

6. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Maybe, but it won't come in the form of just "moving the gap" either way.

7. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Look, you are not an apple engineer nor am I. No one knows FOR SURE if it's the hardware or software. You and I know the mix of us members getting told by Apple Reps an update will fix the calibration of the cellular bands so they work properly; and others have said the bumper is the fix and the hardware is the issue. I'm just saying wait a minute, I'm not saying you're wrong either. If any sort of update fixes the problem then great, but if not then this thread will be great for discussion. Personally if the hardware is the real issue then, I'm taking it back, speculation of getting a hardware change or not. I should be able to hold it the way I want to just like the previous iPhone models.

8. UCF-ENG thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I have thought of another fix. Why not encase that metal band in a hard matte finish plastic. Maybe make the antenna band slightly thinner so that the plastic encased band still sits flush with the glass, and make sure that the volume buttons, and the silence rocker clear properly. That would be a permanent fix to the grounding issue.

The other thing to think about is this, if Apple CAN NOT find a permanent solution and they can only mitigate the problem through a software update (which makes the issue tolerable), then do they shorten the product cycle and release iPhone 5 in January or February. Maybe they have this new iPhone launch coincide with its release on other carriers in an attempt to mask the real reasoning for a change in the product cycle? Just speculation, but interesting situation to be in.

If I'm Apple, I just move the gap on the left side to the bottom left corner, where the speaker is. That would have solved a lot of problems.

9. big0mar macrumors regular

You obviously don't know the capabilities of software if you believe that to be the case.

10. UCF-ENG thread starter macrumors regular

What, that software can prevent two separate antennas from shorting out when bridged? Can you please explain how this is physically possible?

11. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it has been documented that not everyone has the issue, so it isn't a simple as you make it sound. and since no one here is an apple engineer this speculation is silly

my guess is there is a combination of factors at work here, it isn't any 1 thing that is the root cause, so lets just wait to see what apple does to fix the issue for those effected

12. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

lol You don't know that, so just stop with your fundamental hardware flaw nonsense.

13. big0mar macrumors regular

Its not a matter of shorting, its a matter of the noise created. How the phone reacts to that noise can be dictated by software.

Not to mention that the two antennas both serve completely different purposes.

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Yup, Apple could always code software to turn off one of the antennas / change output levels / whatever will work :) if it detects a change in capacitance/impedance caused by human touch.

15. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

well the only purpose the two antennas are serving right now is that they are pissing me the hell off. I've had amazing 5 bar 3g reception on my iphones 3g and 3gs. now the bars (and service as tested via speed tests) fluctuate all over the place where it was locked at 5 bars for the past 2 years.

if you people don't think this is a serious problem then you got another thing coming.

16. big0mar macrumors regular

What exactly do I have coming? Because mine works perfectl :cool:

17. woofermazing macrumors member

Except alot of people, who previously had no problems, are experiencing signal loss when they are in areas where the AT&T coverage is not excellent. The evidence pointing towards it being a flaw in all released phones is becoming overwhelming.

18. big0mar macrumors regular

A bunch of people on the internet isn't overwhelming evidence.

To put things in perspective, I don't know anyone personally who has had issues with their phone.

19. tritonj macrumors 6502a

and who exactly is "you people"? seriously dude, get over yourself. sorry that you ahve problems, apple will have some sort of fix. if you still don't like it or can't wait till they fix the problem then return the phone and save yourself the aggravation. no one is forcing you to use it.

the sense of entitlement nowadays is just astounding

20. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

well good for you dude. i think i have a gold star lying around here somewhere, you really deserve it. i dont see what help you could possibly be to anyone that IS having major issues when you claim you dont. you saying your phone works perfectly doesn't magically make ours work fine, even with your shiny new gold star.

21. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

but does it have the green spot apearing on your indoor camera ***** under FL ?

22. big0mar macrumors regular

I'm sorry. You said I have another thing coming, I was just curious as to what you were referring to.

23. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

why don't you go post in a "MY IPHONE IS AMAZING!!!" thread somewhere. you are absolutely of no use to anyone that is having problems. youre posting here to gloat that you have a good working phone. but like i said, that doesn't magically make ours work better. why dont you let people that are having the issue discuss it and you go back your "OMG I JUST LICKED MY NEW IPHONE AND GOT A BONER!!!" thread

24. big0mar macrumors regular

Huh?