Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedMacMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
I have several problems with the new Mighty Mouse:

1) Lifting my left finger in order to register a right click generates significant forearm discomfort after extended use.

2) Since the whole mouse IS the button, you cannot click both left and right butons at the same time. This eliminates an otherwise valid click combination which I use heavily in a certain game.

3) The "squeeze" button requires far too much effort to execute, and usually requires repositioning the hand.

4) The cord is inexplicably short.

5) The mouse itself is too light.

6) The laser is erratic compared to my bluetooth apple mouse. I am unable to get consistent tracking on any service even after checking/cleaning the laser and surface for dust, etc. No idea what accounts for the much more finicky laser in the mighty mouse.

Anyway, kind of bummed I spent $50 on this thing. Hate to admit it but my microsoft wheel mouse is better...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
MIGHY MOSUE

1) Lifting my left finger in order to register a right click generates significant forearm discomfort after extended use.

Come one its not that much more effort then any other muti-click mouse

2) Since the whole mouse IS the button, you cannot click both left and right butons at the same time. This eliminates an otherwise valid click combination which I use heavily in a certain game.

From what i heard of gaming it is not good for games but no worse then a 1 button apple mouse

3) The "squeeze" button requires far too much effort to execute, and usually requires repositioning the hand.

Its easy as pie, very nice feature, and easy.

4) The cord is inexplicably short.

Its the same as the normal apple mousecord ( just plug it into the keyboard USB)

Come on!

6) The laser is erratic compared to my bluetooth apple mouse. I am unable to get consistent tracking on any service even after checking/cleaning the laser and surface for dust, etc. No idea what accounts for the much more finicky laser in the mighty mouse.

Its been the same as my normal apple mouse

Its been great from what i've read/ used it for

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
EDIT: Christ, this thread is retarded. I own the Mighty Mouse, bought it the day it came out, and love it. You? I don't give a ****. I read my post, and thought to myself "why do I give a ****? I've complained about worse things", so...

*snip!*

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I have to go try it out at the apple store for a real test drive. If I like it, I'm gonna use my iPod settlement to get it!

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
RedMacMan said:
wow. nice flames guys. thought the ppl here were mostly friendly...

Yes........most people here are friendly.......they tell you the truth ;) Sometime the truth hurts eh..... :p

Mr.Hostility

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
grapes911 said:
They are mostly friendly. It's just that most of your complaints are unworthy of a serious response.

How are his complaints unworthy of a response? :confused: If he was praising the mouse, that would be worthy of a response?

I'm glad he posted this, as I am seriously considering getting the mouse. While his concerns might not be yours or mine, it does bring potential issues to light with the mouse. And if I saw frequent posts or reviews like that, I would steer clear of it.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
RedMacMan said:

it was not flaming it was tellign the truth

flaming would be

WRONG WORNG STUPID HEAD HI SUP I LOVE PIE

that would be flaming

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm sure that some people won't find it suitable. Some just won't be happy with it because it doesn't work for them and others won't like it simply because it's an Apple product.

The cord is incredibly short as with other Apple mousies. Try using the mouse with a Logitech keyboard--u need a USB extension cord.

Unfortunately, some people are going to love it and hate anyone who talks out against it but I wonder about things like "requires far too much effort to execute" after all the testing they've done. Perhaps, u should go work out a bit, wash some dishes, take out the trash, build some muscles. ;)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Mr.Hostility said:
How are his complaints unworthy of a response? :confused: If he was praising the mouse, that would be worthy of a response?

I'm glad he posted this, as I am seriously considering getting the mouse. While his concerns might not be yours or mine, it does bring potential issues to light with the mouse. And if I saw frequent posts or reviews like that, I would steer clear of it.

I'm not going to repeat zap and Raven because they did a good job addressing the issues at hand.

Here are some examples of why I think this is dumb post:

The mouse isn't good for gaming. What would you say if I said I purchased a Dodge Neon and I'm disappointed because it sucks at off-roading? This is not a gaming mouse. 'nough said.

The cord it too short. It's the same length as Apple's standard mouse. Why would you expect it to be any different?

The mouse is too light. WTF? Come on people. Doesn't anyone else "try before they buy"?

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
RedMacMan said:
I have several problems with the new Mighty Mouse:

Lol.. go to the gym and do some forearm excercises.. your forearms must be super sissy weak if you experience 'discomfort' using a mouse..

Get a joystick for gaming.

You're kidding right? I mean , you wouldnt want more forearm discomfort!! :eek:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
grapes911 said:
I'm not going to repeat zap and Raven because they did a good job addressing the issues at hand.

Here are some examples of why I think this is dumb post:

The mouse isn't good for gaming. What would you say if I said I purchased a Dodge Neon and I'm disappointed because it sucks at off-roading? This is not a gaming mouse. 'nough said.
Yeah; but it still has to be said -- Apple does not mention the mouse as substandard for gaming compared to a 2 or 3 button mouse, nor the limitations on clicking. So -- how would a prospective purchaser know, unless someone posted their experience?

grapes911 said:
The cord it too short. It's the same length as Apple's standard mouse. Why would you expect it to be any different?
Because Microsoft and every other mouse manufacturer provide generous cord length and don't assume you'll be plugging into your Apple Keyboard?
It's a serious issue for those of us with KVM's, non-Apple keyboards without USB outputs and/or large desks.
grapes911 said:
The mouse is too light. WTF? Come on people. Doesn't anyone else "try before they buy"?
Notably difficult to do online, and for those of us without an Apple Store within travelling distance. Personally I would rather read a post here that criticizes the mouse than spend my time driving - and for a $50 product yet...
The OP's experience was that the clicking action cause them pain - and that is relative to their experience with a conventional 2 button mouse. That's their experience and it is downright rude of someone to gainsay that by saying "the extra effort should not cause you pain" or dismissing the statement by equating it to scroll wheel use.

Obviously a mouse's feel is highly subjective, and dependent on personal preference -- which was EXACTLY what the OP posted. Their experience, and their conclusion.

Disrespectful responses.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Music_Producer said:
Lol.. go to the gym and do some forearm excercises.. your forearms must be super sissy weak if you experience 'discomfort' using a mouse..
That may not necessarily be the limiting factor-- it's about positioning, and it can be detrimental to your health aka carpal tunnel syndrome.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
Obviously a mouse's feel is highly subjective, and dependent on personal preference -- which was EXACTLY what the OP posted. Their experience, and their conclusion.

Disrespectful responses.
Thank you, for putting that so eloquently-- I knew I would botch it up if I attempted, so thanks, Canada. BTW, I think your RAM looks better a little less hairy, but that's just my opinion. ;)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
zap2 said:
it was not flaming it was tellign the truth
Hmm.. Your truth trumps the original poster's truth, I presume that is your position.

Actually, I read a lot of direspect and precious little truth in the factual sense in that post.

Especially the part where you tell them they are wrong - they are not feeling pain in their forearm. That was a gem of truth telling, that was.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Music_Producer said:

Get a joystick for gaming.

You're kidding right? I mean , you wouldnt want more forearm discomfort!! :eek:
Hey Music Producer,

As someone who has experienced carpal tunnel syndrome and has to use a computer 8 - 10 hours a day, I am not going to tell you just how angry your post makes me.

But I will educate you about one feature of the vBulletin software, the Ignore list. That is where you can put the usernames of MR members that you never wish to have darken the screen of your computer again. You're on it, babe.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
CanadaRAM said:
Personally I would rather read a post here that criticizes the mouse than spend my time driving - and for a $50 product yet...
Agreed. That's why we have:
This thread introduction the Mighty Mouse,
This thread about people's first impresstions, and
This thread specifically about the mouse and gaming.
Most of (if not all of) the original complaints were covered before.

Disrespectful responses.
Maybe now you can see why I have a lack of respect for this thread.

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Music_Producer said:

You have no idea how much trouble/pain extended mouse work can cause. I agree with Dev's statement. My right forearm is shot. Had to learn to sit right, take frequent breaks and start using the mouse using my left hand. Six months before the pain finally went away! This was during my PC days. My switch to a Mac, and a one-button mouse, forced me to learn the use of keyboard shortcuts. That helped tremendously.

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
CanadaRAM said:
Hey Music Producer,

As someone who has experienced carpal tunnel syndrome and has to use a computer 8 - 10 hours a day, I am not going to tell you just how angry your post makes me.

But I will educate you about one feature of the vBulletin software, the Ignore list. That is where you can put the usernames of MR members that you never wish to have darken the screen of your computer again. You're on it, babe.

My sentiments exactly, and thank you for telling me about the Ignore list.
:D

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
grapes911 said:
Agreed. That's why we have:
This thread introduction the Mighty Mouse,
This thread about people's first impresstions, and
This thread specifically about the mouse and gaming.
Most of (if not all of) the original complaints were covered before.

Maybe now you can see why I have a lack of respect for this thread.
I take your point; there are previous threads (although I have no attraction to combing through an 1,157 post thread - at a certain point it becomes irrelevant if the information is buried deep enough)

My objection is that the posters here did not simply point out it was a double post, nor did they address the factual issues, they engaged on an immediate ad hominem attack on the postER, not the POST.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
RedMacMan said:

Most are, but I've come across total [expletive deleted] too!

Logitech MX 300 ($15 off eBay) for me, :D

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
hey, i think its good someone said something bad about a mac product. yes, there are many good things about mac products (far supirior to windows products) but lets face it, nothing can be perfect. and some people in these forums are too much in love with every apple product. i think a mouse is a very hard thing to get right because so many people like so many different aspects of mice. i havent seen or tried one, but im interested in it.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Mr.Hostility said:

What you just saw is what pc lovers would call mac fanaticism--defending apple even in the face of legitimate criticism. No offence, but it seems like raven and zap2 haven't even used the mighty mouse and they're already bashing someone who has bought one.

I have to admit that I haven't tried this mouse myself so I can't comment on it, but from what I've heard, the lifting of the left click finger to right click is a pretty popular complaint because it requires more effort than normal 2+ button mice where you can rest your fingers on the button and just press when you want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.