Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Several people have commented that they leave their left finger on the left mouse button normally, and some say that they lift the left finger normally when right clicking. I find that I leave my left finger resting on the scoll wheel normally, and not the left button at all. I also find that I will usually lift my left finger when right clicking. Apparently not everybody uses a mouse the same way.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
danny_w said:
Several people have commented that they leave their left finger on the left mouse button normally, and some say that they lift the left finger normally when right clicking. I find that I leave my left finger resting on the scoll wheel normally, and not the left button at all. I also find that I will usually lift my left finger when right clicking. Apparently not everybody uses a mouse the same way.

I use the mouse exactly the same way you do. It feels awkward when holding it in a way where my pinky and thumb hold the sides, and my left finger resting on the left button. I hold it sort of diagonally, index finger on the wheel, thumb and ring finger holding the side things, and middle finger over the right button.

Wonder if how some people get CTS and some don't comes down to how they hold their mouse?

50thVert

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I loved the concept of the Mighty Mouse, ended up buying one and ive been satisfied with it for the 4 days that ive owned it....until tonight.

ITS SQUEAKING LIKE A REAL LIVE MOUSE! :mad: Every click i get a plastic-on-plastic hinge squeak. Driving me freaking insane.

Looks like im returning it and going back to the good 'ol corded white Intellimouse Optical.

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
The only thing anybody should really give a damn about is the scroll ball.

I haven't used it yet, but the fact that there is a speaker inside of the mouse to simulate a button being pressed is a little too silly for me. Still, I'd like to at least try it out, and I appreciate your (OP) post. Thanks.

As for the features of the mouse:

Even Microsoft (and a few other companies) already make wheels that 'tilt' so that you can side-scroll.

The fact that you'd have to lift your left finger to right-click seems awfully stupid. I can't believe that's true - but then again, I suppose there's no other way to have this system function. Seems like it would become extremely annoying.

Personally, I think a touch sensitive mouse is kind of useless - but I'm happy they've at least started producing standard mice.

Now, it'll be interesting to see what they do for the notebooks...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
50thVert said:
I loved the concept of the Mighty Mouse, ended up buying one and ive been satisfied with it for the 4 days that ive owned it....until tonight.

ITS SQUEAKING LIKE A REAL LIVE MOUSE! :mad: Every click i get a plastic-on-plastic hinge squeak. Driving me freaking insane.

Looks like im returning it and going back to the good 'ol corded white Intellimouse Optical.

Chill. Mine hadn't squeaked yet and I've used it exclusively for a week now. Yours might be defective or something. Just go and swap for a new one.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
CanadaRAM said:
Hey Music Producer,

As someone who has experienced carpal tunnel syndrome and has to use a computer 8 - 10 hours a day, I am not going to tell you just how angry your post makes me.

But I will educate you about one feature of the vBulletin software, the Ignore list. That is where you can put the usernames of MR members that you never wish to have darken the screen of your computer again. You're on it, babe.

there was me thinking that was a joke...

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Before reading this thread i was seriously considering getting a mighty mouse but now i am having second thoughts and may go for a logitech,

SHadoW ;)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
methinks i'll wait for the BT version. have a BT keyboard and BT mouse right now, so why revert to cabled?

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Alright, FedEx just dropped off my new mighty mouse about 20 minutes ago, and I absolutely love it. I'm not basing this on any reviews I've read, good or bad, this is my experience and mine alone.

1) It's very easy to slightly lift your index finger to execute a right-click. Upon a bit more examination, I've realized I did that anyways. Even with my previous MS 2-button mouse.

2) The scroll ball feels really cool, and isn't too squirrly, as I was afraid it would be. Can't figure out the diagonal scrolling thing, but then again I rarely even need horizontal scrolling, so why am I complaining.

3) The side buttons require 5 minutes of getting used to, they seem to squeeze a bit tough at first, but you soon figure out "how" to press them, and it's almost like the mouse reads your mind from then on. ;)

4) Tracking is not a problem at all, seems just as precise as all other optical mice I've owned.

5) Gonna give it a test in WC3 and Diablo 2 pretty quick here, gotta do the dishes before my mom gets home, but I'll try to be back :p

Got any questions about the mouse, post em here and I'll see if I can answer them. :D

londy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
louisville, ky
okay, i've been loving this mouse since wednesday of last week. LOVING IT. until this morning. it has started to squeak and it's driving me mad. i bought it from apple online and there isn't a store near me. any quick fixes to this or will i have to send it back.

i know one thing, i cannot take this squeaky mouse. absolutely cannot.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
RedMacMan said:
wow. nice flames guys. thought the ppl here were mostly friendly...

Yes, but when you wine and say $#!T like... " Oh, its not heavy enough!" and "The cable is too short!". Here is my solution for you. 1. Tape a rock to your hand. It will seem heaver to lift. 2. Cut off the USB plug end the cut the camera end of a USB cable and solder them toughter. There, now you have a 4 foot cable.

iPollo

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2005
My POV

RedMacMan said:
1) Lifting my left finger in order to register a right click generates significant forearm discomfort after extended use.

Personally, I did not have that problem since I've always lifted my index finger to right click. I'm a recent switcher and always used PC mice, so I have zero experience with one button Apple mice. As a matter of fact, I would have never used a one button mouse with my Mac mini. I had been using the same Sony VAIO mouse I use with my laptop.

RedMacMan said:
2) Since the whole mouse IS the button, you cannot click both left and right butons at the same time. This eliminates an otherwise valid click combination which I use heavily in a certain game.

Absolutely true. I knew this before buying my Mighty Mouse because I took the time to read how this mouse works. I rarely play games so it is not a concern. I have my PC mouse if I really need that kind of functionality.

RedMacMan said:
3) The "squeeze" button requires far too much effort to execute, and usually requires repositioning the hand.

I have to admit that at first it was a little awkward for me too to use the squeeze feature. No need to reposition my hand though. I already hold the mouse in a way that I do not need to do it. However, the squeeze thing has become natural to me now and don't have any problems using it.

RedMacMan said:
4) The cord is inexplicably short.

The other wired Apple mice have a similar sized cord. It is not a surprise for me that this one has that same lenght. Granted, for that price Apple could have included an extension. They do it for the wired keyboard, they could have done it with the Mighty Mouse as well.

RedMacMan said:
5) The mouse itself is too light.

The weight is fine to me. In fact, I have to say that it is the most balanced mouse I've used.

RedMacMan said:
6) The laser is erratic compared to my bluetooth apple mouse. I am unable to get consistent tracking on any service even after checking/cleaning the laser and surface for dust, etc. No idea what accounts for the much more finicky laser in the mighty mouse.

Have you tried to use it on another surface? I have two identical Sony VAIO mice and one can be used on my bare desk (which is the way I like to work) while the other one doesn't like that surface at all. I certainly don't have that problem with my Mighty Mouse.

The only thing that I wish could be improved is acceleration in OS X. It just plain sucks. My PC at work running Windoze has better mouse acceleration than my Mac running Tiger. It is not a Mighty Mouse problem, I know.

RedMacMan said:
Anyway, kind of bummed I spent $50 on this thing. Hate to admit it but my microsoft wheel mouse is better...

Overall I'd say that I don't regret the $80 I spent on mine (yes, that's what the Mighty Mouse costs here in Mexico City). It is not a revolutionary device but certainly looks good and works the way I expect it to.

Dan.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I tried out a mighty mouse in an Apple Store, and I'm a bit neutral about it - it's not as fantastic as I had hoped, but it is pretty cool and it works.

As for the short cord issue - I actually would prefer the shorter cord, since the way my computer is arranged the mouse cord hangs down and gets in the way of my optical drive tray when it tries to close. (I keep it twisty-tied, but I'm always stealing the twisty tie for something else :eek: )

Overall I'm happy enough with my cheap logitech wheel mouse not to change, though I think I'd be happy with the mighty mouse.

But don't take my opinion too seriously - I actually liked the "hockey puck" mouse that came with my old 266MHz iMac! :eek: :eek:

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
My 2¢...

Initially, I held off on buying the MM due to mixed reports.
I picked one up this afternoon. (with great difficulty; these things are selling faster than the apple retailers in my area can stock them)
Geez, this is without a doubt the nicest mouse I have ever used.
(I also use a Logitech MX518 on my PC; nice mouse)

I think some people are apparently missing the big picture with this device.
Left-click/Right-click was immediately easy to do, and the middle-click is by far the nicest I've ever used.
The scroll ball is smoother than any of the wheels I've used and makes more sense.
(This is one of those Apple innovations that the entire industry is eventually going to copy)

I agree that the squeeze-clicker is too stiff.
Not sure about the weight issue some people mentioned; it feels about right to me.
Driver could be more configurable.

Personally, I think Apple hit one out of the park with this product.
If you love your Mac and you're running 10.4.2, buy this mouse immediately!

yklxcq

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2005
Music_Producer said:
Lol.. go to the gym and do some forearm excercises.. your forearms must be super sissy weak if you experience 'discomfort' using a mouse..

Get a joystick for gaming.

You're kidding right? I mean , you wouldnt want more forearm discomfort!! :eek:
lol :p

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
CanadaRAM said:
Because Microsoft and every other mouse manufacturer provide generous cord length and don't assume you'll be plugging into your Apple Keyboard?
It's a serious issue for those of us with KVM's, non-Apple keyboards without USB outputs and/or large desks.

this is an off-topic rant. just because Apple wants to behind-kissing pc users (to create this so-called iPod halo effect), Apple took away "my" firewire cable in iPods, Apple took away "my" firewire syncing (with the new nano) and i would hate it if Apple makes the mouse cable longer, to cater to the m$ users.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
redAPPLE said:
this is an off-topic rant. just because Apple wants to behind-kissing pc users (to create this so-called iPod halo effect), Apple took away "my" firewire cable in iPods, Apple took away "my" firewire syncing (with the new nano) and i would hate it if Apple makes the mouse cable longer, to cater to the m$ users.

You've missed the point. It's not just for MS users, it's for any computer user who doesn't use the apple keyboard and/or other peripherals. So it's not really off topic.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Mighty Mouse problems?

Anyone else's mighty mouse have a defective scroll wheel? Not sure what's wrong, but sometimes it won't scroll up, sometimes it won't scroll down. It's really a pain in the ass because I bought it specifically for the scroll wheel/button since I just deactivated the second button because I'm so used to a one button mouse.

Anyway, this really bugs me. I'll probably just take it back...

Fishes,
narco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.