Mighty Mouse, Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cristian, Apr 28, 2007.

?

Yes,No,Other

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Cristian macrumors 6502

Cristian

I am thinking of buying a might mouse for my mac book, my question is to the users of it, is it a good buy?

Thanks.

If you want to suggest another wireless mouse please say.

2. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

It depends what you will be using it for.

My advice would be to get a different mouse (possibly a tablet instead) if you ever do photoshop work. It's no good for any CAD programs either. I use both of these a lot, and have found the Might Mouse useless for these tasks.

However, for web browsing, e-mail, word etc... It's a fine mouse and is a godo buy if you're willing to spend a bit more for something that look's geat next to your Macbook. I've heard that the wireless version is quite heavy, although this is not from my own experience.

3. DVvM macrumors newbie

I've been lead to believe that the tracking is very different on the wireless as the wired mighty mouse, is this accurate?

4. Cristian thread starter macrumors 6502

Cristian

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For basic computer work - I say yes.

The 360 scroll ball is very useful for work in Logic/Garageband or anything with large images. I've got a USB and BT Mighty Mouse, the USB one is very light and easier to squeeze the side buttons, whereas the BT mouse is heavy and requires more effort to use. But it's frightfully compact and it's a brilliant portable mouse.
    It is very different yes. The BT mouse, even in OSX's fastest mouse tracking speed still feels slow on my dual monitors. The Wired mouse is faster (Infrared versus laser?), but I find the laser tracks much better on smoother surfaces.

For gaming - A definite no.

I'm using a Microsoft/Razer Habu for my gaming mouse and I could not be happier. Very expensive but a wonderful mouse in every aspect... It just hasn't got a scroll ball and it's quite heavy.

6. jotadeo macrumors regular

If anyone could also suggest a good two-button + scrollwheel BT mouse, that would be fantabulous...preferably at a decent price.

thanks!
    jdo

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Check out the Logitech MX and VX Revolution mice.

8. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

The Mighty Mouse is sweet and I prefer its scrolling method to traditional scrollwheels.

9. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

NO anything but the mighty mouse. FYI the scroll ball stops working after about 2 weeks and it attracts dirt like crazy. i had to replace my fourth mighty mouse and i just bought today a Kensington Ci60 and i am in love any logitech or kensington mouse is good i prefer Kensington because they are great for those with big hands and a steal at $30US also they come with decent lite software, but whatever you do DO NOT buy a mighty mouse. i love apple products but its like they took a team of monkeys filinging poo to design the mighty mouse

10. tekmate macrumors newbie

I personally don't like the MM the ball is way too sensitive and you end up spending more time correcting what you are doing rather than using it.

11. jotadeo macrumors regular

When has :apple: made a decently designed mouse, at least in modern times??? It's nice to have ctrl click, but as an OPTION. How hard would it be to make a two-button mouse or have two buttons accompany the trackpad on the laptops???
    jdo

12. Cristian thread starter macrumors 6502

Cristian

Is it easy to clean the scroll bar when its dirty?

13. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

The MM I've tried had 6 months of use and it worked fine.

14. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Same here.

@Cristian: It's easy, or at least it is for me. You can't really get rid of the color it acquires after a few months, but you can keep it working perfectly by unplugging it, pushing down on the shell, and rapidly rubbing the ball in all directings for a minute. This always works for me.

15. Clarence macrumors regular

logitech bluetoof mouse works great.

right click anyone?

16. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

i love mine. started with a wired one at work with my imac, and got a blue tooth one for my mbp pro at home.

17. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

18. Cristian thread starter macrumors 6502

Cristian

Okay I will be ordering the mighty mouse maybe tomorrow so if anyone has any last suggestions for some alternatives you think I should take, then please post now.

19. brooker macrumors regular

Go for it! You will love it. I used a Logitech MX 750 (or so), and couldn't get work done without it. When bluetooth crapped out on my lappy, i couldn't find anything as easy to use until i borrowed a friend's usb MM. I like the feel of the scroll ball a lot, and find it works great when coupled with Smart Scroll X.

I have also used the BT MM, and actually prefer the greater weight, so that is what is coming with my newest acquisition... :D

p.s. Just to be clear, the MM does indeed have a right-click, that works very well. It sounded like some posters weren't aware of this fact.

20. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

Mighty mouse does have two buttons - looks like it is only one and behaves like that out of the box but if you go into control panel then you can configure it to a traditional two burron device.

I've just upgraded from the old wireless BT mouse that I had with my iMac to a wired MMouse - wireless mouse is too heavy foor constant use and eats batteries for breakfast. Be sure to invest in some high quality rechargeables if you go the BT route.

21. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm a die hard MM fan :D Go wired, though, I have a wired and a wireless and I vastly prefer the wired. If you have particularly oily skin you're probably going to find your scroll ball stops working quite often (you have to turn it over and roll it around on something clean) but for those of us who don't it's just a joy.

22. robPOD macrumors 6502

i have a $19 wired white optical logitech mouse works well for me

23. Neptunian macrumors member

I'm using MM and I found that it is a great mouse. Easy to use n look nice n sexy. I'e used mine for 6 months n still look and perform like the first day I bought it. :cool:

24. iVersa macrumors 6502

It's not a Good buy. Ive said goodbye to 3 Mighty Mouses in 2 years, all down to the scroller giving up the ghost. It fails a few times at first and you can give it a shake or a blow to fix it. But from my experience they inevitably all break within about a year.

If they fixed the scroller problem though, it would certainly be my choice of mouse. It fits into my hand perfectly and the side buttons are a bonus.

It's a shame really.

After my third one died a few weeks ago Iv'e finally given up on them and am just using s atnadard Logitech one.

25. smirking macrumors 6502a

I've been through many different mice and I've finally settled on the Razer Diamondback. The only problem with it is that it doesn't have Mac drivers so the driver I'm using doesn't work well with the scroll wheel on it. Not to fear though, Razer makes a Mac version of their popular gaming mice called the Razer Pro, which matches the decor of a white Mac keyboard.

The Razer mice have a similar weight to the Mac mice and a similarly low profile. It also has four other well placed buttons that you can optionally use if you want to.

These are "gaming mice," but they're just as good for everyday use if you need high precision mice. Wrist tendinitis and beginning signs of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome have put an end to my FPS gaming days (sniff... I miss UT), but I still enjoy the mouse!