Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
I currently use an MX Revolution on my PC. It's one of the best mice I've used (the range sucks however). The best feature about the MX Revolution is the scroll wheel feature.

For my macbook pro, should I get a mighty mouse or another MX revolution? (or maybe even a different mouse?)

I read some reviews that said the mighty mouse stopped working after awhile etc.

For the keyboard, I'll be using a Microsoft Ergonomics 4000 (one of the best keyboards I've used) instead of the apple keyboard.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
I currently use an MX Revolution on my PC. It's one of the best mice I've used (the range sucks however). The best feature about the MX Revolution is the scroll wheel feature.

For my macbook pro, should I get a mighty mouse or another MX revolution? (or maybe even a different mouse?)

I read some reviews that said the mighty mouse stopped working after awhile etc.

For the keyboard, I'll be using a Microsoft Ergonomics 4000 (one of the best keyboards I've used) instead of the apple keyboard.

Meh, personally, I'm not a fan of the mighty mouse. I recently purchased an iMac and I didn't even touch the mighty mouse. It makes it awkward to right click with it (in my opinion) and is too small for my taste. Ironically enough my favorite mouse is an optical microsoft mouse (wired) that cost me about ten bucks (shipping and tax included).

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
You'll get people that love it or hate it, and I'm definitely one of the latter. The Mighty Mouse drives me crazy. I'm a big fan of Logitech's mid to high end mice.

Going from an MX Revolution to a Mighty Mouse would be quite the downgrade IMO in terms of usability and features/performance.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I too use an MX Revolution on my PC and love it. I got a wireless Mighty Mouse for my MBP and it's the biggest piece of s**t mouse I've ever used. Don't get it.

Look into the Logitech VX revolution...similar to the MX, only smaller.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
I think the mighty mouse needs a new look. I love the new Apple keyboard compared to the old one, they should shoot for a mouse based around the same design. Only problem with that is it would end up being a piece of aluminum with white plastic buttons lol.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Logitech all the way. Got an MX518 here, and it's the best mouse I've ever used.

All my Mighty Mouses go straight in the garbage.

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
I already have a MX Revolution for the PC. If I bought another MX Revolution, would they interfere with each other?

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I'd definitely go with a Logitech mouse. I got a G5 off of NewEgg a while back for like 35 US$. However, if you're just going for comfort, there are better decisions out there than the G5 like everyone else has already suggested. Logitech for the win.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Yea, get a MX Revo. They won't interfere if one mouse is off. However, the receiver may still be listening for signals.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Mighty Mouse? More like Mighty Fail.

If you get one you will have to clean it's nipple every damn week. >:[

suMMx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
i have an mx revolution and it's the best mouse i've ever owned. Once you use it you will wonder how you lived without 11ty buttons on your mouse like the mx or other logitech's have.

blitzraider

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
I have the explorer mouse and MX revolution. But i prefer the MX revolution for home use and the explorer mouse for my MBP when I can carry it around.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Remember that when you undergo your wrist surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome this time next year :p

Seriously though. I created a thread in the peripherals room about how I wanted to love the Mighty Mouse, but it caused me much physical pain! My hand and wrist were achy so I went back to my Logitech MX Revolution. No pain at all!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Wireless "Mighty Mouse" for the day to day stuff, for precision work I switch to a Razer "DeathAdder" has it`s own native Mac drivers & interface. On the fly sensitivity allows for a very fine level of control, has five profiles with a high level of customization.

It`s gaming heritage makes for an excellent precision tool :)

You don`t specifically need the MAc version, either Mac or PC is fine, only needing to download the latest Mac driver from Razer.

Q-6

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Take this from an owner of 20+ Logitech mice and 2 of Apple's Mighty Mouse...

Mighty Mouse is a love-it-or-hate-it product. If you're accustomed to resting a finger on the right mouse button, Mighty Mouse will drive you bonkers, as it won't register a left-click then... the miniscule scroll ball is actually pretty nice, it's 4-way, and scrolling horizontally the same way you scroll vertically is great (Logitech has tried a hundred different designs for sideways scrolling but all of them have been flakey).

Lately I've been using a wired Mighty Mouse for my laptop (I normally use a Logitech VX Nano which is awesome, but tiny), and I'm actually starting to appreciate its soap bar look-and-feel... it's an old one that predates laser, just standard optical tracking with a bright red diode, but I like it.

The wireless Mighty Mouse, however, sucks. First there's the weight. It's only 2 AA batteries but it feels 5 times heavier than the wired version. Normally I like a heavy mouse, but the thing is that the mighty mouse doesn't have those nice slippery feet you'll find on a Logitech Mouse. Instead it's got a ring of hard(ish) plastic around the base, and it's got somewhat of a sharp edge. If you have a hard precision surface of glass or metal you can feel the wireless Mighty Mouse scraping against it like nails against a blackboard. It feels like you're chiselling off little bits of either the mouse or the surface. Also, it's ludicrously overpriced considering how primitive it is. You'd think with all of Apple's battery research they'd have introduced rechargable Li-Ion mice and keyboards long ago, but no, it's back to the 1990's with AA batteries that run out in no time (the VX Nano gives me about 90 full workdays with two tiny AAA batteries, the Mighty Mouse gives me 30 days tops with two larger AA ones). Also, the tracking on suspicious surfaces is miserable. And it's extremely sensitive to interference on the 2.4 GHz band, if you have a wireless home you'll often find when using the Mighty Mouse that the mouse cursor grinds to a halt for no apparent reason. Finally, there's a bit of lag as well (Bluetooth has nothing on Logitech's proprietary 2.4 GHz wireless technology).

Here are my picks:

Precision work: Logitech G9 (or the new G9x). It's a wired mouse but it's just stunning, not only for gaming but for graphic design it's simply wonderful. If you're wireless crazy, I suppose you could get the Logitech G7 which has the same precision and also allows you to switch the sensitivity on the fly with buttons on the mouse, but prepare yourself for a lot of battery swapping (it comes with two Li-Ion batteries, you charge one while using the other), at least 2 times daily. And also it doesn't have Logitech's nifty 'free wheel' scrolling like the G9, MX Revolution, VX Revolution (dud!), VX Nano etc. The G9/G9X is very much a desktop mouse, though, the cable is like six miles long and very stiff, very inconvenient for laptop use.

2nd choice for precision work: Mighty Mouse wired.

General purpose: Logitech MX Revolution. It's a very nice mouse, what can I say, you already have one...

Notebook, general purpose: VX Nano. The microscopic plug-and-forget receiver is great, gives you much better response than Bluetooth. The battery life is otherworldly. And it tracks on any surface, even my cat(!).

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
yeh but those MX revolutions and PC alternatives look BUTT ugleeee
The MX Revolution looks "BUTT ugleeee" but the Mighty Mouse looks good?
Mmmmkay. You're clearly too drowsy from the Apple kool-aid to even be helped if you think a mouse that looks like a cross between a soap bar and a 1991 PC mouse looks better than sophisticated Swiss designed eye candy...

Incidentally, Logitech is the only company at the moment that makes input devices that match the new black & silver look of the Macs. DiNovo Edge and DiNovo for Mac (both glossy black/brushed aluminium), MX Revolution and VX Nano (black with glossy black accents), G9X European version (black with silver grip... Americans get a black grip, sorry)... these things match an alu iMac or MacBook so much better than Apple's stupid white peripherals that were designed for the previous generation of Macs from the white era (circa 2003-2007).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.