Mighty Mouse. What a disgrace!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeT125, Sep 30, 2009.

1. MikeT125 macrumors regular

I am sick and tired of cleaning, or attempting to clean out the roller ball on this mouse. It is just beyond me why such an advanced computer (my iMac) has such a temperamental mouse that so easily gets dirty and is not readily cleanable. I have several times tried cleaning this tiny mouse ball with alcohol but there must be something down deep in there that just does not want to come out.

Why can't Apple make some sort of removable panel that will allow users to clean this thing? I am simply stunned that after all these years we still have to put up with this poorly designed (never thought I'd say that about Apple) mouse. I am just done with this thing. I have put an old Microsoft mouse on this computer. ARRRRGH!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm sorry to say this, but Apple has never made a good mouse. Personally I like Logitech mice, they may not go well with the design of the Apple computers, but they are darn comfortable and nice! I'm a big fan of the Revolution series, I have both a VX and MX Revolution :)

3. three macrumors 6502a

three

The best fix for the scroll ball on the mighty mouse is to get a blank piece of white computer paper, turned the mouse upside down and vigorously rub the scroll wheel across the paper up and down and from side to side for about 30 seconds.

4. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Well, I like the Mighty Mouse.
    (ducks)

The same thing that annoys a lot of people is my favorite feature- the tiny, quick and sensitive scroll ball thing.
    It works out well for me. The "right click" is a little odd, but OK. I love the ability to scroll diagonally quickly and easily.

It has only one weakness: the scroll ball gets dirty IF you have dirty fingers.
    If it does happen to get dirty, just turn it upside down and scroll away.

Mostly, don't eat while computering and it does fine.

SOMEBODY somewhere had to like the beleaguered Mighty Mouse...
    and it just happened to be me. :eek:

Have Fun,
    Keri

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

+1 for the MX Rev. I've had one for about 2 years now, and it's been perfect. They are expensive, but i'd rather have 1 MX Rev than 2 or 3 Mighty Mice.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oily fingered folks have an even more tough time! :eek:

That being said, I've never had any real problems with my Might Mouse's trackball, so I actually rather like the design. I can see where others that don't are coming from, though.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Watch for them on Black Friday, I got my MX Revolution for $35 last year :D

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You're not alone. :)

I've had the MM since they were wired and never had much trouble with them (I've had the BT model since they first came out, too). The worse I ever had was the scroll ball being intermittent in one direction - easily fixed with the recommended cleaning procedure.

I find the mouse very comfortable, and I like the scroll ball. My MM gets used daily and it's very reliable. Maybe I wash my hands too much?? ;)

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Wait. You can do that? :confused:

10. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Seriously, change your mouse. You'll be fighting with the .mighty. for years to come.

It's a crap mouse. It's the only thing that apple does which is still current, that in my view is crap.

Get a logitech, the Rev Mx's are very good, like the others have said.

You'll be way more productive concentrating on your work and not that damn mouse :)

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Don't be silly. The best was the hockey puck. I preferred it before they added the little indentation to show which way was forward, though. It made mousing so much more interesting.

12. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I love the Mighty Mouse

I love the Mighty Mouse.

I agree that the teenie scroll ball thing does tend to collect goo and stop working, for me at least, every six to eight weeks. To solve this, I keep a very inexpensive lens cleaning kit that I got years ago close at hand.

As soon as MM starts acting flaky I squirt a couple of drops of the alcohol-based cleaning solution onto the small lint-free cloth that came with the kit, invert the mouse onto the cloth and move the inverted mouse's little ball around on the cloth.

The kit was <$5 and this takes me less than 60 seconds every six or eight weeks. Totally worth it for such a great mouse.

Of course, this is just my $0.02 worth...

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You guys with the MX Rev mouse need to step your game up and get the Performance MX, sweet mouse.

Ive never had a problem with the scroll ball on my MM.

14. mac2x macrumors 65816

The bottom line is the MM is great when the scroll ball is working. A vigorous rub with the mouse upside down and a lint-free cloth has always taken care for the ball. It sucks for gaming, but is generally a nice mouse IMHO.

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've had two wireless Mighty Mice for about two years. I read all these posts about cleaning the scroll balls, but after all this time with above average use on both... I've never cleaned either one and have had zero issues.

I guess I got lucky and got magical mice. :confused:

16. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I'm truly happy for you that you like it. I won't throw stuff at you. But the reason I bought a logitech mouse is that when you have to game and use both right mouse button and left mouse button at the same time that it is impossible to do that.

(And I didn't want to clean it all the time)

But I have to say, the mouse is better integrated. With one push spaces and such on the side of your mouse. Oh, and I believe the mouse lacks a middle/scroll button

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

A new MM with a touch-sensitive 'nipple' rather than one that actually moves is surely the future. Why it's taking Apple SO long to update their mouse is beyond me.

That said, we've many MMs in our office and, while we've had replacements over the years (free in warranty due to the balls clogging), they do work very well.

18. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Think Apple is making a new one soon to replace the MM. That's why I'm holding off from buying a Razer right now. :\

19. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Buy a Razer. Whatever Apple comes out with, I guarantee it won't be any good.

20. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Well, I'm waiting right now just to see.

The mockups are amazing.

[​IMG]

"Recently Apple has patented multi-touch technology for a mouse, so the boys and girls at MacBlogz decided to come up with a possible concept of what the mouse would look like. Looks pretty cool, I can’t wait for it to become reality, my current mighty mouse proves it self to be already rich in features. I can only imagine what the new one will bring."-ArtisticThings

[​IMG]

Update: After using Mighty Mouse for a while for designing, I really like how it 360° scrolls.

21. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

I have ICLEAN which I always use to clean my white macbook.. the ball on my MM stop scrolling up, so I sprayed the ICLEAN a few times on the ball and let it seep into the gap around the ball, continually rolling the ball around slowly.. While doing this, I could see all the grime from under the ball coming out....
    Now my MM is working like new.....
    Try this... I got the Iclean from the Apple store... It comes with a microfiber cloth also.....

22. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

What ever happened to ergonomically designed mice? After an hour of using that mouse and your hand will be suing for separate maintenance.

23. weckart macrumors 68040

The best fix for the mighty mouse is to open the lid on the dustbin and put the ergonomic disaster zone in it. Apple has not the slightest clue what makes a decent mouse or keyboard. It only aims for pretty and ends up with pretty useless.

This.

24. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that doesn't look well-designed at all. It looks purely aesthetic.

Apple's problem is that they still can't admit they need a REAL 2-button or multi-button mouse.

The Mighty Mouse is finicky, the left and right click don't work 100%, and the scroll point is always getting clogged with something or other. Both of these issues could be solved by putting 2 REGULAR BUTTONS on the mouse, and a tilting scroll wheel made of something other than leftover mouse balls from the 90's.

I mean, really. The Mighty Mouse has 2 buttons, and it seems like only reason it uses the finicky sensor to tell if you're right or left clicking is so they can say they've never made a 2-button mouse, because it goes against their "ease of use" design philosophy.

It just boggles my mind how ridiculously backward they are about some things.

25. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The mice suck, but the aluminum keyboard is the best I've ever used. The low-travel keys allow me to type super fast and with a minimum of hand motion. It takes some getting used to after the amount of force required to type on a normal keyboard, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

The funny thing is that Mac fanboys announce smugly that Apple never hides stuff under a right-click menu because it impairs usability, but there are in fact functions in Finder that cannot be accessed except with a right- or control-click.