Migrating BootCamp to new drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluedogz, Aug 1, 2011.

1. bluedogz macrumors newbie

Hello all-

I'm sure this has been answered here somehow, but all my searches only turned up partial answers... I may be using incorrect terms...

I have a late-2009 white MB, Snow Leopard 10.6.8, BC partition with W7. Needed a bigger drive because I keep to much &^$! in iTunes, so swapped in a 750GB drive.

I then restored the new drive by restoring from a Time Capsule backup. The bad news is, this did not restore my BootCamp partition! And I need W7 for school!

So, I guess I could just plug the old 250GB drive into a dock and run Migration Assistant. Am I missing something there?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

1. Use Winclone to create an image file of the original BC partition on the old drive.

It's probably best to put the old drive in a USB case (Or, use one of the bare drive cables or "toaster" adapters. Though, a USB case is probably the cheapest.) Then, you can just save the above image on the 750GB drive and not have to deal with moving the file around,

2. On the new drive, use Bootcamp Assistant to create a new Windows partition (equal or larger than your original).

3. Use Winclone to restore the image to the new drive's BC partition. If your new partition is larger than the original, Winclone can expand the Windows partition to fill the new physical BC partition (NTFS only, I believe).

3. bluedogz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I has already stuck the old drive into a $20 enclosure, so there's that done.

WinClone- good stuff! This topic went from posting to problem solved inside 30 minutes... thanks for the comprehensive and concise response!