Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Hello. I am new to MacRumors, and really glad I found this website.

Am having lots of Mac problems lately, so maybe you all can help me out?

My first question is this...

I use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to backup my old Mac running Big Sur.

If I get a new MacBook Pro with whatever is the latest OS, will my backup be of any se on the new Mac?

Obviously restoring a backup on the same machine should work, but I worry that going from an old Intel-based MBP with an old OS to a new Silicon chipset and an OS that is at least a cuple versions newer might make my CCC backup not work. Or, maybe it will be a problem because it is like trying to install Windows 95 onto a brand new PC.

How hard will a migration be? And might I be forced to just copy over my data files and have to lose all of my apps and app settings and preferences with such a large migration?

Worried about this... :confused:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The CCC backup you use now is PERFECT for migrating to the new Mac.

When the new MBP comes, do it this way:
1. Take the MBP out of the box.
2. DO NOT OPEN THE LID YET (because it will boot as soon as you open the lid and ask to begin setup). Hold on just a bit.
3. Connect your backup. You will need either a USBa-to-USBc cable or a USBc "adapter" like this:
(these are VERY handy to have, get TWO of them)
4. NOW open the lid for the very first time
5. The MBP will boot to the setup assistant. Start "clicking through".
6. When SA asks if you wish to migrate from another drive, YES, you do.
7. So... "point the way" to the backup
8. Give SA time to "digest" everything. It may take a few minutes
9. SA will present you with a list of stuff to migrate:
apps
accounts
settings
data

10. NOW YOU HAVE A CHOICE TO MAKE.
You could migrate everything, but then you may have to "weed out" apps that are too old or won't work at all
OR...
You could migrate everything EXCEPT apps. Then re-install newer copies as needed (your old app settings will be brought over because you left the "settings" option checked)
WHAT YOU DO HERE IS UP TO YOU.***
11. So... make the decision. I would recommend that you DO migrate accounts, settings, and data.
12. Then, turn SA loose and let it go to work. It will take a little time, be patient.
13. When done, you should see your login screen. So... log in and look around.

SAVE THIS POST, or print it out.
Follow it, and I guarantee you will be successful (well, 98% guarantee).:cool:

Good luck.

*** My recommendation:
DON'T migrate apps.
Instead, once you complete the procedure above, you could try each app by double-clicking on it ON YOUR BACKUP drive.
See if it will run that way.
This gives you a chance to try the app BEFORE you actually migrate it.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
@Fishrrman,

Wow! What an introduction to MacRumors! *LOL*

2. DO NOT OPEN THE LID YET (because it will boot as soon as you open the lid and ask to begin setup). Hold on just a bit.
3. Connect your backup. You will need either a USBa-to-USBc cable or a USBc "adapter" like this:

You seriously mean to tell me that if I bought a new MBP and took it out of the box, that it would power on simply by opening the laptop display?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"You seriously mean to tell me that if I bought a new MBP and took it out of the box, that it would power on simply by opening the laptop display?"

Yes.
That is EXACTLY what happens.

You'll see what I mean when you open the lid.
But you DO NOT want to begin setup until your backup is "in hand" and ready!

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
"You seriously mean to tell me that if I bought a new MBP and took it out of the box, that it would power on simply by opening the laptop display?"

Yes.
That is EXACTLY what happens.

You'll see what I mean when you open the lid.
But you DO NOT want to begin setup until your backup is "in hand" and ready!

@Fishrrman,

Technology is starting to scare me these days!

Is the laptop running out of the factory?

Is there no way to truly shut off your computer?

And do new MBP's no longer have a "power" button?

Last edited:

JohnMaldaner

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2016
Kentucky

apps
accounts
settings
data

You could migrate everything, but then you may have to "weed out" apps that are too old or won't work at all
OR...
You could migrate everything EXCEPT apps. Then re-install newer copies as needed (your old app settings will be brought over because you left the "settings" option checked)
11. So... make the decision. I would recommend that you DO migrate accounts, settings, and data.
12. Then, turn SA loose and let it go to work. It will take a little time, be patient.

Good luck.

*** My recommendation:
DON'T migrate apps.
Instead, once you complete the procedure above, you could try each app by double-clicking on it ON YOUR BACKUP drive.
Thank you for the detailed instructions! I have a 2012 iMac that I am soon to replace with a M2 Mac Mini. These instructions will help me a bunch!!

Last edited:

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002

apps
accounts
settings
data

OR...

Good luck.

*** My recommendation:
DON'T migrate apps.
I second this approach. Used it after he posted in another migration thread.
Worked perfectly.

Reactions: JohnMaldaner

JV8

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2021

apps
accounts
settings
data

OR...

Good luck.

*** My recommendation:
DON'T migrate apps.
You nailed it. This is by far the way to go.

Reactions: JohnMaldaner

mblm85

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Can anyone answer these questions?
The laptop is not running as it leaves the factory.

You can shut a Mac down by either pressing the Touch ID/Power button in the top right of the keyboard or through the Apple menu > Shut Down...

If you close the lid without shutting down, it goes to Sleep. This stores its current state and it goes into a minimal power mode. There is no need these days to keep shutting down a Mac. Putting it to sleep is fine and allows you to quickly resume what you were doing when you open the lid. I only shut down and restart if a program misbehaves.

When you open the lid, it will either boot up if you previously shut it down or you just received it, or it will resume from Sleep if you had previously just closed the lid.

Fishrrman's instructions are excellent.

Last edited:

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
OP:

You are OVER-THINKING things.
If you just follow the steps I outlined above, in PROPER ORDER, you will be fine.

Give it a try, ok...?

@Fishrrman,

I trust and appreciate your advice - and if I buy a new MBP will definitely follow your advice.

But my follow up questions were just trying to get out of the dark ages and understand how new laptops work.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
The laptop is not running as it leaves the factory.

You can shut a Mac down by either pressing the Touch ID/Power button in the top right of the keyboard or through the Apple menu > Shut Down...

If you close the lid without shutting down, it goes to Sleep. This stores its current state and it goes into a minimal power mode. There is no need these days to keep shutting down a Mac. Putting it to sleep is fine and allows you to quickly resume what you were doing when you open the lid. I only shut down and restart if a program misbehaves.

When you open the lid, it will either boot up if you previously shut it down or you just received it, or it will resume from Sleep if you had previously just closed the lid.

Fishrrman's instructions are excellent.

Okay, so I think that is the difference...

Apparently new MBP's are "intelligent" and assume that when you open the lid up that you want to power up the laptop, right?

Reactions: mblm85

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023

What if I don't wantmy new laptop to boot up when I open up the lid.

Is there a way to disable this behavior?

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
What if I don't wantmy new laptop to boot up when I open up the lid.

Is there a way to disable this behavior?
As far as I know, it usually doesn't boot up when you open the lid, only when it's in setup so that it can immerse you in the feeling of a new Mac. There might be a setting for it but I think you can keep it disabled and you can just turn on the Mac by pressing the power button.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"What if I don't wantmy new laptop to boot up when I open up the lid."

Tough luck. It's going to boot up anyway.

"Is there a way to disable this behavior?"

No. If there is, no one has discovered how to do it yet.
My guess is that Apple would have to make it possible, and as of yet -- they haven't.

Reactions: Ambrosia7177

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
OP wrote:
"What if I don't wantmy new laptop to boot up when I open up the lid."

Tough luck. It's going to boot up anyway.

"Is there a way to disable this behavior?"

No. If there is, no one has discovered how to do it yet.
My guess is that Apple would have to make it possible, and as of yet -- they haven't.

So that means I'm bringing my old laptop when I go on spy missions on the weekends. :cool:

Nothing more embarrassing than opening up your new laptop lid, and giving away your location!!

On a more serious note, I wonder if that would be a problem when you travel (or walk).

I have had the lid on my old MBP open up slightly when it was in my backpack or I was travelling.

Don't like the idea that my Mac powers without me explicitly telling it to.

In such a scenario, would it go into sleep mode after a few minutes, or do you run the risk of a dead laptop because the lid came slightly open?

(Engineers never seem to leave well enough alone...)

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
As far as I know, it usually doesn't boot up when you open the lid, only when it's in setup so that it can immerse you in the feeling of a new Mac. There might be a setting for it but I think you can keep it disabled and you can just turn on the Mac by pressing the power button.

Not according to @Fishrrman

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello. I am new to MacRumors, and really glad I found this website.

Am having lots of Mac problems lately, so maybe you all can help me out?

My first question is this...

I use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to backup my old Mac running Big Sur.

If I get a new MacBook Pro with whatever is the latest OS, will my backup be of any se on the new Mac?

Obviously restoring a backup on the same machine should work, but I worry that going from an old Intel-based MBP with an old OS to a new Silicon chipset and an OS that is at least a cuple versions newer might make my CCC backup not work. Or, maybe it will be a problem because it is like trying to install Windows 95 onto a brand new PC.

How hard will a migration be? And might I be forced to just copy over my data files and have to lose all of my apps and app settings and preferences with such a large migration?

Worried about this... :confused:
Honestly, I'm not a fan of using either the migration assistant or Carbon Copy Cloner. ESPECIALLY if you are moving from Intel to Apple Silicon. Unless you had your data in all sorts of wacky locations (and not filed away in your home folders in the appropriate sub-folders), you generally can just copy your data from the home folders of one and into the home folders of the other. iTunes/Music Libraries and Photos Libraries will behave as they did before. And, as was stated earlier, you REALLY don't want to move applications over unless they are naturally portable and don't reference data stored in some other Library folder location (and even then, it's better to just install them afresh).

One thing you may want to consider is that starting with macOS Catalina (10.15; the one immediately before Big Sur/11.x.y), 32-bit Intel apps won't work. So, if you have any 32-bit Intel apps on your current Mac, I'd give thought to looking for either newer versions or replacements.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Honestly, I'm not a fan of using either the migration assistant or Carbon Copy Cloner. ESPECIALLY if you are moving from Intel to Apple Silicon. Unless you had your data in all sorts of wacky locations (and not filed away in your home folders in the appropriate sub-folders), you generally can just copy your data from the home folders of one and into the home folders of the other. iTunes/Music Libraries and Photos Libraries will behave as they did before. And, as was stated earlier, you REALLY don't want to move applications over unless they are naturally portable and don't reference data stored in some other Library folder location (and even then, it's better to just install them afresh).

One thing you may want to consider is that starting with macOS Catalina (10.15; the one immediately before Big Sur/11.x.y), 32-bit Intel apps won't work. So, if you have any 32-bit Intel apps on your current Mac, I'd give thought to looking for either newer versions or replacements.

@Yebubbleman,

Glad you posted these comments.

Had a crazy week, and forgot to ask the very thing you bring up.

Yeah, if I also wonder if it makes sense to bring everything over via a "restore" onto a brand new laptop.

I will probably be getting an M2, so it's a new chipset, with new hardware, and as discussed earlier, I will be forced to use Ventura.

It seems to me that restoring from something like CCC makes sense if it is the same machine and OS, but if I am migrating from an ancient machine/OS to a brand new machine/OS, then maybe it's like moving all of your garbage and junk from an old house in the ghetto to your new mansion?

I agree that starting over has many merits, but of course, i don't want to lose any data along the way!

Being an organized person, most of my data/dos should be under my Home directory, however, maybe there is data lurking in other places on my old Mac that I need to grab also?

Off the topic of my head, here are some things I use where I'm not sure where the data is stored...

1.) Thunderbird

2.) Settings and preference for other applications

3.) Maybe something else I am forgetting?

I don't use the Photos app for the very reason that it puts all of your photos into some application database that you can't easily get at.

Also, how do I know if an application that I use is 32-bit or 64-bit?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I will probably be getting an M2, so it's a new chipset, with new hardware, and as discussed earlier, I will be forced to use Ventura.

If the M2 based Mac you are getting is a 13-inch MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air, you can downgrade to macOS Monterey 12.4 or newer. I'm just not entirely sure why you'd want to. Definitely no older than 12.4.

If the M2 based Mac you are getting is a Mac mini, 14-inch MacBook Pro, or 16-inch MacBook Pro, then yeah, you're pretty much stuck with Ventura.

It seems to me that restoring from something like CCC makes sense if it is the same machine and OS, but if I am migrating from an ancient machine/OS to a brand new machine/OS, then maybe it's like moving all of your garbage and junk from an old house in the ghetto to your new mansion?

Kind of. Basically, the OS evolves, your software evolves, and with the Intel to Apple Silicon transition also being a factor here, it's just too much to make that sort of thing clean.

I agree that starting over has many merits, but of course, i don't want to lose any data along the way!

Right. The way to solve this is to be aware of what data you have and where it lives. If you want to preserve program preferences, it helps to know what those preferences even are, as that is how you will most efficiently recreate them. It's also entirely possible that preferences you are used to get changed in newer versions of the apps you use. Starting over in this case, while scary, is often for the best!

Being an organized person, most of my data/dos should be under my Home directory, however, maybe there is data lurking in other places on my old Mac that I need to grab also?

If you are worried about this, I'd set up your new Mac and use it alongside your old one so that you, over the first month or so of use, learn what you are missing and/or what you might be okay with living without.

Off the topic of my head, here are some things I use where I'm not sure where the data is stored...

1.) Thunderbird

Depends on what you are trying to preserve. If you are trying to preserve mail from an IMAP or Exchange account, this is silly since that stuff is all stored server side and gets synced down anyway. Signatures are probably easy to locate and back-up (though, you can also do the lazy method of just copying and pasting them into Thunderbird on your new Mac). POP3 mailboxes might be a different story. Though, I'm sure where those are stored is easy to find as well (though, if you use a POP3 e-mail account, might I suggest you move to something more modern?).

2.) Settings and preference for other applications

Which settings? For which applications? I'd inventory which apps the settings of which you care about. It might not be that hard of a task to merely recreate those settings manually, especially if you know what those settings are. Again, it's also possible that settings/preferences for your applications will have changed on newer versions of those applications and that you're much better off just doing these over from scratch.

3.) Maybe something else I am forgetting?

This is where running the two side-by-side for a little while will help you figure out what you're missing. If you go long enough without needing to reference the older computer, you're probably fine! Worst case scenario, if you want a safety blanket, either (a) don't throw out the old computer and/or (b) create a Time Machine backup of the old computer onto a drive (you may never need it, but you'll probably feel safer knowing its there if ever you change your mind!).

I don't use the Photos app for the very reason that it puts all of your photos into some application database that you can't easily get at.

It's definitely not a good solution for those that actually want control over the files themselves.

Also, how do I know if an application that I use is 32-bit or 64-bit?
System Information (known as "System Profiler" in older macOS versions) will have you covered here. You can find it in your Utilities folder within your Applications Folder. Navigate to "Applications" under "Software". Incidentally, if you are redownloading your software, there's a seriously good chance that the developer will state which OS the app you are trying to install will work on. If macOS Catalina, macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, or macOS Ventura are supported, then the app is, at the very least, a 64-bit Intel app, if not Universal, if not Apple Silicon only. Either way, it will run on an M2 Mac. Do be careful. Some apps, rather than having a Universal version, will have both Intel and Apple Silicon versions to download (VLC is a notable example of this). Needless to say, in those cases, the Apple Silicon version is preferable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.