Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
When moving from old to new, you can still use CCC (or SD), and it will still work just fine.

What you CAN do (to minimize moving old-to-new) is:
When you do the migration (via setup assistant), UNCHECK the choice for applications.

Now... what DOES get moved are accounts, settings, and data.
These are going to be the same whether setup assistant moves them, or if you move them "manually".

And -- once again -- having a cloned backup is THE BEST solution for migrating manually.
WHY?
Because a cloned disk mounts in the finder like any other disk.
You already know where stuff was on your old drive, right?
So... take care of permissions, and EVERYTHING will be "where it's supposed to be" on the cloned backup.
Easy to find. Easy to "grab". Easy to move.

I've done manual migrations like this.
ONE THING:
Be sure to keep paper and pencil nearby, to make notes of what needs to be moved and what HAS been moved...

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Hello. I am new to MacRumors, and really glad I found this website.

Am having lots of Mac problems lately, so maybe you all can help me out?

My first question is this...

I use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to backup my old Mac running Big Sur.

If I get a new MacBook Pro with whatever is the latest OS, will my backup be of any se on the new Mac?

Obviously restoring a backup on the same machine should work, but I worry that going from an old Intel-based MBP with an old OS to a new Silicon chipset and an OS that is at least a cuple versions newer might make my CCC backup not work. Or, maybe it will be a problem because it is like trying to install Windows 95 onto a brand new PC.

How hard will a migration be? And might I be forced to just copy over my data files and have to lose all of my apps and app settings and preferences with such a large migration?

Worried about this... :confused:
First, as usual Fishrrman has a great post.

You will find that you may have to reinstall some apps and may "loose" the settings and preferences for those apps. A particular "horror" are the various Adobe CC apps. After migration, the Adobe CC app will caution you that your existing installations may work poorly and recommends that you reinstall. This will totally delete all versions of the specific app chosen and will wipe the preferences, settings, and other stuff and nonsense (e.g. Actions, Workspaces, Keyboard shortcuts, ...). A lot of these can be recopied from your CCC backup after the Adobe reinstallation. I recently went through this with a new Mac Studio and things migrated from a late-2015 iMac (Intel).

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
If the M2 based Mac you are getting is a 13-inch MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air, you can downgrade to macOS Monterey 12.4 or newer. I'm just not entirely sure why you'd want to. Definitely no older than 12.4.

If the M2 based Mac you are getting is a Mac mini, 14-inch MacBook Pro, or 16-inch MacBook Pro, then yeah, you're pretty much stuck with Ventura.

Based on earlier comments, it seems dumb to not go with Ventura. (If I really needed an old OS, I could buy a used laptop and run it on that, however, that sort of siloes you from the modern work. So I guess it makes sense to just keep rolling with new updates from Apple and pray they don't do anything too radical.)

Kind of. Basically, the OS evolves, your software evolves, and with the Intel to Apple Silicon transition also being a factor here, it's just too much to make that sort of thing clean.

That is my thinking as well.

Right. The way to solve this is to be aware of what data you have and where it lives. If you want to preserve program preferences, it helps to know what those preferences even are, as that is how you will most efficiently recreate them. It's also entirely possible that preferences you are used to get changed in newer versions of the apps you use. Starting over in this case, while scary, is often for the best!

In the past I would take screenshpts of all of my application settings. Have gotten lazy over the last few years, and also don't know where those docs are at.

Even if I weren't upgrading, I really shoud do an inventory for every application and setting on my Mac, because if something happened like a hard-drive failed or my OS became corrupt, I would be screwed.

And I am not good enough to memorize all of my settings.

Also, I learned the hard way that there are a lot of settings that CCC cannot capture, and so if you don't have notes available, then you will lose your settings when you have to re-install - in my case Big Sur.

Furthermore, unless I win the lotto, I won't be able to get a new Mac for at least a few months, so I have time to think all of this through - and come back to MacRumors and ask questions when I am unsure.

If you are worried about this, I'd set up your new Mac and use it alongside your old one so that you, over the first month or so of use, learn what you are missing and/or what you might be okay with living without.

Another excellent idea - and one that I did when I purchased this MBP.

Yeah, if I run my old laptop and a new one in parallel, then I should pretty quickly be able to see where the missing data or applications or settings are at.

(This assumes that the display and logic board on this old crusty MBP don't die before I can buy a new one!)

Depends on what you are trying to preserve. If you are trying to preserve mail from an IMAP or Exchange account, this is silly since that stuff is all stored server side and gets synced down anyway. Signatures are probably easy to locate and back-up (though, you can also do the lazy method of just copying and pasting them into Thunderbird on your new Mac). POP3 mailboxes might be a different story. Though, I'm sure where those are stored is easy to find as well (though, if you use a POP3 e-mail account, might I suggest you move to something more modern?).

It's not fair POP3 isn't modern - it's just a different approach.

I (believe) I am running POP3 in Thunderbird, because some of my e-mails are hosted on a 3rd part webhost, and if they ever went out of business and there was a hack, or I forgot to renew my service, I run the risk of losing all of my emails.

So (I think) I have things et up to download read messages into my hard-drive so I can back them up and have more control.

Not everyone wants to put their lives on "the Cloud". *LOL*

Which settings? For which applications? I'd inventory which apps the settings of which you care about. It might not be that hard of a task to merely recreate those settings manually, especially if you know what those settings are. Again, it's also possible that settings/preferences for your applications will have changed on newer versions of those applications and that you're much better off just doing these over from scratch.

I agree.

This is where running the two side-by-side for a little while will help you figure out what you're missing. If you go long enough without needing to reference the older computer, you're probably fine! Worst case scenario, if you want a safety blanket, either (a) don't throw out the old computer and/or (b) create a Time Machine backup of the old computer onto a drive (you may never need it, but you'll probably feel safer knowing its there if ever you change your mind!).

I agree.

It's definitely not a good solution for those that actually want control over the files themselves.

Maybe a good topic for another thread some day., but suffice it to say that I don't like how all of these photos apps take away your control over your photo/video files.

Either way, iTunes, Photos, etc doesn't apply to me.

System Information (known as "System Profiler" in older macOS versions) will have you covered here. You can find it in your Utilities folder within your Applications Folder. Navigate to "Applications" under "Software".

Okay, thanks for telling me about that.

Interesting utility, but it doesn't specify 32-bit vs. 64-bit. I just see a column for Intel vs Universal.

And when I go to System Preferences for some of my apps, I don't see a listing anywhere if they are 32-bit or 64-bit, so is there a practical way to gather that information as I do an inventory of all of my current applications?

Incidentally, if you are redownloading your software, there's a seriously good chance that the developer will state which OS the app you are trying to install will work on.

True.

If macOS Catalina, macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, or macOS Ventura are supported, then the app is, at the very least, a 64-bit Intel app, if not Universal, if not Apple Silicon only. Either way, it will run on an M2 Mac. Do be careful. Some apps, rather than having a Universal version, will have both Intel and Apple Silicon versions to download (VLC is a notable example of this). Needless to say, in those cases, the Apple Silicon version is preferable.

So you are saying that anything currently running on my MBP with Big Sur will be 64-bit?

Thanks for all of the advice!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Based on earlier comments, it seems dumb to not go with Ventura. (If I really needed an old OS, I could buy a used laptop and run it on that, however, that sort of siloes you from the modern work. So I guess it makes sense to just keep rolling with new updates from Apple and pray they don't do anything too radical.)

Yeah, Ventura is about as glitchy as Monterey was, if not slightly less, in my experience.

In the past I would take screenshpts of all of my application settings. Have gotten lazy over the last few years, and also don't know where those docs are at.

Honestly, you might want to just try using each of your apps as they come and then change things as you feel like changing them. That's how I handle getting a new iPhone each time I do so and it's wonderful because I don't end up taking a whole heap of apps I don't care about along for the ride.

Even if I weren't upgrading, I really shoud do an inventory for every application and setting on my Mac, because if something happened like a hard-drive failed or my OS became corrupt, I would be screwed.

Applications, yes. Settings? Again, I'd say that if it bothers you, you'll know to change it, and if you don't, then it probably wasn't important to change to begin with.

It's not fair POP3 isn't modern - it's just a different approach.

POP3 is pretty antiquated. Only in use for small/cheap e-mail providers that are not in the business of hosting a robust and scalable e-mail service. There's a reason why businesses all use either Gmail for Business (IMAP) or some form of On-prem or Online Microsoft Exchange.

I (believe) I am running POP3 in Thunderbird, because some of my e-mails are hosted on a 3rd part webhost, and if they ever went out of business and there was a hack, or I forgot to renew my service, I run the risk of losing all of my emails.

So (I think) I have things et up to download read messages into my hard-drive so I can back them up and have more control.

I'm pretty sure Thunderbird stores that data somewhere you can get to and that said location is published publicly, so it shouldn't be THAT long of a Google search to find it and then archive it properly for transfer, back-up, or any other purpose you may have.

Not everyone wants to put their lives on "the Cloud". *LOL*

You may scoff at it, but this problem is not one that I have with all of my e-mail being IMAP. I have plenty of different computers, iPads, and mobile devices and I never have to worry about moving my e-mails over. They're all centralized and accessing them is a breeze! One less thing to worry about when I get a new computer, myself!

Either way, iTunes, Photos, etc doesn't apply to me.

Good. That'll make moving your files manually all the easier then!

Interesting utility, but it doesn't specify 32-bit vs. 64-bit. I just see a column for Intel vs Universal.

And when I go to System Preferences for some of my apps, I don't see a listing anywhere if they are 32-bit or 64-bit, so is there a practical way to gather that information as I do an inventory of all of my current applications?

So you are saying that anything currently running on my MBP with Big Sur will be 64-bit?

Thanks for all of the advice!
If you are currently running macOS Catalina or newer, and all of your applications launch with no issue, then they're all 64-bit.

Reactions: Ambrosia7177

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
When moving from old to new, you can still use CCC (or SD), and it will still work just fine.

What you CAN do (to minimize moving old-to-new) is:
When you do the migration (via setup assistant), UNCHECK the choice for applications.

Now... what DOES get moved are accounts, settings, and data.
These are going to be the same whether setup assistant moves them, or if you move them "manually".

But do I run the risk of bringing old garbage that could interfere with new applications and the OS?

I can speak from experience that in the past I have tried installing backups on WIndows, and it seemed to mess up the OS and applications.

In theory this shouldn't happen, but we all know how computers are.

Also, if a particular application has changed significantly from Intel to Apple Silicon, then might the application settings not be compatible, and thus create issues as mentioned above?

For instance, some more advanced applications like Audacity, Loopback Adobe CS apps, and so on, aren't as simple as say Libre Office or Firefox.

And -- once again -- having a cloned backup is THE BEST solution for migrating manually.
WHY?
Because a cloned disk mounts in the finder like any other disk.
You already know where stuff was on your old drive, right?
So... take care of permissions, and EVERYTHING will be "where it's supposed to be" on the cloned backup.
Easy to find. Easy to "grab". Easy to move.

Did you mean "CCC backup" or do you really mean "CCC bootable clone"?

I can speak from experience, that my CCC bootable clones no longer work on Big Sur. CCC says it has created a bootable clone, but 9 out of 10 times, my clones won't boot, or lock up my laptop, or there are other weird issues, so sadly - because of Apple's architectural decisions - CCC clones are a thing of the past.

I do run CCC backups on a daily basis, though.

I've done manual migrations like this.
ONE THING:
Be sure to keep paper and pencil nearby, to make notes of what needs to be moved and what HAS been moved...

Good suggestion.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
First, as usual Fishrrman has a great post.

You will find that you may have to reinstall some apps and may "loose" the settings and preferences for those apps. A particular "horror" are the various Adobe CC apps. After migration, the Adobe CC app will caution you that your existing installations may work poorly and recommends that you reinstall. This will totally delete all versions of the specific app chosen and will wipe the preferences, settings, and other stuff and nonsense (e.g. Actions, Workspaces, Keyboard shortcuts, ...). A lot of these can be recopied from your CCC backup after the Adobe reinstallation. I recently went through this with a new Mac Studio and things migrated from a late-2015 iMac (Intel).

Probably a pipe dream, but ideally I will get another new MBP to do photo/audio/video editing, because it seems like applications in those areas can really screw up an otherwise normal computer.

One of my goals this year is to learn more about photo/audio/video editing, and even though I plan on using DaVinci Resolve, tehre are some apps that are hard to beat like Adbobe Photoshop.

So when I get a new MBP, maybe I will hold off installing Adobe CS stuff to keep my daily laptop "clean".

Hopefully you got your situation fixed - not everyone is so locuk with Adobe products!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I can speak from experience, that my CCC bootable clones no longer work on Big Sur. CCC says it has created a bootable clone, but 9 out of 10 times, my clones won't boot, or lock up my laptop, or there are other weird issues, so sadly - because of Apple's architectural decisions - CCC clones are a thing of the past."

I have never, EVER had problems with cloned backups "not mounting" in the finder.

Of course you can't boot a cloned backup on a Mac that has a newer version of the OS. The OS has to be current enough to boot the Mac.

But it will mount in the finder, and it remains "an exact copy" of your source.
So (aside from booting), everything else will be there and should be "accessible".

I even have a cloned backup of my 2021 m1pro MacBook Pro 14".
Boots the computer just fine.
Creating one on an m-series Mac IS NOT THE SAME as it would be on an Intel-based Mac.
And... once made... you can't update the "sealed system volume".
But it will still boot the Mac, just as it would on an old Mac.

Other restrictions apply.
Seems that the best chance of success is to use an SSD if you want it bootable.
HDDs seem to be "seen" by the latest versions of the OS as simply too slow to be bootable (probably has something to do with VM and swapping).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.