Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmckenzie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2022
Apologies, I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I can't find a thread that matches my case much.

So, I am an Apple Music subscriber, iTunes user from the first version, and someone who has transitioned from having one personal Mac to having several older Macs. I had one designated music Mac, that I reimported my whole music library into from whatever the old Mac had been, just giving up on keeping my playlists and all metadata. That was an iMac with only 256 GB of storage, so the media files were stored on an external hd. This was before Apple Music launched. Library is about 600 GB but when I finally subscribed to Apple Music, over time, it successfully uploaded 99.5 percent of my files. Great!

But, this week my old tertiary Mac laptop died, and I decided to upgrade to a Mac Studio through the recent Costco deal. So I decommissioned the old music Mac, ported its ~/Music/ folder to the new Mac, moved the external HD to the new Mac, and launched Music.app. I prefer not to do any kind of migration from old Macs to new Macs, backup and replication seemingly being somewhat deprecated by Apple in favor of generally being Cloud-first. After a bit everything filled in but I could see that it was just representing my cloud library — for music files that existed locally, I could not right click and choose "show in finder" for example. Despite the music library pointing to the correct location on the external drive.

What is it I have to do to get back to the state of having one canonical Mac music library, which Music.app knows is stored locally on an external drive, and keeps synced to the cloud?

Thanks so much, a music hoarder.

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
how did you migrate? you just moved it manually?
I'm not 100% sure but when I did something similar in 2013 I was missing some files and the whole manual migration looked kinda weird. Not sure if that's your same situation, and I'm not sure if moving manually kinda corrupts something we can't see.

Probably the best way would have been to use migration assistant and migrate just that folder under ~/Music into the new Mac's external drive.

~

Another thing you could do now is to turn off iCloud Music Library (you won't see any music in the Music app at this point) and then Import the music from the external drive.
If you just move the media folder, iTunes (Music) won't process it automatically (but it does with migration assistant), so you have to go through this again.
It will take some time, and when you are done you can turn iCloud Music Library back on to sync.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.