Millions of iPhones returned to Foxconn?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamkarlp, Apr 21, 2013.

1. iamkarlp macrumors regular

Don't know if this is complete B.S. or not, but TheRegister has a story up right now of 5~8M iphones being returned to Foxconn as not fit for sale.

I wonder if they were 5's or 5S's.....?

Either way, if the story is accurate 1+ Billion dollars of bad merchandise would smart even the largest of global players.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/22/apple_returns_iphones_to_foxconn/

Karl "Take it with a bucket of salt" P

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I would say Apple is sending back the A1428 "OLD" back to their factory to get refurbished and 1700MHz band enabled....because it seems every person that gets their iPhone5 replaced now is getting the new 1700MHz enabled version...so it makes sense that all of a sudden apple is sending back a increased number of units.

3. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

4. rockitdog Suspended

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It isn't. Even the worst fever-dream scenarios about the upcoming numbers look fantabulous versus any other tech company. Only the stock price is sagging thanks to the insane lemming behavior of the market. A single-digit P/E ratio for this company is just demented. Compare to Amazon, for example-- it's truly astonishing, yet no one is calling for Bezos' head.

And in some sense it's inevitable. When Jobs was in charge, the street granted him grudging respect but wished for a steadier hand at the helm. In Cook they have that. In fact, Jobs never got credit for the team he built. That's the root problem for Apple's valuation even today.

I wish it were physically possible for the company to go private so we can end this whole flying monkey circus of a stock spectacle and let it get on with making great products, but it's just too massive.

6. darster Suspended

The problem with Apple is they act as if Steve Jobs is still alive. All the rumors that Steve created the iPhone 5 and 6 and it seems like the company has been standing still for 2 years waiting for the last of Steve Job's ideas to come to fruition. Cook seems like a caretaker afraid to move forward.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Sigh.

How many years went by between iPod and iPhone? Between iPhone and iPad?

What would you have had Cook do? Netbooks? TVs? It's a serious question. Samsung makes less money selling many times the phone and computer models Apple has, and they make refrigerators and washing machines and rice cookers too. HTC is a basket case. Dell and HP are circling the drain. Nokia is a goner. Motorola is absorbed.

Is it not possible that Apple is doing something right?

8. macalec macrumors 6502

I somewhat agree with you. Its like they are not wanting to move on their own direction. They need to start making new items that are designed with cook at the helm.

9. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

half the members here would probably want apple to make every bit of electronic one can think of...but thats not ideal in the real world....Apple does things slowly...and doesn't just keep moving up, up and up....hence why they are so big today...if they kept jumping like a monkey (Samsung) from one thing to another rather than making what they already have better then they wouldn't be where we are today....and we wouldn't have what we have today either. How many companies have been around since Apple's launch days? probably more than half of them that exist today...except everyone concentrated on "Cheap" and Quantity, but barely anyone cared about "Quality" and apple...well they did just that.

HTC made the HTC ONE now....that phone is gorgeous but couldn't they think of that like 3 years ago? no...they made ugly designs. Samsung just went on to Phablets and then couldn't decide how big their phablet should be...well we still don't know when they are going to finalize on the size lol

Also android is a great system, but I find it its still too cluttered...why couldnt HTC or any other company create another OS...If I'm correct iOS and even OSX is based off of Linux (or an extension of that)...so why did everyone just take the cheap route and use google's android? I bet Samsung as hungry it is for fame and money if they had really sat down to think about their products they would have came up with a OS (I read in the recent months that Samsung is finally thinking of going with another OS rather than Android) that was totally unique to its ecosystem.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Me thinks this is an enterprising Foxconn employee looking for extra income.

11. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

I do wonder what they are suppose to do, it is hard to make something amazing every year, no one really does that, it is about upgrades and then after a few years something new comes along. There are things Apple should do yet most of those fall into the upgrade category.

People get bored so easily these days.

12. poliryh macrumors newbie

I wish it were physically possible for the company to go private so we can end this whole flying monkey circus of a stock spectacle and let it get on with making great products, but it's just too massive.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

This is probably the reason, they have replaced all of their refurbished 1428 phones with the new tmobile frequency.

14. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

This is good quality assurance by Apple, sending back defective phone's before hitting the consumer. Foxcon need a wee pants kick to get their quality back up.

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

What about the POS iPhone 5 phones that made it for sale and had to be replaced by Apple.

I was in my local Apple store this weekend, and while sitting waiting for a Genius to help us, 4 people had various IPH5's white, Black, 16, 32, 64gb models and 3 of us had our phones replace 3X for issues. I had trouble with the home button on one, phone would not go into LTE on another, and last swap, phone kept losing WiFi. People who were there had similar issues etc, but it seems this one I got seems to be flawless for now. I even had to give up my Jailbreak because the new one was 6.1.3 already :rolleyes:but that being said, I also have a white 16gb from work with no issues.

Just seems there were a lot of people in the store with issues on their IP5's more so then any other model I ever noticed except the glass and antenna gate on the 4's.

Anyone else notice that the IP5 seems to be more problematic then other models were? Ihave every phone each year since the 3G, the one with the least trouble was my 3GS, and 4S, I only had the 3G for a short period of time, and handed my 4 down to my son which ran for 2 years before the home button crapped out.

16. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Nope. Mine is fine and I don't know of a single person with a problem with theirs. Literally. Everyone I know loves their iphone 5.

17. praterkeith macrumors regular

praterkeith

I agree and to an extent the only person I can think of on an innovation level is Jonathon Ive. NOT saying he should take over Steve's old job because software isn't Ive's niche, BUT I do believe he could push technology forward like Steve did to keep up with his design. He could take on a bigger role. Just my opinion.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Someone posted a very nice comeback to all these naysayers: Basically, if you think Tim Cook doesn't do a good job and Apple should have hired someone else, who should they have hired? Which CEO of a major or minor technology firm has introduced an amazing new product after Apple introduced the iPad? I mean if people complain that Apple isn't doing anything new, who is? (And 5" phones are not new; we had bigger phones in the 80's :D )

19. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

I have issues with many things Apple does however I also see what they have done, they did have to do a few things before other companies came along with their own versions. After a few years other models may be better in some ways and worse in others. Others did beat them to the smaller tablet market. It may not hurt having two options for phone sizes, I am not so sure they should go to the super phone only, it is getting too the point where no one can get a current really nice 3.5-4.0 phone aside from the iPhone, some people may not be comfortable with a tablet phone.

Doing some major updates along with working on IOS7 sounds fine to me. Right now I want more feature, tasks I can do with a jailbroken phone. (To a degree) As for hardware, no idea what would be AMAZING right now. Most of these items are not even that old. Few years ago people had the same phone for half a decade.

20. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I think that sounds about right even if you give them a conservative 10% failure rate. I don't see why anyone would think this was unusual given how many they have sold.

21. dewthedru macrumors regular

lol. 10% failure rate? that would be awful quality metrics for consumer products.

22. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I'm not talking about failures once they reach the consumer. 10-15% is not unusual in manufacturing of electronics. Most of the time the issues are fixed before final assembly however. In this case, the "rumor" was not specific about when the specific manufacturing defects were found.

23. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

It is not a matter of loving the phone, I think we all do, it is a matter of having a hardware issue that is unavoidable and Apple tested each one to show me the HW report that showed they were HW based errors before they swapped out my phones. In this case nothing I could have done, nor anyone having an issue for that matter, but I guess I felt this way about my 4S not one ounce of trouble, but others did with the antenna and light leaking from the sides with the white one.

24. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

I like mine, but I am on my 3rd replacement..

had mine since release, first few months were fine, but after that, the back camera lens started accumulating lint/dust....

consider yourselves fortunate and not have to deal with these problems..