Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Minecraft Player Spends 232 Hours Building Apple Campus 2

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's spaceship-shaped campus in Cupertino, California has been under construction for several years and is one of the most expensive, ambitious buildings in the United States.

While Apple has been hard at work putting the finishing touches on the campus, which is slated to open later this year, Minecraft player Alex Westerlund has been building a Minecraft version of Apple's second campus.

According to Westerlund, building the campus in Minecraft took him 232 hours over the course of a year. He used construction plans along with topographical maps to create an accurate rendition of the campus, down to the land it's built on.

As can be seen in the video, the ring-shaped main building has been faithfully recreated, with its curved glass windows, massive doors, solar panels, window awnings, and more. Westerlund says the main building is "absolutely massive" at 469 blocks across, with every hill, path, and orchard placed according to construction plans.

The courtyard of the building includes trails, two cafes, a cafeteria patio, cherry trees, a fitness center, and a fountain, while the interior features atriums and a huge cafeteria built to match a publicly released rendering.

Apple's real second campus is nearing completion. According to the latest drone video, construction crews are hard at work on landscaping and are wrapping up work on solar panels and a nearby research and development facility. The campus is expected to be finished in 2017, but exactly when employees will move in remains unclear.

Westerlund tells MacRumors that as Apple continues work on its campus, he'll continue to flesh out his virtual version, putting in up to four hours of active building time per day.

Article Link: Minecraft Player Spends 232 Hours Building Apple Campus 2

LukasValine

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
232 hours sounds like a lot, but I suppose that's because he placed every block by hand. You could probably get a similar result in a lot less time using tools to modify worlds outside of minecraft, but I doubt it have the same polish. This the voxel equivalent of creating fine pixel art.

Comment

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
232 hours sounds like a lot, but I suppose that's because he placed every block by hand. You could probably get a similar result in a lot less time using tools to modify worlds outside of minecraft, but I doubt it have the same polish. This the voxel equivalent of creating fine pixel art.
232 hours IS a lot of time. But if you break it down, it's only 4.5 hours a week over the course of a year. I KNOW many of us waste more time than that doing trivial things.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
He says 232 hours, but he probably did it in 20 with MCEdit, lol. At 469 blocks across, that's 29 chunks, so make sure to turn up your render distance if you want to see across the building, haha. Pretty neat. He should upload an isometric render using Chunky.

Last edited:
Comment

tippytap90

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2017
Didn't even know the plans were public. I thought the odd drone photo and the huge wall of trees around the place was about as close as we could get.

Reactions: coolfactor
Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Quite impressive. Reminds me a little of some Frank LLoyd Wright's work.

My hat is off!

The one time that I tried to pay Minecraft, I was very disoriented, and wasn't terribly impressed. But this virtual version of Apple Campus 2 shines a new light on it! I'm hugely impressed by this, and I hope that Apple (or Microsoft, for that matter) takes notice!

Comment

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Why do all these apple videos have the same thought-invoking electronic music?

Someone needs to break the mold with an iPhone X concept video with Slayer as the music...

Comment

Narrator Jack

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Facetime Audio me when Apple uses this as their official video for the grand opening.
Minecrafted.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6836838
Comment

xDKP

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
My goodness! I haven't even got enough time to play Battlefield on my Xbox just twice a week! Impressive to use that enormous amount of time on a single project

Reactions: GenesisST
Comment

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Why do all these apple videos have the same thought-invoking electronic music?

Someone needs to break the mold with an iPhone X concept video with Slayer as the music...

The Electronic Music reflects the smart and peaceful environment of the Apple Campus, but save Slayer for the TNT Scene... :D:eek:

Comment

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Why?
[doublepost=1487189703][/doublepost]He should have used AutoCad or something. It's very blocky! ;)

Reactions: JosephAW
Comment

theluggage

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2011
If I had done that my kids would have come in and placed TNT all under it, detonated it then asked me to build it again.

Nicesssssss campussssssssssssssss (blam!)

Impressive, I suppose, but where's the redstone logic simulation of an Apple 1 in the basement? (Someone has done a universal Turing machine in redstone so it must be possible).

Reactions: Centris 650
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.