Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
232 hours IS a lot of time. But if you break it down, it's only 4.5 hours a week over the course of a year. I KNOW many of us waste more time than that doing trivial things.

Exactly. And more likely than not, he got a bug and poured hours in at the beginning, then has taken a few hours a week - if that - to tweak it as updates come. I know I waste more time on a few different websites (this being one) than he does on that project.

Do you think there will be any pokéstops and gyms inside Apple's new campus?

With the average (non-Apple employee) players luck, there will be a major Dratini or Snorlax spawn inside the ring!

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
You don't know the guy nor how he lives.
He could well be unemployed, retired, has plenty of money so he does not have to work, disabled .....or other reasons.

I take my hat of for this.

I think he meant that binge-watching the entire series of Breaking Bad would have been just as productive.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I spent over 400 hours in Skyrim and I didn't get a MacRumors story. So I am certainly in no position to judge. Good for this dude! A wonderful example of dedication, attention to detail and creative energy.

Mr. Westerlund, I salute you sir, and bid you ignore the cruel taunts of those who dare not create! And if anyone with any influence from Apple is reading... (... well first of all how about some decent new desktop macs, huh? But also,) how about inviting this guy for a guided tour once the new campus is complete eh? Would be great publicity and a great end to the story.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Why not LEGOs?

Because there's no such thing. Did you mean LEGO bricks? ;)

Lego said:
The word LEGO is a brand name, and is very special to all of us in the LEGO Group Companies. We would sincerely like your help in keeping it special. Please always refer to our products as “LEGO bricks or toys” and not “LEGOS.” By doing so, you will be helping to protect and preserve a brand of which we are very proud, and that stands for quality the world over. Thank you!”

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
Imagine what he could have done if he had put his skills to good use.

This is what creativity looks like. Some of the best creations in the world come from the types of people who enjoy this sort of trivial activity. Let us have some fun every now and then. ;)

Nicesssssss campussssssssssssssss (blam!)

Impressive, I suppose, but where's the redstone logic simulation of an Apple 1 in the basement? (Someone has done a universal Turing machine in redstone so it must be possible).

Looking over the architecture, it's actually quite simple. Challenge accepted. :)

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
the campus is nice, but the calculator/alu/mini-computer built within Minecraft are more impressive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.