Minecraft Talk :)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Huntn, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Huntn, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Using the Xbox Live Cloud
    I have some Minecraft worlds that reside on my Xbox 360. I keeper them backed up on a thumb drive, but am assuming that to get them the Xbox Cloud, I'd need an Xbox Live subscription? I'll also assume that backing them up to the Cloud, does not remove them from Xbox itself, this is just an additional backup?

Now, what if I paid for an Xbox Live subscription for a month, and backed up these worlds, but then later let the subscription expire? Would those backed up worlds remain there or would they be flushed?

Moving an Minecraft World from Xbox to PC
    What I'd really like to do is move the Minecraft World from the Xbox to my PC Minecraft.

This link and separate (poor quality) video says you can: http://marctv.de/blog/export-xbox-360-minecraft-maps-to-mac-or-pc/ Anyone try this? Thanks!

2. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Just a quick minecraft question. Did they ever update the launcher to be self-contained, as whatever java it wants is a part of it? Last I knew they were working on that and I haven't seen any news since. I'm about to just delete it and forget about it if they don't fix it to run on OS X without requiring an old java on my system. I think what it needs now isn't supported on the next OS X anyway. I thought I read that somewhere, java 6 I think it is?

3. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

The new standalone-java launcher is already out on Windows, and is coming to OS X later this year. And yes, Minecraft on OS X now requires Java 6.

4. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Thank you. I'll wait for later this year when they get the Mac launcher done then.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I wish the developer would add angled blocks although I've been advised this can be accomplished with mods. It would be nice to have a 30% slope and some 45s. :)

When I recently set up a Minecraft server and wrote a guide, it asked me to install Java 6. Does the game itself run on a more recent version of Java? Thought I saw some references to that online.

6. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

The game itself runs on the version installed on your system. On OS X, they force you to use Java 6 (but there is a hack that enables Java 7). On Windows, you can use Java 8.
    The new launcher downloads its own standalone version of Java runtime, so there is no need to have Java installed separately.

7. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Yeah, this is what I am waiting for as I do not have java installed on this system nor do I intend to install it for a game. I'll skip the game rather than do that. If the launcher with whatever java it needs to function is released as a stand-alone thing, fine. Maybe I'll finally get to play the copy of Minecraft that I bought probably two years ago now.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Another feature Minecraft needs to keep up with its voxel competition (Everquest Landmark) is the ability to copy and paste structures, even copy from one world to another! :):)

New Launcher = Mac, Windows or both?

9. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

:)

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Minecraft vs Lego Worlds- What do you think?

I recently got Lego Worlds after being impressed with Lego: Jurassic Park, and first impression is mixed as compared to Minecraft. Some things are stellar and others are... I'm getting used to. There is a lot more going on with characters and critters, and variety in LW with the blocks that make up the game. I don't know if you can easily generate these types blocks, but in the video it looks like you can, using a terraforming tool. I have yet to place blocks, but I'll be experimenting with it. The LW worlds also seem to be smaller than Minecraft, but maybe I've not yet found the right map.

Has anyone found a way to select a biome in LW or do they just all run together and you really can't pull up a biome like you can in Minecraft?

[​IMG]