Ming-Chi Kuo Predicts iPhone 8 Will Omit Touch ID Entirely, Come in Limited Color Options

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo today made ten predictions related to the 2017 debut of the "iPhone 8," "iPhone 7s," and "iPhone 7s Plus," which are expected to be announced in September and launch sometime afterwards (via StreetInsider).

Kuo's predictions today largely fall in line with all the rumors we've been hearing about the 2017 iPhones over the past few months, with a few new tidbits that suggest the iPhone 8 will be industry-leading in terms of its edge-to-edge design, come in limited color options, and that Apple may be removing Touch ID completely from the OLED smartphone.

[​IMG]

According to Kuo, the iPhone 8 will have "the highest screen-to-body ratio of any smartphone currently available worldwide," thanks to a drastic reduction in bezels and an edge-to-edge display that we've recently been seeing in various renders. A "notch" for the front-facing camera and sensors will be the only noticeable part of the iPhone 8's bezel design, Kuo said.

Kuo's new predictions also continue to corroborate the iPhone 8's lack of a physical Home button, but he goes on to state that Touch ID will not be incorporated into the OLED smartphone's display. The analyst didn't provide any mention of Touch ID moving elsewhere on the iPhone 8, like the back of the device or lock button as has been previously rumored and largely debunked.

Kuo instead referenced advanced features like "3D sensing for facial recognition," suggesting Apple is ready to ditch Touch ID completely for a new form of biometric security. The analyst said that Apple is still facing technical challenges with implementing Touch ID into a full-screen front-facing display.
    Here's Kuo's full list of iPhone 8 predictions:
    Another new tidbit includes Kuo's belief that the iPhone 8 will come in fewer color options than the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus, which the analyst said will help Apple maintain the OLED iPhone's "boutique image."

Otherwise, Kuo's predictions fall in line with previous reports we've seen on the 2017 iPhones, including 64GB and 256GB storage capacities, 3GB of RAM for iPhone 8 and iPhone 7s Plus and 2GB of RAM for iPhone 7s, and a Lightning port with the addition of USB-C Power Delivery for faster charging.

Kuo still believes that all iPhones will be revealed in September, but the iPhone 8 will see a wide availability well after the LCD models thanks to a later production ramp-up schedule. In May, Kuo predicted that a "worst case scenario" is also possible, where "severe supply shortages" will persist throughout 2017 for users looking to get their hands on iPhone 8, with supply tightness not improving until the first quarter of 2018.

Article Link: Ming-Chi Kuo Predicts iPhone 8 Will Omit Touch ID Entirely, Come in Limited Color Options

2. LXC101 macrumors member

I'm not ready for the disappointment of no under-screen touch ID.

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

4. codewrangler macrumors member

codewrangler

"No touch ID" is stupid...this guy is completely wrong...has he ever been right?

5. jameswilby macrumors newbie

6. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

Hopefully being Ming-Chi This is wrong

7. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Most of the times he has been. More than any other analyst, and definitely more than any other hobby speculator.

8. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
  9. 73b macrumors regular

73b

No Touch ID might actually stop me from upgrading from my 7 Plus.

10. newdeal macrumors 68020

facial recognition is no where near as good as touchID. TouchID is so good I got spoiled, after damaging my iphone 6 I used my wifes 5C for a couple of weeks before I couldn't take the lack of touchID anymore and had to buy a new phone. I got a rose gold 6S so I can give it to her and buy myself an 8...but if it doesn't have touchID I am not buying it because there are plenty of times I want to unlock my phone without typing a passcode and without looking directly at the front camera.

11. freediverx macrumors 6502a

"Ming-Chi Kuo Predicts iPhone 8 Will Omit Touch ID Entirely"

That's a click-bait headline. At no time did Ming-Chi Kuo state that. He only said TouchID would not be embedded in the screen.

12. Sunny1990, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Touch ID is my favorite feature.anyone would think they will get rid of it
    NO Touch-ID? Then No Apple-Pay
    Which means no chance Apple is going to remove touch id.

13. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

Good question. The bigger question is this, what is the guys reputation? why don't Macrumors actually mention what the persons reputation is like by comparing what they've said vs. what eventually happened? regarding the issue itself, I doubt they'll remove it given it is an iconic feature that they're rolling out to all Apple devices and is also the cornerstone of Apple Pay.

14. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Seriously, Macrumors slow news day?

I thought this was a legitimate rumors web site, not "random person with no inside knowledge just rambles guesses" web/blog posts.

15. tkukoc, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017

tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

16. underkuerbis macrumors member

17. freediverx macrumors 6502a

1) He said no TouchID embedded in the display, not that there would be no TouchID at all. Macrumors are the ones responsible for the misleading clickbait headline, so perhaps you should be questioning their credibility instead.

2) Ming-Chi Kuo has the highest accuracy amongst Apple analysts. He's not always right, but he's right more often than the rest.

18. JamesDo macrumors regular

They won't dump Touch ID, he only said it won't be integrated in the screen. This is Kuo, he's right 99% of the time.

19. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

Makes me wonder if his no finger print recognition is coming from the challenges that Qualcomm is having with their sensor. His skepticism is almost identical to what Qualcomm said about their issues.

20. AppleMooseMan macrumors regular

Touch ID has become an integral part of Apple's ecosystem. Getting rid of it would be very controversial.

Having a fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world anymore.

21. era86 macrumors newbie

I would be actually happy if this crappy Touch ID goes away. Doesn’t work 70% of the time anyway if your fingers are not perfectly dry.

22. morcutt11, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

The title of this story is misleading - KGI didn't say it touchID would be omitted completely - it was stated that it wouldn't be under the screen. There is no way that Apple is releasing a phone at this time w/o touchID.

Edit: In re-reading what KGI has posted, it does appear that they are stating that there will be no fingerprint sensor whatsoever on the phone. I still find that highly unlikely. Apple can't take a step backward simply for the sake of shrinking bezels. Apple clearly isn't going to give up Apple Pay as their revenue model is continuing to move in the transactions/recurring revenue direction. This would have to mean that, without fingerprint, Apple would be expecting to have people authenticate with a new sensor (e.g. facial recognition) or using the Apple Watch. I can't see Apple requiring people to have an Apple Watch for Apple Pay. This would mean facial recognition, assuming that Apple Pay's agreements with merchants and payment providers would allow it. Maybe they believe that the facial recognition is reliable enough that this will work (the phone is typically facing you anyway when you hold it up to the terminal for Apple Pay), but it better work really, really, really well.

23. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

I agree.

I test drove the Lumia 950XL a while back. It uses retina recognition. It works surprisingly well. I would say it was compatible with fist generation TouchID. It worked fairly well even if you were wearing sunglasses, which I thought was really neat. Facial recognition, such as the one used on Surface Pro products, works extremely well most of the time. Second generation TouchID though is so quick and accurate that it really leaves the other two methods behind.

There is also another problem with facial recognition. Just the interaction that takes place. I was in a meeting once using the Surface. I was preparing to take notes while talking to someone else, so I had to break eye contact and fiddle with the Surface for it to see me, so that it could recognize me. By contrast, when I use the MacBook, the Apple Watch unlocks it without anyone even knowing. I can continue to remain engaged with other people. TouchID works the same way. You can use your finger while conversing with someone without the distraction of having to "borrow" your face and eye sight for the technology to use it. I know it seems like a minor issue, but it really does make a difference. People notice and they feel like they are not being listened to - and that's not a good thing when you're talking to a client.

24. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

25. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Reckon TouchID might end up in the power button on the side of the phone like some recent Sony handsets - can't see them removing it entirely. Think it would be an OK compromise until 2018/19 when it can be embedded under the display.