iPad mini Mini 4 Battery Life iOS 9 Build 340 Results?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Skyhawk21, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Skyhawk21 macrumors regular

As I have posted in another thread; with mild gaming, a lot of web surfing, and some video clips here and there while re installing everything from new, The longest usage time I got was 10 hours and 25 minutes.

I have it using auto brightness which on my new mini 4, instantly changes brightness up or down at the slightest environmental ambient light change. Also using touch fingerprint to unlock. All other settings and apps replicate my mini 2 and Air 1.

Same exact usage on my mini 2 just recently got me 13 hours and 20 minutes of usage before auto shutdown. It is on IOS 8.4.1, no touch finger print, and auto brightness is gradual not instant and will change brightness only up if environmental ambient light is brighter. If it darkens in the room the mini 2 stays where the brightness is at unless you put device to sleep then wake it back up.

Anyhow, what are other mini 4 users getting in usage times and please be honest so we can compare if its hardware issue or an IOS9 issue using different builds of IOS9?

Thanks!

2. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

I haven't done a full test on mine, but on what I've done so far and observed I would agree that uptime with moderate usage would be somewhere between 10 and 11 hours.
    My iPad Air 1 gets me between 11 and 13 hours depending on usage, so a bit more.
    I'm happy enough with 10 to 11 hours as that can quite often give me two days of usage. If other people are getting better results it would be good to find out how.

3. newellj macrumors 601

This is a good question. I'd also be interested in more comparisons of the 2 vs. 4 from Mini owners.

4. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

Come on fellow apple users, I need help on this one! Almost a week in owning it and now the best battery life I got was 10 hours and 3x minutes barely using it to game at all and mostly safari with some YouTube and music here and there. DO not know if its a hardware issue, IOS 9 (this could be the problem) or the new way auto brightness works going up and down with any environmental ambient light change where you use the tablet. I also never had or used touch id and it works great perfectly on the tab but would that kill battery being enabled 24/7?

Either than those things listed above, it is setup just like my mini 2 and Air 1 identically. Last usage time for mini 2 was 13 hours and 15 minutes.

Since I have not touched my air 1 barely except for comparing it to the new mini 4 and doing tests, all loads, safari and screen and speaker tests, I am down to 53% on the Air 1 with 9.5 hours of usage and like 6 days standby. Its funny how long my MAGIC AIR 1 lasts. I thought I got good battery life gaming for 14 hours on it. Not using it barely its getting whats projected 18-20 hours of usage on time! My Air 1 is on IOS 8.2. My mini 2 is on IOS 8.4.1...

All the same apps with no background usage enabled and all of the built in mail app stuff is on fetch once an hour and Icloud is enabled on all of them for photos and all the other default stuff.

I do not get why the mini 4 is doing so poorly compared to the mini 2. I know the batter is 1500mah smaller but the newer lower power screen, speakers and A8 chip with the new features of IOS 9 are suppose to help battery not make it worse than IOS 8 versions.

I did try IOS9 GM on my mini 2 for 3 days and lost an hour or two of total usage time and everything was slow, laggy, delayed, hitching and just not working well on the mini 2. Did a DFU install of 8.4.1 on the mini 2 and its back to better than ever with great battery life.

I am about to return this mini 4 but I do like it very much. I just need more battery out of it especially since I have not gamed on it at all and battery is not doing so great..

Anyhow I will include screenshots soon!

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I would be happy to provide some battery data for you, but mine isn't being delivered until Monday. Even then, I won't be using it for gaming. Maining websurfing, email, social media, some YouTube and netflix.

None of the reviews I've read have suggested significantly worse battery like than previous generations. From what I recall, they mostly say that the Mini 4 has the same or even slightly better battery life.

6. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. Most reviews out on the net did not show any real world battery tests and or compared them to the other mini models with identical software settings and apps.

Anyhow here is the best I got so far:

image.png

7. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

Do not know how I did it... Maybe disabling weird crazy auto brightness bug and use touch ID for Apple Pay being disabled did it.. That is another hour of usage now. Also followed calibration instructions for Apple devices on web. Only thing I have not done at all is use any of the built in reset methods for anything and now got a little better battery life!

image.png image.png

Need others to share so we can compare!

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

As I said, I'd love to share my battery results, but UPS has now pushed my scheduled delivery date from Monday to Wednesday...

I don't understand how TouchID affects battery life though.

9. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

IPad Mini 4 Battery test
    1hour of Netflix. 93%. Location on and screen 48%
    7% loss per hour

10. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

I've got about 12hrs this time, maybe it was the update to 9.01, who knows, maybe it's just starting to settle in.

11. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

Screenshots please like mine with app info next to them and usage and standby to include brightness setting and if it was on auto or disabled with other general settings info. To take screen grab of battery settings menu hit power and home button at same time then attach it. I'm not believing people are getting 12 hours or more if all I can milk out of it now was 11 hours and 37 minutes with what app usage I posted in screenshots.

Mini 2 I got gets 13 hours 15 mins with a lot of gaming.

Air 1 gets 14 hours 50 minutes with a lot of gaming.

If I game a lot on this mini 4 and IOS 9 battery life drops drastically compared to A7 and older gpu hardware on older devices in IOS 8.x.

I need screenshots with same usage patterns, disabled auto brightness with it set 20-30 percent and tweaked general settings so I can compare and figure out of if I got a dud or not. My return time is diminishing. Also need to know what IOS 9 build numbers mini 4 users are on...

So far factual that IOS 8 game apps do run poorly on iOS 9 on the mini 4 which could account for high battery drain playing them...

12. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

So far after another good full charge to 100 percent from 1 percent shut off, I got two hours and 24 minutes usage with screen on whole time using safari for that long with a standby of 7 hours and 29 minutes.

Auto brightness off and 20-30 percent brightness set.

13. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

I was on par for 15 hours with over 10hrs of use and 33% left, before i charged it. Mostly safari and twitch.

14. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not trying to start a fight or claim what your saying is false, but without actual screenshots you can pretty much say the mini 4 gets 20 hours of usage which if it did it would be with screen off listening to musIt all day. Not even the air 2 with medium usage can break 12-13 hours"

So 15 hours predicted, when it's dead that will not be your end result usage time if screen was on the whole time.

I need some realistic comparisons with screen shots from battery stats please. Like all the other device battery threads..

I could say my new 6s because it came out yesterday gets 13 hours usage and anyone with any model of an iPhone 6 would know I'm not being realistic saying that...

Sorry I'm running out of time to exchange or return this to Best Buy if I did get a truly defective dud device in battery department. It's my only gripe...

15. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

lol i really don't care if you want to return yours or not its well within your right to. I'm pleased with mine and i also use auto brightness. I didn't go looking for dead pixels and such like i did the first time with the mini 2 and air (ended up buying neither and replaced wife's ipad 3 with an air 2 the next year)

16. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

Can we see a taken screenshot of usage time from battery settings screen then please? To do this in any IOS, while in that area of settings menu, hold power button and home button quickly at same time and you will hear photo taken sound effect.

Then make a post in this thread,upload the file and attach it....

Thank you.

17. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

Look,just take it back, make your own decisions, there are going to be variables in everyone's usage, go and buy a Samsung Tab S2, it's the closest thing to the Mini.
    You either like it or you don't. I reckon the battery life is pretty good, for me anyway, if not for you dump it.

18. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

Why did you reply to my thread and get defensive and tell me to buy a Samsung?

You know the 8" s2 tablet has a 4000mah battery with android lollipop on it that eats through battery just sitting in standby with screen off... It has an 8 core cpu that if you gamed on it the device would last like 3-4 hours if your lucky...

Anyhow where did you come up with these ideas? people online compare the "same" device to make sure they are working properly and posting screenshots from the actual device in question is helpful to go along with a statement " My mini 4 is getting 15 hours usage" made by another user.

I'm asking for proof because I doubt anyone's mini 4 can beat my minis 2 usage time of 13 hours with lots of gaming and other app usage.. If you do not want to contribute to a thread to help the OP, then just don't reply...

People would like to know if they got a lemon or not and your response is not helping

19. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

Well to bump and update my own thread, it appears I am the only one that cares about battery life on the mini 4 and showing real world results with usage.

So here goes. 12 hours and 25 minutes usage with the screen on whole time during that usage between 20-30 percent brightness with auto disabled. Got a standby time of 47 hours and 28 minutes.

This is pretty reasonable finally compared to usage of 13 hours and 15 minutes on mini 2. Although on mini 2 with bigger battery and slower cpu/gpu gaming does not drain battery as fast as mini 4 with IOS9 compared to older IOS 8.4.1 on mini 2.

Gaming for an hour or two and then safari for 8 hours or more then misc apps here and there to fill in gaps for usage time. YouTube, music,speed tests, etc. the shown minutes and hours per app are off because that was for last 24 hours but did not show for last two days, Only the last 7 days option which had way too much time per app...

image.jpg

20. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

The reason I had a bit of a dig at you is because you're mainly just talking to yourself, I'd say most people are reasonably happy with their battery life, it could be better but it is what is.
    The bit about the Tab S2 was because I bought one and returned it the next day, one of the reasons was battery life.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

If UPS can be trusted I should have my Mini 4 today. It'll probably be at least a few days before I know what a typical battery cycle for my usage looks like though. I probably won't get a chance to really put it through its paces until the weekend. I'll probably spend the first evening setting it up just right, and throughout the week it will probably be just a bit of web browsing and social media and a lot of standby time while I'm busy with work. I'm not a mobile gamer and I typically don't watch that much media on my tablet, but I'll be satisfied if I get at least 10 hours, as that's what Apple claims for web browsing. I once borrowed an iPad Air for a weekend and got nearly 20 hours of light usage out of it, and it still had a fair bit of charge left!

Coming from a Nexus 7 which now only gets me about 8 hours of screen on time, I think that my expectations for the Mini 4 are pretty reasonable.

22. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses and replies.

Yes coming from a nexus 7, I can guarantee you will be happy with the mini 4 and even IOS9 in its current state. Yes you will get 10 hours battery life of usage with light app load and such even with brightness I would say around 50 percent.

I keep brightness low to get most battery life out of device and so far its been home in darker environment so brightness at good setting has been at the notch of 20-30 percent with auto disabled. Reason of disabling it is because it does some new funky stuff under IOS9 and the sensor I cannot even see or find on the mini 4 (light sensor) its hidden well. On older models you could see it next to front cam.

Take your time with it and have fun, I am an Android guy too and the mini 4 will definitely be an upgrade compared to the Nexus 7.

I personally got sick and tired of newer Android versions with glitches and bugs that eat at battery life even in standby mode with screen off, let alone when you actually use the device and run applications. That total connection time bug with Lollipop and phones especially, is killing me because I have a Note 3 and an S5. My Note 3 is on lollipop and my S5 is on older version of kitkat thank goodness and is rooted and rootable on the version of Android it has.

I am never upgrading that thing and keeping kitkat and root on it as long as I use it and will also sell it to someone who understands the android eco system. That phone is in a magic state being rooted and having kitkat. It does not have the total connection time bug at all and battery lasts forever on that thing.

Funny though I am using my Note 3 that does not last but 3.5 hours of SOT doing nothing with it and just using it for calls or texts.

Got Apple tablets to upgrade from an Nook HD+ using CM12 on it and it was still unusable and slow. Tried other brand new android tablets and none of them could get anything called battery life. My Nook HD+ even after 2 years, gets 6-8 hours gaming or browsing web but was not keeping up in performance. (it had a 6000mah battery and ran android 4.04 ICS)

Bought ipad mini 2 @ good price and was astonished how well the battery lasted in standby, even more astonished when I played games that were more optimized and polished for Apple and IOS and they did not eat away at battery.

Then I got all my favorite networking tools (IT network guy as hobby and in experience through education and military) and they were more polished and easier to use, kept data and information readily available and all of this was a smooth experience using IOS 8 on older hardware in Mini 2.

Mini 2 has 6471mah battery. (11-13 hours of my usage)

Then I wanted more battery life, bought an Air 1 (longer battery life) with bigger screen with better color gamut and little faster cpu. This has a battery of 8827mah battery biggest I heard of in any tablet know matter what brand or eco system running on it.

So I got one, had issues with it and returned it and gave up at full price not too long ago.

Found another one @ 300 dollars new at retail before all these darn sales for the Air 2. (Air 2 speaker vibration problem and too many screen defect issues, tried two of them and gave up because my Air 1 out does them in speaker quality and battery life department)

Got it and it was good in all categories that I test any device before deciding to keep or reject/return.

This Air 1 has magic battery while using IOS 8.2. 14-15 hours after every full charge gaming medium to heavy on it then rest of time web browsing, network tools, YouTube music and so forth.

Mini 2 had best sounding speakers though as I said in other posts on this forum site. Mini 4 sound good but not as perfect as Mini 2.

Air 1 speakers good and on par with those in the mini 4, but not as perfect as mini 2.

Anyhow my whole idea and goal was to upgrade to whatever device and OS if it had (better specs than Nook HD+):

- High resolution like Nook HD+ at 1920x1080/1200 or higher
    - 8 to 10 inch screen if lighter and easy to hold
    - good sounding speakers because even though I got good headphones when I am messing around on devices to lazy to get them out and use them
    - BATTERY life that rivaled my two year old Nook HD+ or at least lasted as long
    - storage space not a biggie when I have my own NAS with cloud and file over lan integration and built in OS cloud integration
    - Needed performance and to be smoother/faster and better hardware as upgrade with more ram or at least same amount

Tried all tablets and gave up saying my whole life I would never buy an Apple; I did and it performed so well I did not expect it at all and was literally SHOCKED!! First experience was with mini 2 and IOS 8.1.2

It met all my criteria but I wanted bigger and better, Air 1 not much of an upgrade but I got lucky on second one I tried and come on, 15 hours of life for heavy usage with hardware inside? And if you do not ever barely use it and let it sit in standby, it does not lose battery at all, I tried! With light usage all last week while playing with mini 4 trying to milk as much battery as I can to compare to my other toys, My Air 1 after week and half of being on and being used lightly, 20 hours usage screen on time. CANNOT BEAT IT!

Anyways I know I type to much info, but I think everyone gets it.

Mini 4 now is doing good, it does have somewhat of a screen issue. I am happy with battery now, still not with the issues in IOS9 (its new and needs to mature). I got to go double and triple and OCD check over and over to convince myself I am ok with screen although it has a light dark shadow on right side by home button area of screen when in landscape. NOT SUPER noticeable but makes the screen uneven in solid colors across it. Its not discolored only dirty shadow look.

Could be screen, lamination, layers and no air gap so an issue from factory since they were rushed out like new iPhones!

Screen is still amazing and is better than the mini 2, Air 1 and even the Air 2. Way better calibrated, gets bright, and when its bright; colors are dead on and everything pops awesomely. That's why battery drains with screen turned up, it takes some power to make it work and look as good like a calibrated screen.

WISH IT DID NOT HAVE THE DAM dirty shadow area, but sooner or later due to air/heat/cold all panels even sealed I believe will get this dirty shadow looking places randomly on panel.

On my perfectly NEW calibrated 22" monitor that out of box barely has this dirty shadow areas and look, is now getting them or being more noticeable over time due to the panel and physics and nature taking a toll on technology (lifespan).

Thanks again for help, responses and replies. I am an IT NUT as you can see and OCD about my stuff, its gotta pass my standards then I keep it or back it goes!

23. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

One more thing, Touch ID is cool/performs better on Apple compared to Android and Samsung devices.

Using IOS9 build 340 and mini 4 hardware, as soon as I click home button once and screen lights up, after pressing and letting go of home button even though finger is still touching it, BAM instant unlock with 60fps smooth animation like butter from reading the finger print from the correct finger scanned into the OS.

Touch ID works faster and better on IOS9 and of course I assume its even a newer Touch ID sensor in Mini 4 compared to older devices with Touch ID. Its instant like on the newer iPhones. It has you scan your unlock finger many different ways many different times so it does not matter what angle or way you use that finger to unlock it, it picks it up instantaneously every time in every way possible. (well for me at least and I got oily hands/fingers)

I am impressed by that and enjoy using it over typing in a 4 or more digit pin to unlock. Click home button or hit power button, keep finger on home button instant fingerprint read if correct finger and 60fps animation from lock screen to home-screen with folders and apps every time NO LAG! This happens in milliseconds. Also can be used with Apple pay so I am assuming Mini 4 has NFC of sorts to be scanned at register? or it only does it online, not to sure yet....

24. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

Man, you really can talk, even to yourself, you really are fussy as well. I'm reasonably particular about the tech I buy but nothing like you.
    Anyway I agree Apple has the best tablets, although Windows is catching up. I like Android on phones, but not on tablets, I even bought an all in one Android computer, sold it after 2 months.

25. Skyhawk21 thread starter macrumors regular

I am a younger disabled combat Veteran with PTSD and my own form of OCD in tech and well everything that bugs me. I do apologize for the fussiness. I like info, facts and straight to the point with something to show for it.