Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Screen is still amazing and is better than the mini 2, Air 1 and even the Air 2. Way better calibrated, gets bright, and when its bright; colors are dead on and everything pops awesomely.

If only to prove someone's reading your posts ;) I'll say that the Mini 4 is essentially identical to the Air 1 and Air 2 displays in every respect other than surface reflections. If your Air 1 and Air 2 were way better, you really lost the display lottery. :(

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I am a younger disabled combat Veteran with PTSD and my own form of OCD in tech and well everything that bugs me. I do apologize for the fussiness. I like info, facts and straight to the point with something to show for it.
You've got nothing to apologise for, I was just saying you're fussier than I am, like I said I'm pretty particular, I've returned a lot of tech products that I'm not happy with.
It's good that you're into tech it can keep you focussed and keep your mind off stuff associated with PTSD, it's a great hobby, expensive but a great hobby.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
If only to prove someone's reading your posts ;) I'll say that the Mini 4 is essentially identical to the Air 1 and Air 2 displays in every respect other than surface reflections. If your Air 1 and Air 2 were way better, you really lost the display lottery. :(
I agree I don't know about the Air 2 but the Mini 4 has a much much sharper screen and a bit better color than the Air 1, that's on a side by side comparison of hundreds of Orchid photos of all colours.

Oh, and I'm getting around 12hrs again, but that's mostly Safari.

Skyhawk21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015

Maybe you lost me in what I was trying to convey; my mini 4 screen is the best I've seen compared to an Air 1 and mini 2 I own (of course we know way different than mini 2 screen), and way better quality overall compared to two air 2's I bought then returned with screen issues.

I have a perfectly calibrated 22" 1080p PC monitor at about 6600 - 6700k color temp (do not like to warm or yellow) and has perfect 100 percent srgb color accuracy and can display black and white or grey contrast with no dithering to 100 percent. It's an EIPS 2015 made panel. It's what I use to match or calibrate any other device/screen/tv to.

In that regard, the new mini 4 with its 7.9" mid 2015 made panel matches my awesome PC panel really well compared to the over saturated Air 1 and Air 2 screen. Although Air 2 screen is better than Air 1 screen.

Only diff on mini 4 panel and my PC monitor is color temperature which is still cooler (blueish white) on mini 4 which I am guessing is around 6800-6950k color temp. And it displays 98 percent srgb color values and about 90-95 percent of black and white and gray contrast with no dithering.

So if you want a portable wireless remote monitor/viewfinder with wifi to a 4K camera, the mini 4 would be a good remote display for out in the field photography that would be better than led or viewfinder on wireless expensive camera.

If you fly DJI quads, the mini 4 can be mounted and used for wireless video feed on 5ghz wifi frequency for FOV which will be more calibrated to what you see with the naked eye.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Well, here are the results of my first full charge/discharge. I think I can squeeze 12 hours based on my typical usage. No complaints since Apple says about 10 hours for web browsing.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 115

Skyhawk21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
That's actually quite good, did you have auto brightness on? If you did does yours auto dim up or down like all the time with light change in room?

Did you run any games at all or just use it lightly off and on?

Thanks for posting.

Well, here are the results of my first full charge/discharge. I think I can squeeze 12 hours based on my typical usage. No complaints since Apple says about 10 hours for web browsing.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
That's actually quite good, did you have auto brightness on? If you did does yours auto dim up or down like all the time with light change in room?

Did you run any games at all or just use it lightly off and on?

Thanks for posting.

Yes, auto brightness on. I do find that it responds quite quickly to changes in ambient light, but not manically so. As long as the ambient light is consistent, so it the screen brightness.

I don't play any mobile games, so the most taxing thing I used it for was some video streaming via youtube and netflix. Most of my usage was web browsing, email, and facebook.

Skyhawk21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
Thanks for the answers and information, hope your enjoying it and got a keeper! ;)

Skyhawk21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
is that with any gaming or heavy use of apps that rely heavily on the cpu/gpu?

Or just light internet type stuff like surfing and social media?

screen brightness on auto? or disabled?

Need some base-lines!

Also for me I am on Build 340 of IOS9GM wont change it, do not want it to make things worse! I did set it up as new device and manually cloned it to how my other tablets are set up.

Similarly I am able to get around 12 hours on the Mini 4 with 5% left. Good enough for me.

vlinkz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Pacific Northwest
is that with any gaming or heavy use of apps that rely heavily on the cpu/gpu?

Or just light internet type stuff like surfing and social media?

screen brightness on auto? or disabled?

Need some base-lines!

Also for me I am on Build 340 of IOS9GM wont change it, do not want it to make things worse! I did set it up as new device and manually cloned it to how my other tablets are set up.

I'm on 9.0.1 with auto brightness on. When I was using it on 9.0, with games like Asphalt 8 for a couple of hours, it would get around 10 or so.

Not sure if there's much difference between the two in my experience but then again I wasn't testing 9.0.

Light usage is what I am currently looking at, with about 15 minutes of iMovie making a video from some footage I took.

On 7 hours 16 mins currently with 56% remaining. Safari taking up 50% of that usage, Apple Music streaming in the background for the last 4 hours. Standby for 16 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.