Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
What cases / covers are everyone using or planning to get? The new iPad mini 4 is taller and apparently the magnetic sleep is placed differently, so I'm wondering what options (Apple and third party) are available.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Have Apple smart cover, and silicone case. Don't like the silicone, but like the smart cover.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I was actually looking for something like the silicone case, but transparent and not so thick. Something to prevent the back from scratching too easily. Unfortunately most of the clear ones out there now fit the mini 1/2/3, definitely not the taller 4.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Yeah I would get clear or black, which I haven't found yet. But I miss the smart case, hopefully options appear soon.

Tapper123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
I ordered a Mini 4 smart case on Amazon by Moko for $6. User reviews are very good for previous Mini versions.

When more cases become available maybe I'll get something nicer, assuming I'm not happy with it.

Any screen protectors out yet? I saw one but required wet application, and I never use that kind.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I ordered a Mini 4 smart case on Amazon by Moko for $6. User reviews are very good for previous Mini versions.

The Moko case looks pretty decent and very affordable. They don't seem to have a transparent back version though.

I'm actually a fan of Moshi's Versacover due to the fact that it allows you to stand it in a portrait orientation - great for resting on a table and reading. The origami shape means that it's not very common though.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
About new cases, the solution of two separate partes is a clever option, because you can pull off the cover when you want, and use the ipad that weight less in that way(and ipad is still protected by back case!). So the combination of less heavy ipad mini 4, and the option to pull off the cover really improve the feeling on your hands(ipad mini 2 weights 30 gr more and leather smart case is much bulkier than silicone case). Of course, the quality of case and cover is top notch BUT...the price is very very high. Please apple...104€ for a complete silicon case??LOL, if the apple products are expensive(a very well spent money in my opinion), their accesories are LUXURY product. Ok, it's Apple...anyway I love the combination of midnight blue smart cover+ midnight blue case.

Pd. Very important for me! The leather cases of old models always had the problem that the cover only was well closed in the magnetized zone. In other zones, the cover was separated from the screen. The new cover+case combination closes perfectly, and I feel the ipad much more protected with it.:)

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
I've ordered this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014KAJQVY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00. It's one piece with the sleep/wake smart cover and a transparent back. It won't be here until Tuesday, but the reviews look good.

I actually prefer the two separate pieces for the same reason that joscejrod mentioned. When I need a stand or want the front glass protected, the cover is nice to have. But when I don't need a stand, it's great to be able to remove the extra weight quickly and easily. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm hoping to just use this ESR case while I wait for more options to be available. (And I just can't swallow the price tag on the Apple version when I know in a month I'll be able to get the same thing for ~fifteen bucks!)

Last edited:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I'm actually a fan of Moshi's Versacover due to the fact that it allows you to stand it in a portrait orientation - great for resting on a table and reading. The origami shape means that it's not very common though.

I agree, I have the Moshi Versa cover in denim blue and I love it, the color and it supports portrait and landscape in a variety of positions and it's really stable too. I don't see it available yet for the Mini 4.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I've ordered a sleeve from Joli Originals and I've got the silicone back from Apple, the silicone back is useful in some cases, but I don't really like it for everyday use. The iPad mini is best without a case around it when you're using it.

Tapper123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
I've ordered this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014KAJQVY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00. It's one piece with the sleep/wake smart cover and a transparent back. It won't be here until Tuesday, but the reviews look good.

I actually prefer the two separate pieces for the same reason that joscejrod mentioned. When I need a stand or want the front glass protected, the cover is nice to have. But when I don't need a stand, it's great to be able to remove the extra weight quickly and easily. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm hoping to just use this ESR case while I wait for more options to be available. (And I just can't swallow the price tag on the Apple version when I know in a month I'll be able to get the same thing for ~fifteen bucks!)

They look very nice. Don't see a color I would want though. Just plain black, for example.

Bri in Mtl

macrumors member
May 29, 2013
I have a carbon skin on my MacBook Pro and my previously owned iPad mini 2..
Waiting for another carbon skin for the new 4.
I hate the increased bulk that cases or covers give.
Use a sleeves for travelling.
My old mini 2 sleeve from Incase fits the 4 easily.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have the Silicone cover/case combo for my new mini. Overpriced for sure but it fits perfectly and has the option to remove the cover during use. What I really like is that the edges around the iPad are velvety smooth making the device very comfortable to hold.

Last edited:

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

I just ordered one of these. I have the Moko case and hate the feel of the rubbery surface, although the fit is fine. I hope this cases has more of a faux leather feel.
Dear Apple, Please make a leather case for me.
I have a Skinomi back skin on order. I thought I got it in on Friday, but when I opened it up, it said it was for the ipad 4, not the mini 4. Sigh. They are sending the right size, hopefully it will get here soon.

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I'm waiting on Zagg to release an invisible shield for the Mini 4 - I bought the Apple smart cover and normally use this with the Zagg back to prevent scratches.

Olaudai

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
One other thing I've noticed on the new silicone case is that there seems to be an extra magnet in the middle of the case that locks onto the middle slat of the smart cover. Once folded over, the cover is held by magnets in two locations now keeping it solidly in place (unlike the covers for my iPad Air 2 or previous iPad mini which used to flop down if not held in place with your fingers).

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
I agree, I have the Moshi Versa cover in denim blue and I love it, the color and it supports portrait and landscape in a variety of positions and it's really stable too. I don't see it available yet for the Mini 4.

Versa Cover for Mini 4 should be out in November.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.