Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I have both thumbs and both index fingers registered for Touch ID.

You're right and the Amazon reviewer was wrong. The cut out around the home button is large enough for a thumb print. Maybe I'll add a better review on Amazon.

Reactions: ron7624

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I'm still waiting to order...

Has anybody tried Speck Durafolio?

I have the durafolio on my iPad Air. Very protective, not too bulky, and it's held up well. I was about to order one for my new mini 4 (after all purple is the first color available) but it wouldn't arrive in time for my trip.

Reactions: asleep

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
Has anyone found a clear plastic shell for the back of the iPad Mini 4 that is compatible with the smart cover yet?

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I succumbed and purchased the Apple smart case and cover in lavender. It's a very elegant shade and I like the feel of the material. It does feel like suede, although I understand that some people find it irritating. If you're worried about that of course it's returnable.

I've never spent this kind of money on an iPad accessory before, and I don't usually buy expensive clothing. It is beautifully made, and since I expect this to travel with me more than a full sized iPad I can appreciate the lack of bulk and weight compared to the durafolio on my iPad Air. The one problem I had with the durafolio, and it may have been solved on later manufacturing runs, is that the cover would slip around so the screen was protected but the battery would run down. I don't expect to have that problem with this case.

Reactions: Celebion and asleep

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
I succumbed and purchased the Apple smart case and cover in lavender. It's a very elegant shade and I like the feel of the material. It does feel like suede, although I understand that some people find it irritating. If you're worried about that of course it's returnable.

I've never spent this kind of money on an iPad accessory before, and I don't usually buy expensive clothing. It is beautifully made, and since I expect this to travel with me more than a full sized iPad I can appreciate the lack of bulk and weight compared to the durafolio on my iPad Air. The one problem I had with the durafolio, and it may have been solved on later manufacturing runs, is that the cover would slip around so the screen was protected but the battery would run down. I don't expect to have that problem with this case.
I bought the red smart cover and love it. I just wish I could find a clear case to cover the back that is compatible with the smart cover. I had one for my last iPad and it was a great combo.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I bought the red smart cover and love it. I just wish I could find a clear case to cover the back that is compatible with the smart cover. I had one for my last iPad and it was a great combo.

I was just thinking that my gold case is.now invisible. Even the camera opening is too small to show off the color.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I love the TechArmor skin on my mini. it's tacky enough to so it won't slip out of your hand. it adds no bulk (as slim as the apple case is, it still added just enough that it made the mini uncomfortable for me to hold. and of course, it works perfectly with the smart cover.

edited to correct company! NOT spigen! TechArmor!

Last edited:

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I love the spigen skin on my mini. it's tacky enough to so it won't slip out of your hand. it adds no bulk (as slim as the apple case is, it still added just enough that it made the mini uncomfortable for me to hold. and of course, it works perfectly with the smart cover.

Where did you get it? Can you pls send link or pics?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Anyone else find it difficult to press the buttons with the silicone case on? I really have to press hard.

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I returned all of my cases and got the Apple smart cover midnight blue. I mostly use the mini at home so I think it's a better solution just for the purpose of holding it comfortably and protecting the screen.

Reactions: caligurl

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Let us know your thoughts...

I got one and ended up returning. It was not that bad, however not really good either. I felt that at certain areas the cut outs were a little sharp and hurt my hand/fingers when holding.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I got one and ended up returning. It was not that bad, however not really good either. I felt that at certain areas the cut outs were a little sharp and hurt my hand/fingers when holding.
Darn, already shipped.

How long can you keep an Apple case before returning it for refund or credit?

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
:cool::cool:

EDIT: Just noticed the hole for the mic by the volume buttons is misaligned, so I'd say absolutely NOT for the ROARK branded one.

This SmartCase wannabe arrived today. It's not bad, not great.
    • Smart Cover works to turn screen off/on.
    • There's 3-sided overhang that may bother some.
    • The cover's magnets are not strong enough to hold the cover against the back.
    • Magnets hold it pretty good onto the screen.
    • Felt like surface inside cover seems soft enough to be protective of the screen.
    • The rubberized surface on this one has some very slight imperfections on the back that my fingertips rest on. Feels like tiny grain sand embedded. Cannot see it, but can feel it. No biggie.
    • Cover holds the triangle shape okay with magnet power, but it can be pressed out in typing mode.
I bought this as temporary to Devicewear releasing a new Ridge. It serves its purpose, but I'd suggest buying the cheapest no-name one on Amazon... I bet they're all sourced from same place.

Ymmv. :cool:

Last edited:

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I got the replacement JETech Gold Serial cases yesterday and the fit is perfect. Magnets also hold the front cover closed front or back for those that require this. It's not the last word in protection since it is a thin case but I hate to add bulk to my iPads and this is a nice compromise and great value for money.

Reactions: asleep

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I got the replacement JETech Gold Serial cases yesterday and the fit is perfect. Magnets also hold the front cover closed front or back for those that require this...

I think this is the way to go for the cheapo Amazon SmartCase wannabes.

emilg

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Sweden
Just recieved this case from Apple, and I took a few pictures of it if someone wants to see how it fits.
The magnets in the smartcover seems to be much stronger than other smartcovers I have tried before from Apple.
(Its supposed to be the midnight blue, but the lightning differs.)
IMG_0011.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0016.jpg IMG_0017.jpg IMG_0018.jpg

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013X8G3PQ/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

I just ordered one of these.

Much cheaper than Apples official front and back versions!!!

Ok so i've been using this case for last week or so and i would say this is way better than my official smart case for the iPad 3.

It uses magnets for sleep/wake, and of course with the finger print scanner on the mini 4, you only have to lay your finger on the sensor to get to the home screen once you open the case.

It's light enough, but also sturdy, and fits snuggly. Once the lid is opened there is no lip around the iPad, i.e. the case is flush with the top edge.

When i initially ordered this case, i had to wait weeks for it to arrive. I think this is because they were making all the slight adjustments needed in the design from the mini 3 case design, to accommodate the mini 4.

Also when the lid is closed, the lid doesn't overlap the rest of the case slightly like my official iPad 3 smart case did (which cost £50 i think?). I believe this case is actually better made, although i have not tried out the official mini 4 silicone case and smart cover (which costs £78).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.