mini display port > DVI >VGA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4fingered, Oct 27, 2008.

1. 4fingered macrumors member

I can confirm that the new mini display port to DVI cord is not compatible witht he old mac DVI to VGA cord. Guess I'm gonna have to drop another $30 on a cord, good going apple.

2. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Does anyone know of any third-party cables that will take me from minidisplay to s-video?

3. kirbs macrumors member

that doen't make sense. do you have a mini-dvi to vga cable?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Its because the MDP--->DVI adapter only carries DVI-D. To go form DVI-->VGA, it must be a DVI-I cable to carry the analog signal.

5. stevemiller macrumors 65816

ugh... thats really annoying! having to spring for the dvi adapter in the first place is ridiculous, being that the mini-display port is compatible with nothing on the market (except apple's conveniently newly released monitor).

when i bought my g5, dvi already had a reasonable foothold in the market, and yet apple was still nice enough to provide a dvi-vga adapter in the box. it just feels greedy that they're making me shell out extra to connect my $3k new laptop to the $1k display i already bought from them.

add this to the fact that apple doesn't even sell the firewire 400-800 adapter that is necessary for me to use my video camera and external drive (the usb2 connection on the drive is not an option for working with video).

i'm sure i'll love my macbook pro, but c'mon apple, seriously.

6. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

This is unbelievable!! Really?? I was already disappointed with Apple for trying to nickel-and-dime us with the adapter; but to find out that it won't work with the previous adapters...so we now have to buy multiple adapters...ARGHHH!!!

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Really!? Thats a bummer.

8. rolex54 macrumors 6502

get a dvi-d to dvi-i adapter, prolly run about $15 but still half the price of a new minidisplayport to vga adapter

9. philamac macrumors regular

It shouldn't be called nickel & dime-ing... it's on a whole other level, Jacksons, Hamiltons, and even a Benjamin to be precise.

$60 just to be compatible with the rest of the world... and now they're saying the LED Cinema Display might not be compatible with anything but Apple's MDP products! *eye twitch*

10. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

If someone tries rolex54's advice, please post a pic. I'd like to see what MiniDisplay Port to DVI adapter from a new MB connected to a DVI-d to DVI-i adapter connected to an old MB DVI to VGA adapter connected to a VGA cable actually looks like ;-)

Btw in which museum does one still find monitors with VGA / no DVI?

So the DVI or VGA adapter can make a $2849 MBP cost $2878. Wow, that's a real bummer man...pfft!

11. coolb0yalex macrumors member

12. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Lots of data projectors have VGA only. In my line of work, I often have to hook up to whatever projector is available in a lecture hall, and they never have DVI.

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Works fine for me

::pLEASE NOTE:::
    This post is an error. I was not aware that my connection was "swapped out" with a MDP > VGA adapter by a friend helping me setup at a recent show. Please see This Post, for further clarification of my error.

I actually called into apple before buying the new MiniDisplayPort DVI adapter ,and they confirmed that the model of DVI to VGA (came with my Powermac G5) would work with the new MacBook Pro DVI adapter. They both (I called twice) said that the mini Displayport to DVI adapter created a full (regular) DVI port, and that attached (older) adapters should work fine as long as they would physically fit (talking plastic molding and such)

And Phrasikleia as you requested in an other thread, I did reply that Apple said it would work.

The MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter connected to my DVI to VGA cable (again came with my G5) works perfectly. I am not sure what issue the OP is having since their post was vague. (what adapter was used, did it physically not fit, or just not power the display). I also have a 3rd party adapter (came with an old PC NvIdia GeForce2 card) that takes output from the DVI adapter, and works fine for my VGA projector.

Not saying the OP is wrong, but both my Apple branded, and 3rd party adapters work just fine.

[​IMG]

14. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

This is simply not possible. The MDP->DVI adapter outputs DVI-D. The analog signals necessary to drive a VGA monitor are simply not there; three of the four pins around the flat pin are the RGB signals. There is simply no way you got it to fit unless you have a prototype adapter instead of the standard one.

Are you sure you don't have a Mini-DVI->DVI adapter? That does output DVI-I. This seems more likely as you can't buy the Mini-DisplayPort adapters separately from the MacBook or MacBook Pro, and it sounds like you got it separately.

15. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I hear what you are saying, and I understand DVI fairly well.

Mine is a Mini DisplayPort > DVI adapter that I purchased at the Applestore. I will check again, however I used it to run my Dell VGA projector for a presentation I did (Motocross photography slide show) two weeks ago this Thursday. What you are saying makes sense, however My projector either does some strange VooDoo, or there are actually two kinds of adapter, or I truly do have some kind of prototype!

The fact remains, I called twice, two separate support people told me it would work, and the one I purchased in store, actually did. :confused:

I will have to dig it out when I get home, and take a close look at it.

[​IMG]

16. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

another damn port.
    they also dropped the ball on the upcoming led display. only compatible with "new" mb/mbp's. i'll buy a Dell thank you very much! these sort of tactics (to get people to buy new products) usually have the opposite affect on me. please apple...don't force me to go back to a pc.

17. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Thanks for coming back with that answer, but I never saw it since that was such a huge thread. I actually considered searching to see if you'd ever reported back, but it seemed too daunting a task. :eek:

18. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

It must be a prototype if it's Mini DisplayPort and not Mini DVI; Apple doesn't sell the MDP->DVI adapter separately.

Post a photo of both ends of the adapter if you would.

EDIT: wait a sec, do you have the MDP->Dual Link DVI? 'Cause I think that one actually does have DVI-I out.

19. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Haha, no worries. Could be a false positive though, as I need to check when I get home.

No I have the $30 one (actually Apple let me buy it for $0.30 because I complained).

I will take a close look when I get home, and try it out on an old VGA monitor hooked up to my Quadra (oddly with a unique adapter requirement of it's own).

If I am wrong I won't hesitate to admit it! I do not want to confuse anyone on this subject, because it is one I take seriously too. (Having to buy adapters is annoying to say the least!)

[​IMG]

20. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

what most of you are saying is correct. the new MDP> DVI does not carry analog so hence it does not work with any of my DVI>VGA adapters. the new adapter doesn't have the space in the plastic for the 4 analog pins. I have the old DVI>VGA adapter that came with my G5 plus an ATI one that came with one of my PC's back in the day. both don't work.

should I try taking the cord to apple store to see if they will exchange it for a MDP to VGA? Or should I try calling apple to see if they will send me a new MDP to VGA cord for my troubles?

21. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I'm curious how you went about complaining. In an Apple Store in person?

22. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Totally forgot about this thread!!!

Yes you should, and GeeYouEye was also correct. I honestly forgot some key points during the night (to my defense there was Lots going on that night). I recall testing both my G5 and my Nvidia adapter, and remembering that it worked but it couldn't have!

I sent my buddy an SMS inquiring how we got it working, and I guess he used his MiniDisplay Port > VGA adapter, and connected it to the dongle that goes into the Dell projector. I guess I missed this step after I got the laptop up and running, and started setting up the screen. I can only guess that I spotted the two dongles and figured they were both mine, I didn't know he changed the configuration I used, to get it working :eek: .

I will edit my first post to hopefully reduce confusion on the subject!

In person, with the MacBook Pro in my hand, and I fully (and politely) expressed my frustration with Apple for excluding it. I expressed that a Video Adapter had always come with my systems (with the exception of my Classic systems DB15 > VGA, and refurbished iBook G4), and asked him how they considered this Professional grade when they excluded something that came with a previous Powerbook, and my Powermac G5.

He apologized and promptly reduced the price. I would post up the PDF of my receipt if I could edit out some of my personal information on this system (work laptop (not a Mac)).

[​IMG]

23. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

24. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yes you should.

Sorry I wanted to clarify that I was wrong in my previous post. I ended up blending my reply to you with a reply to others.

Complain, even Apple told me that this port would work with a VGA adapter. I am bringing mine back and either swapping it for a VGA, or to get an other $0.30 adapter!

[​IMG]

25. hbeaton19 macrumors newbie

I have just bought a mini dvi to video adapter for my mac and plugged it into my telly via the yellow cable but the screen is just coming up with black fuzzy lines, am I doing something wrong?