Mini Display Port to HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sirivers, Dec 11, 2008.

1. sirivers macrumors member

hey, so since im getting this new MBP, i wanted to ask... is there such as thing as mini display port to HDMI so i can output to my HDTV for photo/video editing?

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

No, you will have to get the MDP->DVI then you can get a DVI->HDMI cable.

3. sirivers thread starter macrumors member

that sounds ridiculously complicated.....

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

It's not. It would just like using the DVI->VGA adapter and then going VGA to a projector or monitor. On the older MBP

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

...and expensive

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

MDP->DVI Adapter = $29.99 Should be Female end on the DVI just like the old MBP's (you can go into BestBuy and look at it to make sure)
    DVI-D->HDMI 6' = $4.50 This will be Male DVI-D to HDMI cable.
    Both on Amazon.com

7. fathom macrumors newbie

This should work (but I'd want to hear from someone that's actually done so). Just be aware, though, that there will be no audio coming through the HDMI. You'll need to get a separate adapter for outputing the audio for your display.

8. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Currently doing so on my aluminum Macbook, so I don't see why there'd by a difference.

$30 Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter and a $8 or so 25 foot DVI to HDMI cable from monoprice.com did it for me.

9. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Just out of curiosity, why would you assume that I have never done it?

10. RelievedSimplet macrumors member

Hey,
    Just wanted to let you know that I contacted the MonoPrice.com sales people (a couple days after I bought my MBP on release date). They are saying that they will, indeed, be carrying a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable. The only downside, is that they apologized that it wouldn't be available until Late January 2009. I promptly emailed them back saying not to apologize, at least they're intelligent enough to release a cable Apple STILL hasn't released. Anyways, just wanted to let you know that it IS coming, but isn't here yet and will be a 3rd party cable, through the best cable manufacturer around. Hopefully, they stick to the Late Jan 2009 time frame they gave me.
    -RS

Edit: Also, I am currently using the MDP->DVI adapter and a MonoPrice DVI->HDMI cable. I just think it's a load of crap that for the $30 I spent on the adapter, it's only 4" long. Yet the 6 foot DVI->HDMI cable I bought from MonoPrice was only $4. As for your audio concern, as far as I know, the current MBP's do not support audio over MDP anyways, so the MDP->DVI->HDMI isn't a big concern really, just an annoyance. Once the MonoPrice MDP->HDMI cables come out I'll be replacing the two adapter solution for sure, and selling the dang Apple adapter.

11. oGu macrumors member

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

It says here that is due to be released on march 27. It also says that it supports sound. I am curious if the macbook can output sound through it's MDP. From looking at the way the 24 LED ACD connets to a MB unibody I would say that the USB for the iSight camera and through MDP it gets video and sound output but also mic input.....but this is just me hopping.

12. eldy macrumors 6502

That's how I have my MPB hooked up to my TV. Works great!

If you use closed clamshell mode with an external keyboard and mouse, you won't even see the adapter.

13. oGu macrumors member

So you already managed to get the adapter? Does it provide sound to your TV?

14. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

I would also like to know this. If so where did you buy it from?

15. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Yep :) i do that and it works just fine, not complicated at all so dont worry :)

16. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

a couple of weeks ago it said to be released on March 15... a coupe of weeks before that it said to be released on March 1... and so on and so on. So i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you, they keep delaying it every few weeks.

17. oGu macrumors member

Is there any chance that apple will release such a cable so we can finally have sound over our mdp port? I just think is silly to have the function but not be able to use due to somme adapter.

18. isaki87 macrumors regular

The cables allow sound, Apple just has to unlock the port so it can allow sound.

19. whitefang macrumors 6502

Nope, displayport does not support sound.

20. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

DisplayPort DOES support sound. The only question is if Apple's implementation of miniDisplayPort supports sound.

21. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

DisplayPort does support audio.

22. bossxii macrumors 68000

Mini Display port supports sound? :eek: Anyone have a link with proof vs just rumors? or maybe not that it WILL support it or is capable, but is there anything stating Apple has "activated" it? I've looked and don't find anything convincing.

While that site say it WILL support audio, I see evidence from Apple saying their MDP will supply audio. From the monoprice site description:

*NOTE* AUDIO: This adapter will support audio only if your source device allows audio output through the Mini DisplayPorts interface. If you're not sure, please check with the manufacturer or website, to confirm if your device allows audio out through the Mini-DP interface.

From the Apple site spec's on the MDP:

Mini DisplayPort.
    The new MacBook Pro has a small port that makes a big difference. The Mini DisplayPort is part of a brand-new industry standard. It delivers a pure digital connection to external displays — even large 30-inch displays — quickly and without a glitch. No more multiple-pin connectors with unwieldy screws. The ultracompact Mini DisplayPort gives you plug-and-play performance with the new Apple LED Cinema Display. And it supports VGA and DVI connections, too.

Nothing about audio...

23. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

MDP is pin-for-pin compatible with DP, just like mini-DVI was pin-for-pin with DVI. If DP can handle audio, then the MDP port can too - it should just be software/firmware to route the audio over that connector.

24. isaki87 macrumors regular

exactly. It is somewhat of a mini HDMI.

25. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Mini DisplayPort DOES NOT support audio (not a specification), only the DisplayPort is able to do so.

Software will not able to change the fact that the port does not support audio unless I'm missing something.

EDIT: Mistake. Mini DispayPort does, current cables don't allow it. So not really a software issue, more of a cable issue?