Mini displayport to Dual-link DVI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by YahonMaizosz, Apr 26, 2009.

1. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Is there anyone who owns this particular cable and is actually recommending it??

I need it to drive my 30" display, however, after reading through various forums and Apple's website, I hesitated to purchase it..

The problems that existed basically include flaky performance and distortion..

Thus, is there anyone in here that actually did not experience any problem and is happy with the product?

2. rhyx macrumors 6502

We have a few people using it. I haven't heard any complaints.

3. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

I bought one along with a new MacBook Pro last Thursday night. I've had nothing but problems with the adapter since then. I have, and this is no exaggeration, ended up unplugging it and plugging it back in no less than 12 times in the last three days. All the bad things you've read about it are true. Unfortunately for us it's the only way to drive a 30" screen with a Mac that uses Mini DisplayPort. I can't believe I paid $99 for this thing. :mad:

4. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

I am sorry to hear that.. I guess I have to wait for a FIX from Apple before making a purchase.. I just can't believe that 1) it costs $100 for a mere cable, 2) The quality and reliability of it is so damn horrible...

5. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Don't hold your breath. This problem has been around for five months at least and is well known to Apple.

It seems there is a fundamental design flaw in the cable; it should be recalled. The problems are consistent across all mini-display ports, from MacBooks to MacBook Pros to Mac Minis even to Mac Pros!!! At least the Mac Pro has a dual link DVI port.

APPLE FIX THE PROBLEM!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

6. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

So, you guys based on your experience, are suggesting me to wait right??

I wonder what is taking Apple so long to issue a fix for the cable.. This is ridiculous..

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

What's the problem exactly?

8. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

@ VirtualRain

Simply put, the mini-display port can't connect to a 30" screen (via the adapter) without issues (95%+ of the time). These issues range from an occasional screen flicker (happening every 15 - 30 min) to snow, noise, visual artifacts, freezing, etc.

This problem has been made known to Apple for at least 5 months. Apple has been unable to solve it.

Unfortunately, owners of the MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Mini have to use the mini-display port, so they are all affected if they wish to use a 30" screen. (Problem doesn't exist for smaller screens that use DVI). Mac Pro users still have a dual DVI direct connection on the graphics cards, so they can get around the problem.

9. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

The way I see it, I think that this is a hardware fault... Will Apple issue a recall or reimburse all Mini Displayport to Dual Link DVI cable owners??

10. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

It might be the graphics cards and not the adaptor itself. Two observations suggest this: 1) When running Windows in Bootcamp, people don't observe a problem even with the same machine that has issues when running OS X. 2) MacBook Airs seem to work just fine with the adaptor.

I would wait. Personally, I ended up buying a previous generation MacBook Pro because I find the change from a 24 to a 30 inch monitor more important than the changes between the last two MacBook Pro generations.

Good luck.

11. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

To make things even worse, I just found myself a very good deal of $65 for a brand new "Mini displayport to dual link" cable in eBay..

I am so tempted to press the "Buy it Now" button....

12. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    DON'T DO IT!!!

Practically guaranteed not to work. I've owned three of these cables and **NONE** have worked as advertised, and all have gone back to Apple.

13. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

You'll have an easier time selling your ACD and picking up a modern 30" display that has DisplayPort in, such as the Dell 3008WFP, than trying to get the dual-link adapter to work reliably.

14. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

This brings up another annoying issue, the lack of a miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptor...

15. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Wow.. I am curious as to what you are using now to drive your display..

16. rhyx macrumors 6502

Just to confirm - I have two people currently on Unibody 15" MBPs using this adapter with no problems on their 30" Cinema Displays.

17. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

I'm back to straight DVI to DVI. Can't use the adapters. Hence, no solution for MacBook Pros, but can drive 30" from Mac Pro (but only one right now on 2009, because other port is mDP).

You are highly unusual in this regard--also, since it is not you, but two of your people, why don't you sit next to them for 30-40 minutes and see if the screen flickers once... they may be people who don't complain... I can't have even an occasional flicker. I have presentations that need to be done, and a flicker would be extremely unprofessional, even if it happens only once every 30-40 min.

Check Apple's website. 90% of people have problems. And among those that don't, MOST are okay with an occasional flicker. They claim "mostly works, hope Apple comes up with a fix..." which I find unbelievable! If Apple were a cut-rate price-only shop, then I can understand problems like this, but it isn't!!!

SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE FIRED, APPLE. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

18. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

I have a Samsung 305T 30" display and I've had nothing but problems with the adapter. I'm curious to see if anyone with an Apple monitor is also having issues or if this is limited to non-Apple displays.

19. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

It had been 2 weeks and closing to 3 weeks since I last turned on my 30".. It had been sitting on my desk collecting dust thanks to this retarded mini displayport in the Unibody MacBook Pro...

Damn.. I am so used to 2560x1600 that everything else seems funny to me...

20. talentscoutus macrumors newbie

Problems with 30" Apple Cinema Monitor

Just started using the new MacBook Pro after having it sit for six months. Now I am getting vertical stripes about every hour and having to unplug the mini DVD adapter. Thats cures it till it starts again. Anybody have the same problem?

21. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

You are just another one of the millions who are complaining..

22. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Just received my Mini Displayport to Dual link dvi..

It has been working good so far.. I hope that it won't be problematic for me..

23. Mr. Pippin macrumors newbie

I doubt this is a hardware issue at this point. In fact, I tend to think this is an HDCP related issue, since if I have iTunes turned off, this doesn't seem to happen.

Still disgusting that Apple won't even officially say there is an issue. Regardless that the product itself has LOUSY review ratings on their own site for this very reason.

24. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

its something with the hardware compatibility. i can run itunes, dvd player or anything else and not have it happen.

its really random on my end it only happens around once-twice a week where it flickers.

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

HDCP has a hardware aspect to it, not just software.