Mini Linux build

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by slitherjef, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. slitherjef macrumors 6502a

Ah... Again with this Linux stuff, I know. Anyway my last attempt with a Linux desktop, well didn't work out too well, mostly because I planned a Windows 10 build and had issues. And the hardware was completely overkill and new for Linux.

So I've been thinking about a proper Linux box, probably mint or something else.

Would like:
    Small
    Inexpensive but with some head room for upgrades.
    Probably Intel based so I can use onboard graphics to save a little cash.

Probably use it for some coding, web browser, YouTube and general tinkering. Perhaps a VM as well.

Price? Not sure on that. Nothing insane. Figured I would start about as small as possible, think Mac mini size but you know, Linux. A raspberry pi is a bit too stripped down.

Thoughts?

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

3. slitherjef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does kinda take the fun out of things though lol

I'll check into it more as well as other parts.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depends how you define fun :)

I've incurred some significant compatiblity issues with Linux and while it can be nice rooting around and trying to fix it, that can get old especially when updating your system. I installed 18.04 Ubuntu on my MBP and it was fairly straightforward. I had to load the proprietary video drivers and some other drivers to fix the display, sleep and wifi. Yet when I updated the system, I lost the ability to control the brightness - I'm not sure I have the intestional fortitude to fix that after the work I already did.

System76 looks to simplify that, and I think its an intersting business model.