All iPads mini or air for use in house?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dljor, Dec 8, 2013.

1. dljor macrumors regular

Hi

One last post before heading to Apple Store tomorrow.

Still debating between Air and Mini with retina.

I use my Air mostly in house. I rarely travel. My daily commute is 10 min drive. My use include: pdf reading, web browsing, email. I also like to browse my photo stream via iCloud. Don't plan to game at all. Watch a few YouTube clips now and then.

I've used mini first gen also. The portability is great. I tend to hold it a lot closer to my eyes than the Air. So, hopefully reading pdfs would be as good on a mini with retina display?

It really comes down to the size and storage for me. As I have decided to spend 600 on it. So, it'll be either 32gb Air or 64gb mini. 32gb probably is enough for me, but 64gb is better.

Could you guys weigh in?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

3. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

But they do have the same resolution? it is just a matter of how close you hold them, right?

4. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

In-house? Air.

That is correct. Everything just scales down proportionally

5. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

Why Air then? If you can get mini with more storage?

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I'm confused, u own both but are still asking? Which did u use more at home that you enjoyed more? Lol

7. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

No. We have a first gen mini and an Air in the house. I don't like it as the screen is horrible. I am just wondering if a better screen would make it a better device than the Air.

8. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Just imagine a clearer screen on ur current mini. They are nice but I like the bigger screen

9. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Here is a pic...notice color difference of iTunes Store icon. Both are retina screens.

Attached Files:

10. v0lume4, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I'm just talking to you from my own experiences. Like you, I don't carry my iPad out a lot. I use it at home most of the time. While chilling in the recliner, I can rest my iPad 2 on my stomach (with a folded Smart Cover) and web browse for minutes on end. The text is nice and big so I don't have to zoom for text. Browsing is a dream on it. I often times will relax at the table in the kitchen and stand it up (again with the Smart Cover) and browse. Or I'll use it in the kitchen and watch either Netflix or YouTube while eating a snack/lunch. The bigger screen is invaluable for that. Even resting in bed, having my elbows on the bed and holding my iPad up for browsing is great. And to imagine all of those things with the quarter-pound weight reduction found in the Air, I can only imagine.

So, maybe you were able to find some insight in what I said. Good luck with the decision! :)

11. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot. You think the bigger screen is nice for most uses? Outweigh the advantage in portability?

----------

Thanks a lot. Sounds like you would definitely enjoy the full size iPad better.

The Air works fine for me. I am just not sure what a mini with retina would be like. And I don't really want to buy and return...

12. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I've had 1,2, and 3rd generations of iPad and 1st iPad mini for a year. The mini is nice and super portable, but then again I never took it to too many places. It went to same places as my bigger iPads. The bigger screen is nice on the air as I mostly use that at home anyways. Since I'm a guy and don't carry a purse lol, it's not like the mini fits in my jeans pockets or anything, so to me the air is not that much of a difference and u get to enjoy the bigger screen wherever u go

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

How close do you want to hold it to your face? That's how to decide.

Or, another way... If you don't want your sister seeing everywhere you surf then you'll need to hold your iPad closer -- like a small book -- so you'll want the Mini.

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Just imagine a clearer nicer screen than your mini. The screen is still small so lots of zooming, but it will be super nice looking.

15. Killcount macrumors newbie

16. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

OP is a joke, asked the same question every other day

17. mhdena macrumors 6502

Get the Air

But you (OP) seem to be from the "I'll keep asking till I get the answer I want tribe."

18. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Plenty of those on here, can't tell what is real anymore.,

19. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

i did post 2-3 threads.

i know it's funny, but i am having a hard time to decide.

----------

sorry. it might sound funny to me, but i am just that indecisive.

----------

ok. thanks.

----------

i understand. i will never take an iPad out without a bag...

20. nStyle macrumors 65816

Mini is better for reading. Air is better for videos. So it isn't really about home vs away - it depends on what you will be using it for. An iPad in general is a content consumption device primarily so both will be fine for that...Mini is a touch more portable, nothing major.

I think iPads are too constrictive in general (so many things I need a laptop for) so it really doesn't matter which size you get.

21. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Heres a good review from a couple days ago that brings up some very good points and hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBQ12K2nahc

OP buying a tablet to only use in the house is like buying a car to have it sit on your drivewau. Whats the point? Buy a laptop instead. Its much more productive. Youre buying a portable device thats meant to be brought with you.

22. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

I have to say that I don't really need a tablet. I do have a rmbp and an iPhone. Four other desktops in the house, including a touch screen all in one. but it's just nice to have a tablet sometimes.

thanks for the link. i will watch it.

23. mhdena macrumors 6502

Another:confused::confused::confused::confused:one

24. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Unless you wear wranglers or skin tight pants, the mini fits into coat pockets easily.

25. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

a lot of people use it as their primary device. i don't seem myself doing it. i am converting to mac, yet i can't fully rely on a mbp even... some work is just better done on a desktop. sometimes, i drive to work just to use the 30" monitor in my office.

----------

we live in rural area. don't have a lot of places to go to where u can sit and enjoy an iPad :)