Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
It is now the same price direct from Huawei: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/moni...aa&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=HotUKDeals

And it seems you should be able to get £100 cashback: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/prom...aa&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=HotUKDeals

As you can probably see, it has inserted HotUKDeals into the link as that is where I saw it. I cannot get it to remove that. Sorry if it is an issue.
According to the FAQ, that cash back offer is only for purchases up until the 29th of March:

How do I participate in this promotion?​

-
Taking part in this promotion is easy! Simply follow the below steps:
1) Purchase a new qualifying Huawei product between 21st February and 29th March 2022.
2) Submit your claim on this site after 14 days from your date of purchase and between the 7th March and 13th May 2022.
3) Wait for your claim to be approved.
4) Receive your new Reward within 30 days of your claim being validated. The item will be paid into the bank account you indicated in the claim form.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
On playing with it today with my 2015 Macbook Pro I did like it (despite some of the vagaries of the offered resolutions), though wasn't quite as blown away as I was hoping; [...]
You can use the AGDCDiagnose command built into macOS or SwitchResX to see what resolution the MateView is actually running at. A 2015 MacBook Pro is not able to display 3840×2560 at 60 Hz (631.75 MHz pixel clock using CVT-RB) due to pixel clock constraints (540 MHz if it has an Intel iGPU, ≈600 MHz if it has an AMD dGPU). You can try SwitchResX to define a custom 3840×2560 timing using a lower refresh rate. If you have a 2015 13" MacBook Pro, its Intel Iris 6100 iGPU may be limited to a height of 2400 pixels, so 3840×2400 (WQUXGA a.k.a. 16:10 "4K") would be as good as it gets on the MateView.

Last edited:

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
Mine arrived yesterday. On playing with it today with my 2015 Macbook Pro I did like it (despite some of the vagaries of the offered resolutions), though wasn't quite as blown away as I was hoping; I think with a new Mac Mini though it would look great running at a properly scaled resolution...

However, has anyone else had any issues with a very intermittent/complete lack of response from the monitor's touchbar? This one is very unresponsive (and I also hooked it up with an HP laptop and had the same issue, so not the Mac), so I think I'm going to have to return it as it seems like there's a fault.

I had the same problem with the touchbar responsiveness (did nothing, but it could wake a sleeping monitor so it was definitely working, just not doing what it should), straight out of the box, almost packed it and send it back... But mine was solved by simply disconnecting the power cable for a few second and plugging it back :)
Since then no issues at all

grandoflex

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
I had the same problem with the touchbar responsiveness (did nothing, but it could wake a sleeping monitor so it was definitely working, just not doing what it should), straight out of the box, almost packed it and send it back... But mine was solved by simply disconnecting the power cable for a few second and plugging it back :)
Since then no issues at all
Ha! Typically I've just sent mine back. Good to know though... I may well order another down the line when I buy a new Mac. For now I'm keeping my options open in case an exciting new larger-screen iMac emerges at some point over the next few months (doubtful I know, but still). Otherwise, when I get a new mini this monitor will definitely be on the list of contenders – I just hope the good deals on it in the UK will still be around then...

Last edited:

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
What is the depth of the stand? Thanks to anyone who can help.

I’m a bit disappointed with the lack of dimension specifications on the official website!

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Speaking of the stand - that's the main thing stopping me at this point.

I vastly prefer VESA mount solutions for my desk space

Lars B.

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2019
Short answer: No.

Long answer:

I've just tested this using a Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro, which sports the same Intel Iris 5100 GPU that the faster 2014 Mac minis have, on macOS Big Sur v11.6.5. Custom resolutions were created using SwitchResX.

Results:
  • The maximum height is 2320 pixels, so 3840×2560 is impossible.
  • 3840×2320 at 48 Hz works and is within the GPU's 450 MHz pixel clock limit using the CVT-RB v2 timing formula. The MateView displays that properly, i.e. with black bars at the top and bottom. Setting the scaled resolution base to 3840×2320 in SwitchResX makes macOS offer aspect-correct scaled HiDPI resolutions, such as 2560×1547.
  • 3480×2320 at 53 Hz works and is within the GPU's 450 MHz pixel clock limit using the CVT-RBv2 timing formula. This is the highest 3:2 resolution possible. The MateView expands that to fill the screen. Setting the scaled resolution base to 3480×2320 in SwitchResX makes macOS offer aspect-correct scaled HiDPI resolutions, such as 2560×1707.
Thank you very much for taking the time to test this in this detail!

Reactions: Amethyst1

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
What is the depth of the stand? Thanks to anyone who can help.
The footprint is about 174mm wide by 182mm deep.
See note about swivelling below if you're thinking of standing it on a Mac mini....

I had the same problem with the touchbar responsiveness (did nothing, but it could wake a sleeping monitor so it was definitely working, just not doing what it should)
Just a thought - mine came with a strip of protective tape all around the outer rim, including over the touch bar. I missed that at first. Could possibly affect the touch bar response.

I vastly prefer VESA mount solutions for my desk space
Yup - if you want VESA that's a deal breaker. The sockets are all built into the stand, so it's not coming off.

Let's get some of the other negatives out of the way:

- uses an external power brick. That said, it appears to be a standard USB-C adapter. The USB-C power cable detaches from the monitor & the mains cable is detachable from the adapter - what sorcery is this!?

- The stand is only height and vertical tilt adjustable... for horizontal swivel you just move the whole thing, and although it looks like it ought to rotate to portrait mode I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

- Speakers - best described as "better than nothing".

- USB 3 hub - if you use a single USB-C connection to the display then it's only USB 2, of course.

- USB-C video input & the two USB-A ports plug into the edge of the stand so you can see them from the front (Oh, the humanity!) - but that means you can also plug them in from the front so swings/roundabouts. Mini DP and HDMI are tucked around the back.

- I guess the wireless video feature is useless to Mac users. Not sure if it's Android/Windows only or Huawei only - my Huawei phone will mirror it's screen wirelessly to the display, should I ever have a desperate need to do so...

- There's a thin silver rim around the outer bezel, visible from the front. Looks fine stand-alone, but probably not what you're looking for in a multi-display setup.

I think most of those points are fairly answered with "what were you expecting for the price?".

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
- uses an external power brick. That said, it appears to be a standard USB-C adapter.The USB-C power cable detaches from the monitor & the mains cable is detachable from the adapter - what sorcery is this!?
Sorry if I'm missing the point here, but the power brick looks like a laptop power brick to me. A detachable mains cable is pretty common on these.

I think most of those points are fairly answered with "what were you expecting for the price?".
The MateView is the only "affordable" high-resolution 3:2 monitor out there right now, with the EIZO RadiForce RX1270 sitting at well over $25,000 AFAICS. If you're keen on that aspect ratio it's pretty much the only option despite the compromises to be made.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kenjutsuz

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Sorry if I'm missing the point here, but the power brick looks like a laptop power brick to me.
Yeah, just snarking at a certain fruit logo'd premium display with a fixed mains lead.
Looks like that's certified for medical use, which usually adds an extra digit or two to the price.

I wish someone would put the 4500x3000 3:2 panel from the MS Surface Studio in something that... well, isn't a MS Surface Studio with a laughably poorly-specced PC built in.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Yeah, just snarking at a certain fruit logo'd premium display with a fixed mains lead.
Ah, so I didn't get the joke. Stupid me! :)

Looks like that's certified for medical use, which usually adds an extra digit or two to the price.
Yep. There's many, well, niché resolutions and aspect ratios to be had in that niché.

I wish someone would put the 4500x3000 3:2 panel from the MS Surface Studio in something that... well, isn't a MS Surface Studio with a laughably poorly-specced PC built in.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited:

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK

the closest panel I have "found" is this one and I don't want to even imagine the price of this thing.
LG 31'' 12MP 4200 x 2800 IPS Diagnostic Monitor for Mammography l 31HN713D l LG GLOBAL

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If I'm reading that correctly, it's the display from the MS Surface Studio (sans touchscreen). I love the idea of the Surface Studio - the sort of thing Apple should have come out with - but the processor and CPU spec, for the price, have always been a joke. That said, it's probably cheaper than those medical-approved displays...

I briefly had a MS Surface Book and the (much smaller) 3:2 screen on that was gorgeous - but then it bricked itself.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
the closest panel I have "found" is this one and I don't want to even imagine the price of this thing.
LG 31'' 12MP 4200 x 2800 IPS Diagnostic Monitor for Mammography l 31HN713D l LG GLOBAL
Probably using the same panel as the EIZO RadiForce RX1270 I've brought up a few times.

I briefly had a MS Surface Book and the (much smaller) 3:2 screen on that was gorgeous - but then it bricked itself.
A friend of mine has a Huawei MateBook X with a 13.5" 3000×2000 screen. Very tempting.

The RX1270 is in the same ballpark. Medical imaging displays ain't cheap.

And you can get a controller board for it. But where to find an enclosure for a DIY build with one of these? Can you get the Surface Studio's enclosure with nothing in it?

Reactions: kyjaotkb

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
In other news, the new LG 27EP950 looks tempting, with a Japan Display RGB OLED.

Make it 5K or 6K and we have something to give the Pro Display XDR a run for its money!
Samsung’s QD-OLED looks very promising, and the Alienware monitor using it is far less than half the price of that. Pity it is curved ultrawide. But hopefully they won’t take too long to expand the monitor range of sizes and ratios.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
A friend of mine has a Huawei MateBook X with a 13.5" 3000×2000 screen. Very tempting.

I used a Chuwi (budget chinese brand) with a 12.3" 2736x1824 3:2 display for a while. I actually found it quite awkward to work with, as there's no room for 2 windows side-by-side or any extra sidebars/side panels. I'm slightly leaning towards 16:10 as better for small form factor screens.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I used a Chuwi (budget chinese brand) with a 12.3" 2736x1824 3:2 display for a while. I actually found it quite awkward to work with, as there's no room for 2 windows side-by-side or any extra sidebars/side panels.
At 150% scaling, i.e. with 2000×1333 real estate, the MateBook was similar to the dual 1024×768 CRT setup I used in the late 90s/early 2000s but with more height. Two windows side-by-side were fine. My friend uses 200% scaling though IIRC.

Last edited:

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Samsung’s QD-OLED looks very promising, and the Alienware monitor using it is far less than half the price of that. Pity it is curved ultrawide. But hopefully they won’t take too long to expand the monitor range of sizes and ratios.
totally agree, although I haven't seen any retina quality QD OLEDs out there yet.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
Samsung’s QD-OLED looks very promising, and the Alienware monitor using it is far less than half the price of that.
While the newest QD-OLED offerings are impressive, they are clearly meant for gaming. Apple would likely reject the current design because the subpixel layout is using a nonstandard triangle RGB structure. This can result in fringing around the edges of text or windows. We know Apple values clarity with their current displays, so I can't see them using QD-OLED in its current incarnation. Perhaps, in the future, there will be variants that are meant for a wide variety of applications, not just PC games and content consumption.

Reactions: kyjaotkb

Jcc37

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2022
France - Azay Le Rideau (37)
Hello,

Have you tried connecting a USB-c hub to the back of the screen to connect the power supply and the mac's USB-c (video and data)?

If so, does it work? do the ports on the side of the foot work?

Best regards

al404

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
I read a lot of pages skipping here and there
I'm switching from iMac 27" 5k to Mac Mini and this monitor + LG 27UD68 that I already use as a secondary monitor

I'm not going to play game and watch movie on this monitor

I was wondering what is the best way to connect the Mac mini, I was thinking about:
- USB-C -> Mini DV for mateview
- HDMI -> HDMI for LG

I'm not interested to use the monitor co connect device but I would like to use the USB-C / USB-A ports to charge, is it possible?

what setting do you suggest to get a similar ( but taller ) view of my actual 27"?

I also like to edit photo and I own xrite i1 studio for calibration, online I found some review that suggest not to calibrate and use default P3 or SRGB pre calibration

Since I take my photo in SRGB I guess I should use that, is correct?
Is P3 better to work / see contents?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.