Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Maybe I'm just used to my older MBP, it would boot Snow Leopard in around a minute. My new Mini Server is stock base except for an 8gb G.Skill kit. From the bong to login screen is 2 minutes. After the bong it shows a solid grey screen for 35 seconds, then the Apple logo appears, then the gear.
I have tried putting the stock ram back in and it takes the same amount of time, so I assume it's normal. I don't restart it or turn it off very often, it's usually on 24/7.
Is this a normal boot time for a Mini Server? Thanks.

holme73

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
Hi, That's definitely not normal, I achieve pretty consistent boot times of under 20 seconds with 8gb of crucial memory. Server is the dual 500gb drive model. I have it in a Raid0, but the boot times are similar to the non-raid setup for me.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
By the time mine has booted, logged in and loaded all the services it runs about 2-3 minutes have passed. Considering what its doing and the slow hard drive it seems about right to me. But, I've got it pretty heavily loaded. My solution is to leave it running 24\7 and only reboot when I have to. Usually thats for a software update and isn't too often.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Reset PRAM and ensure that you have set your OS X drive as Startup Disk in Sys Prefs.

I really didn't think this would make a difference, but it did. After selecting the startup disk and resetting the PRAM my Mini Server now consistently boots in 50 seconds.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.