Mini Server - Losing connectivity to the upper hdd

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by efegue, Nov 20, 2014.

1. efegue macrumors member

Hello,

My mac mini server (mid 2010) is giving me an hard time. The upper HDD suddenly started losing connectivity and it doesn't get detected when I restart the machine, but after some time or after some SMC/PRAM reset it starts working again till it fails after some random time...

What I've tried so far:
    - Exchange the disks to know it's not a problem with the HDD
    - Turn on mac mini with only the upper HDD connected, it detects it and works fine.

The problem:
    - Randomly disconnects the upper HDD; there's no pattern, it just happens
    - When the HDD "disappears" it's not detected right away, sometimes if I wait some hours it starts working fine
    - Sometimes the writing to the disk is slow and the machine breaks, it's a "symptom" that it is about to fail, but not everytime

Any ideas you guys might have? I've bought two new Samsung M9T 2TB drives for my server and now it's really unstable, sometimes it takes 2/3 days without crashing, sometimes it's some hours, it's pretty random.

2. cinealta macrumors 6502

3. efegue thread starter macrumors member

Well, the cable looks fine, but I don't have any other cable to try.
    I think it might be my last option, replace the cables :confused:

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'm sure OWC sells the cables, essentially the same as the cables in their Data Doubler kits. That said, the board connections would be the fist place I'd check, and they're readily accessible from the bottom of the machine.

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

okay did this issue happen with the older hdds?
    or did it start with the samsung install?

6. efegue thread starter macrumors member

I can't remember for sure because one of the older HDD's was faulty. I was using the mac with only 1 hdd for a long time.

7. MacRobert10 macrumors 6502

You may want to go to the following site:

http://scsc-online.com/Downloads.html

and take a look at their hard drive testing download. It's long but they describe what's called an intermittent generic fault which can be a problem with almost any type of connection in the system, hence the word "generic" in the name. You may want to look at the write ups on how these problems get worse and better with heating and cooling. It might be worth a shot.