Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
I just recently traded my 3rd gen iPad for an original mini through someone in CL. We each just wanted the different size screens so it worked out well. I have seen the differences and don't mind that it isn't a retina mini. Its fantastic and does just what I need. Nothing wrong with the retina ones, they are great, but if the original meets your needs just fine, I'd say save that money! I have no funds to upgrade, but even if I did I would stick with what I have. As long as you enjoy what you have and have the funds, everyone should do whatever makes them happy. Enjoy! ;-)

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I just recently traded my 3rd gen iPad for an original mini through someone in CL. We each just wanted the different size screens so it worked out well. I have seen the differences and don't mind that it isn't a retina mini. Its fantastic and does just what I need. Nothing wrong with the retina ones, they are great, but if the original meets your needs just fine, I'd say save that money! I have no funds to upgrade, but even if I did I would stick with what I have. As long as you enjoy what you have and have the funds, everyone should do whatever makes them happy. Enjoy! ;-)

Well, I just did the opposite. After starting this post with indecision, I decided to keep my retina Mini. I posted my original mini for sale on CL and put it in the add that I was also interested in trading for a fourth gen. I almost instantly got a reply, not to buy it but to trade me for a third gen. Since I have never used FaceTime in my life, and the only real difference was a forward facing camera, I decided to go with it. I have many 30 pin accessories.
I'm setting up my free (well kinda) full size now.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I just got a non-retina mini and love it! Obviously I can see the difference but it doesn't bother me and I just couldn't see myself spending the extra $100 for a retina screen.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I just got a non-retina mini and love it! Obviously I can see the difference but it doesn't bother me and I just couldn't see myself spending the extra $100 for a retina screen.

Well, its more than just the screen, but congrats on the new purchase and glad you like it.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Well, its more than just the screen, but congrats on the new purchase and glad you like it.

I know it's more then just the screen but I just couldn't see myself spending the money since it's more expensive in Canada. Here in Ontario its $549 + 13% tax which would be $620.37. Non-retina is $449 + 13% tax so $507.37. So $113 cheaper for the LTE.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I owned the original Mini as well and now have a rMini. Was it worth it? It's a personal thing, but to me yes.

Original Mini didn't handle iOS 7 as well, it was usable for sure but I sense this rMini is smoother running iOS7.

The resolution alone was worth it for me. To me it makes a big difference.

The additional memory to me makes a difference. I don't game at all on it but Safari doesn't reload tabs as much as the original Mini did, original Mini got much worse at that when I went to iOS 7.

Cons?
It's a tad heavier and I do notice it, but I'm not portable with it, for my use case it doesn't matter.

Cost, yes I list this as a Con, it's $70 more than the previous generation. People will say "but it has an A7 chip and retina screen and more memory so it has to cost more", but as I noted in another thread here Apple has never done this. They have never increased the cost of their next generation tablets or iPhones for that matter. Their new phones and tablets have always followed the previous generations pricing. People aren't used to paying more in this regard.

They should have included TouchID in both the Mini and Air. Boggles my mind that they didn't do this or were not able to do this (supply issues maybe). They are saying we care about security and ease of use when you use an iPhone but well not so much when you use your iPad.

Coomb

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2013
I know it's more then just the screen but I just couldn't see myself spending the money since it's more expensive in Canada. Here in Ontario its $549 + 13% tax which would be $620.37. Non-retina is $449 + 13% tax so $507.37. So $113 cheaper for the LTE.

I'm in Ontario too, and this is why I'm pretty sure I'm going for the original Mini. :/ Or the 4. I really can't decide between sizes no matter how many times I play with them.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm in Ontario too, and this is why I'm pretty sure I'm going for the original Mini. :/ Or the 4. I really can't decide between sizes no matter how many times I play with them.

I just traded for an iPad 3 - see earlier posts. I'm keeping my new rMini for all of my general use and traded my original iPad mini for 3rg gen ipad because I could. After my first full day of use with the iPad 3, I've decided that there is a place for this 3 in my life. I put a Skinome clear back on my rMini this morning and it's been drying all day, so I've been using the 3 and loving how well it functions. Especially enjoying the screen.
Is still too big for me to take away from the house, and the Retina mini will certainly continue to be my constant companion and serve all of my purposes very well but I do like having the larger iPad also.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Actually, I have new glasses, and see just fine with them. Name something that can be viewed on both screens to illustrate the difference, because I don't see any, except the colors are a bit richer on my Mini than they are on the retina.

How do not notice the difference between the two. One is fuzzy. I notice this a few feet away from the original mini. I never bothered with it because of this. The new screen is much sharper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 103

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Prior owner of a mini and a current owner of rMini.

I decided to upgrade for the mini for a simple reason, the screen. I like to read and if I can improve upon my user experience in reading, then its worth the expense. For me there's wasn't much of an expense however thanks to gift cards.

I found the performance a bit better on the rMini though I was a bit disappointed it wasn't as fast as I was expecting. Perhaps because its push more pixels then the mini.

Either way, I am pleased with it, and I found surfing, reading, emailing to be superior on the rMini.

I don't play much games, so I don't have any "retina" type games. My kids have some stuff on it, like minion run which I like to play (honestly its my kids :p) but I see no visual difference in that specific game whether I'm on my mini or the rMini

Tl;dr
Better screen makes the rMini a better choice

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Name something that can be viewed on both screens to illustrate the difference, because I don't see any, except the colors are a bit richer on my Mini than they are on the retina.

sure....

games, pictures, videos, text, all apps, etc.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How do not notice the difference between the two. One is fuzzy. I notice this a few feet away from the original mini. I never bothered with it because of this. The new screen is much sharper.
I didn't try zooming in on an app icon, but why would I ever need to do that in regular use? Nothing that I see in regular use on my Mini is fuzzy.
games, pictures, videos, text, all apps, etc.
I don't play games, but pics, videos, text, apps, etc. looked the same to me when I compared the two, and yes, it was a retina iPad Mini I was comparing.

My point is that while some may see a benefit from the retina screen, some of us find the regular screen quite sharp enough for our purposes and our vision.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Does safari reload pages when switching tabs on the new mini? My biggest gripe with my current mini is that and how slow it is when switching tasks sometimes. I really want to bite the bullet on this new mini but I do not want to pay 400 bucks for another device that can't store websites without having to reload them when switching tabs.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does safari reload pages when switching tabs on the new mini? My biggest gripe with my current mini is that and how slow it is when switching tasks sometimes. I really want to bite the bullet on this new mini but I do not want to pay 400 bucks for another device that can't store websites without having to reload them when switching tabs.
That's not a function of the hardware, but rather the operating system and app. It won't be any different on the retina than on the original iPad Mini.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Prior owner of mini, current owner of rMini. I'm stunned by the display difference betweeen the two, but only with text. I never really had much problem with watching videos or playing games; they looked just fine on the regular display, for me.

The text was always where I noticed a difference. I read a lot, between Zite, Newsstand, and Kindle & iBooks, and text always looked slightly blurry. That was where I always noticed pixels.

Now I don't. I told my wife yesterday that I fear the only time I'll use my Paperwhite again will be when I want to read outside.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
That's not a function of the hardware, but rather the operating system and app. It won't be any different on the retina than on the original iPad Mini.

Really? Not saying you're wrong but switching tabs on my iPhone I dont have this issue and it doesn't always happen on my iPad only sometimes. Maybe I need to monitor a little better.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I didn't try zooming in on an app icon, but why would I ever need to do that in regular use? Nothing that I see in regular use on my Mini is fuzzy.

I don't play games, but pics, videos, text, apps, etc. looked the same to me when I compared the two, and yes, it was a retina iPad Mini I was comparing.

My point is that while some may see a benefit from the retina screen, some of us find the regular screen quite sharp enough for our purposes and our vision.

im not saying you have to be its a clear example of what people are talking about. i can see this feet away from looking at the two side by side. do you not see the sharpness difference? there is 4x's the amount of pixels in the same area.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
My original low-res mini isn't that great, yet my new retina version with its image retention, isn't much better. Apple seems to be slacking off. Now that they know exactly how much latitude the buyers give them before buyers will actually complain, they've driven profits higher by building to the lowest standard customers will buy.

I think you're wrong on ALL accounts. The original mini was great. The new line of A7 units are fantastic (Air, rMini, 5s) and if anything, the engineering that went into not only building an SoC (first 64bit) off the shelf from ground up, A8 instruction set, iOS 7 re-write...as well as the XCode update for 64bit conversion (for developers) to easily convert their software to 64bits and take advantage of the new A8 instruction set, I'd say Apple is doing just the opposite of 'slacking off'. They're leading the pack. They're innovating, delivering amazing products and continue to revolutionize portable computing.
'Lowest standards customers will buy'. My apologies to the mods. Easily the most ignorant comment I've read in some time. And that's saying something lately about the RAM, storage and display conversations rampant on the forum... So many of which have been 'started' by new members :rolleyes:

I think your entire statement can be disproven by the sales of the cheaper 5c in comparison with the flagship 5s

I owned the original Mini as well and now have a rMini. Was it worth it? It's a personal thing, but to me yes.

Original Mini didn't handle iOS 7 as well, it was usable for sure but I sense this rMini is smoother running iOS7.

The resolution alone was worth it for me. To me it makes a big difference.

The additional memory to me makes a difference. I don't game at all on it but Safari doesn't reload tabs as much as the original Mini did, original Mini got much worse at that when I went to iOS 7.

Cons?
It's a tad heavier and I do notice it, but I'm not portable with it, for my use case it doesn't matter.

Cost, yes I list this as a Con, it's $70 more than the previous generation. People will say "but it has an A7 chip and retina screen and more memory so it has to cost more", but as I noted in another thread here Apple has never done this. They have never increased the cost of their next generation tablets or iPhones for that matter. Their new phones and tablets have always followed the previous generations pricing. People aren't used to paying more in this regard.

They should have included TouchID in both the Mini and Air. Boggles my mind that they didn't do this or were not able to do this (supply issues maybe). They are saying we care about security and ease of use when you use an iPhone but well not so much when you use your iPad.

I own the Air and the original mini. Waiting on the rMini to show up in the mail. Gift for my wife. Right now I'm not noticing the difference between the two as very significant (running iOS 7). My OG Mini seems to be working and handling the iOS update very well. As are all of the apps available at this point on the App Store. Keep in kind, up until now all apps have been targeted mainly at the A5 engine, 512mb of memory and still carry 32bit instructions even with the 64bit updates. So they'll run well for some time. As well, as far as refreshing apps in Safari, I again don't see much difference. Keep in mind the larger 64bit footprint on memory with the A7 devices. When it comes to actual available memory, the two are closer in parity then your think because of the display, A7 and updated apps taking advantage of the extra bandwidth.
Again...no noticeable 'tab reloading' either on out iPad 2 or original Mini in comparison with the new Air and a friend's rMini.
As far as Touch ID, iPhones were or had already become the Most stolen product in major markets and crowded areas. Worth a LOT on the black market as they were, for the most part untraceable when 'wiped'. I think the technology will come to the iPad down the road, but right now, Apple wanted to find a more efficient way to address security of the iPhone. Constraints aside, thefts of the iPhone HAD to be addressed

Right with ya. I'm very happy with my original Mini. I know my wife will enjoy her retina version....but all in all the original is an excellent tablet, with extremely efficient performance regardless of the 'older' components, again...because all of the software being written for iOS is aimed at the masses, the iPhone 4/4s/5 owners...iPad 2/3 & 4 owners. The Air, the rMini and the 5s are essentially brand new products with incredible power that has yet to be tapped. As far as 'readability', find a browser you're happy with (I use Mercury, it remembers my text size choice for each site I visit...iCab is incredible too with gesture control for increasing or decreasing text size) and you're good to go. Even Safari is very 'readable in portrait' but a bit better in landscape. Pics, vids, writing and messaging, email and occasional games, to me....I'll be fine to wait out a generation on the 2014 Mini. Imagine the improvements. What they managed to pull of this year, next year with extra/faster RAM, maybe larger storage bases, color gamut refinement, second generation 64bit processing, I'm finally going to 'wait one out' :)

J

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I picked up my new retina mini today and I've been trying it out. The original mini is still a fine machine, and I can understand why plenty of people wouldn't feel inclined to upgrade. But for me, the improved clarity of text is stunning, and reason enough alone for the upgrade (one of my major uses of the mini is reading books in pdf format with lots of mathematical notation). One of the first things I did was open up the Macrumors site; I reached over to enlarge the text a little, but then realized I didn't need to, the text was small but it was still clear and, for me at least, perfectly readable. Even with the original running ios 6 and the retina running ios 7, the retina was noticeably snappier. It wasn't a big deal because the original was always fast enough for everything I wanted to do, it never felt slow, but I did notice the difference, and I'm glad to have a device that's ready for more demanding software the future may bring. One thing that surprised me was the retina screen looked noticeably brighter and nicer to me than my original's; movies were more enjoyable to watch. It didn't seem like like just an increase in resolution, rather the color tones were nicer. The white background tone was more pleasant when reading a book. I wasn't expecting that; I'd thought the displays would be pretty much the same except for resolution, but while the retina mini may not be as perfect as the Ipad Air, for me at least it was still a noticeable improvement on my original mini. Of course that might be a fault in my particular original mini; I'm thinking of taking it to the Apple Store and comparing it to the original minis on display. Finally, after watching a movie, I was surprised to feel the retina mini was a little warm. It wasn't hot, just warm, but I've gotten used to the original mini never getting warm no matter what I do with it.

kimovski

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Macau
Owned mini 1st gen and now the retina mini. Is a great evolution, screen is pretty good, i do notice diference in color gamut the 1stgen is better, but is acceptable for me. Im still using both of them. :D

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I just picked up the rMini yesterday and I had the original for almost a year. The big difference to me is that I can read my Zinio magazines, even those with VERY small type, without zooming. It's crystal clear. On the old mini I had to zoom smaller type in Zinio and on some web pages.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Does safari reload pages when switching tabs on the new mini? My biggest gripe with my current mini is that and how slow it is when switching tasks sometimes.

I was plagued by this on my mini1. 12 hours in on the 2, it's a lot better. I've got 7 lightly graphic tabs loaded and can run between them with instant return. Going out and loading an image intensive app, then a 1080p movie, the 7 tabs are still there. But coming back to tapatalk, MRs dumped out, so it's not 100%, system wide.

Overall, loving the build quality, screen, wifi, ram, speakers, and CPU. Waiting to see charge time before judging the battery.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I was plagued by this on my mini1. 12 hours in on the 2, it's a lot better. I've got 7 lightly graphic tabs loaded and can run between them with instant return. Going out and loading an image intensive app, then a 1080p movie, the 7 tabs are still there. But coming back to tapatalk, MRs dumped out, so it's not 100%, system wide.

Overall, loving the build quality, screen, wifi, ram, speakers, and CPU. Waiting to see charge time before judging the battery.

Thank you so much!!! I think I am going to make a move for the Mini within the next week or so.

jacobss

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Netherlands
I saw the retina mini at the apple store today and I have to say that the display quality is fine, it's not as good as the iPad Air but it's by no means horrible, it's a beautiful display!

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Picked up the retina mini today and I am blown away. The display model I toyed with did the display no justice with all those smudges.

Books are night and day a more enjoyable experience. I tried to talk myself out of going retina because the regular minis screen was clear enough. Well, I was wrong. It can be a lot better and it is with the retina mini. The text is so crisp and easy to read. Heck, even tapatalk looks a ton better.
Definitely happy with my purchase after being on the fence about buying the iPad Air instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.