Minidisplay port to HDMI problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scucullu, Apr 22, 2009.

1. scucullu macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a minidisplay port to HDMI adapter. I am seemingly having a problem connecting my macbook pro to the TV. When i connect the various cables, the only thing that appears on my tv is the background/desktop image (but without the various shortcuts that generally appear on my mac). After a few seconds of moving my finger around the trackpad, the cursor will finally appear on the tv. But that's it. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be. Thanks.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You are running Extended Desktop. This means your TV acts like a second screen, where more things can fit, rather than larger version for your current desktop.

The behavior you want is Cloning, which makes an exact copy of the Desktop and displays it on the TV.

3. NPMac macrumors newbie

Had the same problem before, like the last poster said, just have to go in to display settings and change it to mirrored. by default its set to extended.

4. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

When you clone your desktop over two monitors, they will both run at the same resolution - the lower resolution of the two.

if you want the tv to run at its native resolution then you will have to use extended desktop. if you set it to extended desktop what you can do is in the display preferences panel drag the little menubar to the icon of the other screen. this will make your tv the primary monitor while it is plugged in.

for video programs and other full screen stuff its better this way cause some programs wont let you use full screen on a secondary monitor.