Minor creaking on new MBP normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPizzzle, Nov 20, 2016.

1. JPizzzle macrumors 6502

hey all,

I think I'm being OCD, but I figured I'd ask. Anyone here notice a quick creak when picking up or handling their MBP after it's been sitting for a bit. It goes away after it happens usually, but comes back when handling later on. I'm guessing this is normal for aluminum unibody construction, but just wanted to check in. Yes I'm probably OCD haha

2. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

How are you picking it up? The specific way you're picking it up might cause it to creak, but when I pickup my 15" it doesn't make any sound and feels completely solid.

3. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

from the sides. Usually its a quick sound then it's not there. Only if I haven't been using it for a while
    --- Post Merged, Nov 20, 2016 ---
    anyone else know what I'm talking about?

4. JPizzzle, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

it almost sounds like a quick click. I think it's the bottom plate.

5. Ataricade Suspended

Honestly if you are worried about a creak on a computer you really need to get laid.

The fans do click now and then on the new MBP's if thats the issue

6. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

its not the fans-it's when it's being picked up it feels like the bottom casing is making a brief noise or settling.

7. Ataricade Suspended

8. bopajuice macrumors 65816

bopajuice

Is the notebook having problems? Or is it just the noises you are hearing? Never heard of anyone having an issue with the way they are handling their laptop. Good one.

9. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

No problems. Google MacBook "creaking, clicking," and you'll find multiple threads on the topic. It seems that it's usually the bottom plate needing to be reseated.

10. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

11. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

I think I have a similar issue on my 2013 MBP. It was like this for the past 2 years. I just ignore it.

12. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. It's not like the creaking people reported online. I think it's normal for the aluminum construction that there's a little flex every once in a while. I just want to make sure since I'm within the return policy. However, everything on the computer is perfect, so I don't want to return it and get stuck with one that has a bad screen or other issues.

13. David58117 macrumors 65816

14. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply.

15. Fedevek macrumors newbie

I had this problem on my unit, 13 inch no touchbar, creaking from bottom left side when picking up or even handling it. Returned it and got another one, I won't accept anything but perfection for this kind of price tag. Here the 13 inch no toucher is 1749 euros , 1854 us dollars

16. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

Does your new one not have any creaking what so ever when being picked up? Mine usually does if it hasn't been worked on for a little, but only when being first picked up then it doesn't happen. It's almost like the chasis settles or something of the sort.

For example, I just picked mine up now with no creaking, but it had it for a second when I let it sit without use for an hour or so.

17. Fedevek macrumors newbie

Mine doesn't do that now, I let the guys at the Apple Store hear it and they also confirmed the strange noise, however they let a technician hear it and replied that it is caused by the thinner aluminum used in the new mbp, I thought it was not right since I have already changed two of this machines, first one had speaker malfunction (and didn't have that issue) second one squeaked and creaked like yours. I could feel the bottom part of the computer bending with little pressure and I didn't like that. I would return it I were you.

18. jdslow macrumors member

I have a similar issue, but it only occurs when I am using the laptop in my lap. It sounds like a tick/creak that comes from the upper right speaker area. It occurs whenever I shift my hands around (somewhat unpredictably) and is driving me nuts. My old 2014 MBP occasionally creaks when lifted, but not during general use. I don't mind hearing the odd creak, but getting it consistently during use is too much.I think I'm going to return it and try for another one.

19. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback. Mine is not at all during normal use. Only when picking up and it goes away after it makes the initial noise if that makes sense. I got a feeling if I return it, then the others would do it as well. I can't imagine one not making any noise every once in a while due to the aluminum design and components expanding shrinking (Battery) along with heat. I also noticed that if I push down on the metal above the touch bar It does make a brief noise before disappearing.

20. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I'll do an exchange. Seems like
    Let us know how the new one acts. I'm hesitant since I don't have any battery, screen or other issues with this one.

21. Fedevek macrumors newbie

I wouldn't like mine creaking that much. The last one felt like it was hollow and flexed a lot, this one feels a bit sturdier. I've just noted that it still creaks sometimes when pressing the underpart of the body, still I think that it's pretty normal for such a thin aluminum to bend in some places

22. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

23. jdslow macrumors member

After trying various typing positions today, I think I've narrowed the creak down to the bottom plate. Specifically when there is pressure (my legs) in the center of it and my hands are on one side or the other of the keyboard. I actually went several hours today without hearing it at all, then it started going again. Maybe thermal expansion has something to do with it.

Ugh. Not sure if I want to bother taking it back and having to use my old machine for another 6 weeks while I wait for another to ship. Especially if this is going to just be par for the course.

24. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

Does yours make a noise after pressing down Once? Meaning, I can't replicate mine after it happened, which makes me think it's the bottom plate shifting back into place if that makes sense. There are also battery gaps in the upper area which may explain why that area makes the noise

25. jdslow macrumors member

It is all over the map. Sometimes I can push down a few times in row and get it to make the sounds repeatedly, then it will go quiet and I can't reproduce it again for a little while. I am tempted to remove and reseat the bottom plate to see if that helps.

I just ordered another MBP. Figure I might as well get in the queue while I make the decision about what to do.