Minor Personal Pickup Gripe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DirectorMan, Oct 31, 2014.

1. DirectorMan macrumors member

I'm trying to buy a T-Mobile 128 GB 6 Plus online at the Apple Store for Personal Pickup. I'm fully aware of how quickly they disappear once they show up in the local stores' inventory, but I still think that Apple's algorithm for determining availability is a little flawed. Yesterday a bunch of inventory started showing up at many of the Apple Stores in the Bay Area. I went through the process of trying to order my phone online. I would pick one of the local stores that showed "Available today", and by the time I hit the purchase button, I got the "Error occurred/Please try again later" message. No surprise, but when I went back to the Availability choices, all the stores that showed as having availability (minus the store from which I attempted my purchase) STILL showed them as available, and there's NO WAY that they would all still be available in the time it took me to attempt to make my purchase. Even so, I tried to purchase my phone from each of the other so-called "Available today" sites, and, as expected failed each time. Come on, Apple. Stop wasting my time!

2. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

All the nearby Best Buys have Verizon 128GB models in stock. Walked in, had them price match it to Verizon (BB tries to bang you an extra $50) and walked out with it perfectly working on TMo.

3. aship22 macrumors newbie

Had the same problem all day yesterday. Tried the apple store app on both my iphone and ipad. Also tried on my mac. No luck.
    Went to the apple store near me last night as they were still showing 6+ 128 silver in stock. As I am standing there asking if they have it in stock I refreshed the store app on my phone. Showed they still had stock but every employee I talked to was adamant that they did not have stock. Really confused by this process and why I can't reserve for in store pickup.

Even tried 3 different credit cards thinking that may have been the issue.

4. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

I tried the same before going to BB. I was told the stock shown on line is for on line purchases only. So it may say 3 stores around you have them in stock, none are for walk in purchase. Incredibly stupid and misleading if you ask me.

5. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

Are these full retail 6 Pluses? That's what I'm looking for. Verizon would work fine for me.

BTW, the Best Buy website has a "Coming soon" graphic for all the 6 Pluses.

6. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Awe crap, didnt read that, just 6 I believe right now. Sorry to get your hopes up.

7. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

Damn! :mad: No harm, no foul.

----------

And while your at it Apple, fix your Apple Store app! It doesn't give T-Mobile as an option when purchasing an iPhone from my iPad. The Apple CSR I talked to in an online chat didn't realize that. And what's up with the iPhone version of the app? (I'm starting to sound like Jerry Seinfeld!) You can only buy another phone from the same carrier as the phone you're using to make the purchase!

8. noobinator macrumors 601

I tried for weeks to get a 6 Plus for pickup. I got that error probably 500 times before I got through. And I got through at 1am pacific time. That may have had something to do with it. They probably get 1 or 2 of the phone in stock and scalpers have bots set up to place the order faster than any human could.

9. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

From what I've read online in forums like this, there are separate inventories for walk-in purchases as opposed to online purchases with in-store pickup. Nobody seems to know for sure what percentage of any given Apple Store's new stock is allocated to which purchasing method, though.

10. aship22 macrumors newbie

Yeah I thought that they were different inventories also but every "genius" I spoke with told me otherwise. My frustration is if the app isn't going to work figure out a way that I can buy the phone if I am standing right there in store. I went through the buying process with 3 different employees and they couldn't figure out what the error was. I guess I will just have to keep waiting for my ATT order. Oh well.

11. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps I am being overly optimistic, but perhaps yesterday's major influx of inventory is a sign that things are starting to loosen up, and the scalpers won't be necessary anymore. To borrow from The Shawshank Redemption, "Hope is a good thing".

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

I've seen similar, I think there's some sort of caching going on that's tripping this up.

Best bet is when it's near time for a wave to hit, get your desired config in your cart and get into the checkout screens, at the last one where you can choose Pick Up and select a store.

In a second window do your stock monitoring. When one's available, switch windows select the store and complete the purchase.

13. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

I've tried as you have suggested, but have yet to have any success. Looks like it's time to write a bot Terminator program.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, tough when everyone else is doing the same and there's more folks wanting one than there are units available.

I've heard waiting up 'til 4am can be helpful too. ;)

15. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

11:30 is my limit. There seems to be activity within 10 minutes before or after that time. After that I go to bed and look forward to seeing all the iStockNow alerts that I missed. :(

----------

The Monterey Apple Store keeps beckoning me. Come to me! I have a Gold and a Silver 128 GB T-Mobile phone! Not a chance, pal! That's a two hour drive each way on Halloween on the day that all the Giants fans are out celebrating and then getting back on the road to drive home. I'll stay home, thank you very much! :cool:

16. shadowgirl, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

shadowgirl macrumors regular

I did actually get a phone by using that istocknow map. Now, I did miss the first one by not being fast enough but it did work the second and third time and I picked one up a few days ago and 2nd one yesterday. The 64gb + do go at the blink of an eye. The 128gb stay on the map a little bit longer. But we have gotten a 64gb, as I said, if on there at just the right time by accident but our 128 gb + was easier to get - i.e. didn't have to be as fast lol. And yikes the Apple stores were just as busy as they were on day one. And sadly the 64gb do seem to come and go in the middle of the night. But funny enough an Apple store 2 hrs away from me showed a 64gb for a few hours weirdly. The times I usually saw them were like 3 am in the morning give or take. But as for the 128 gb, I actually got that ordered for pickup at about 10 am because, as I said, they tend to stay a little longer sometimes at various stores.

17. noobinator macrumors 601

You can pick it up at a later date. I'm not sure how long but it's at least a few days.

18. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

The Apple Stores in my area always seem to have a lot of customers browsing, but the walk-in lines for new iPhones seems to have shrunk somewhat.

----------

True, but TWO WHOLE HOURS! EACH WAY! My wife would never let me live it down if I drove four hours to get a phone!

19. noobinator macrumors 601

I've done much, much worse that I'd rather not admit to (ok I drove 5 hours each way for a guitar).

20. shadowgirl macrumors regular

Yeah, some may be browsing. I had no problem picking up at all but boy was it a madhouse in there so it was hard to tell who was doing what.

21. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

10 days.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Newly married? :D

Two options, there are others limited only by your creativity:
    1. You and she drive two hours to go see a great show and/or eat at a great restaurant, spending the drive time talking. Oh and you need to stop by the Apple store while you're over that way.
    2. You're travelling to pick up a nice present for her that's not available closer. And since you're there, you'll stop by the Apple store as well.

:D :D :D

23. DirectorMan thread starter macrumors member

Married 15 years.

That nice present would be the 6 Plus that she wants. Well, we call always go to the Farmers Market in Aptos.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

Congrats! Where's the applause smiley?

Well there you go, investing time and effort for something for her ought not to get any jibes... (hopefully!) :D

25. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I'd drive 2 hours to see Monterey. :) I'm crazy enough to drive 2 hours anywhere to pick up something I really want, but I was fortunate to want the iPhone 6 and was able to order it online and pick it up on launch day. Good luck on getting the iPhone you want real soon.