Minor scratches on iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesapp, Mar 22, 2015.

1. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

Hello, I own a space grey iPhone 6.

And on the front of my iPhone 6 below the screen where it's shiny black glass like. I have two very small but definatly visible surface scratches. Sometimes you have to tilt the phone in different lighting to see, notice them.

I want to say. That I try to keep my iPhone's in pristine shape. And the scratches bother me. Like my iPhone 5s I still have and is practically mint.

Also, I bought my iPhone in best buy last fall. And they didn't offer the applecare+ protection plan during the purchase. But I talked to them about it. And I was told I had, I'm going on memory, but I think it was 90 days. To purchase it, it might not have been 90. But I asked the girl working at best buy. And I knew I had x number of days to purchase applecare+. And it is something I have always bought. But I put it off, and I waited too long, and couldn't get it. I was a couple days late from what I remember, I called apple but they wouldn't let me purchase it.And I have had great luck with returning iPhones to apple in the past. I probally have returned 3 or 4 iPhones with no issues in the past. And most were legitimate problems i.e. Speaker stopped working once. And once I clearly remember I noticed a scratch on my screen. Probally from coins keys in my pocket. Which I kinda feel was my fault. But I traveled to syracuse to the Apple Store, closest store to me. Set up an appointment with a genius and they exchanged my iPhone. But all my other phones I had AppleCare.

I am planning on calling the Apple Store, making an appointment with a genius, and seeing what they think of my scratches.

I am also really excited about the apple watch. And I'm trying to time my visit right. More just for me. Like I figure I might wait till April 10th till they have the apple watch on display.

But anyway, I am trying to see if anyone on the forums has either any advice on what I should do. Or maybe someone has actually had a similar experience. With or without AppleCare. And what about an apple warranty. Like how long is my phone under warranty without AppleCare? Also any thoughts on my options if it isn't covered? Like if I bring it to the Apple Store, can I pay let's say to have the screen replaced? I'd rather not do that but if I have to I would consider it.

Anyway, would love to hear what people thought.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

AppleCare and warranties (one year by the way) do not cover cosmetic damage anyway. If you care about minor scratches why not just cover it with a quality screen protector? Actually a screen protector would probably hide the scratches. Cover it up...

3. jamesapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've never used a screen protector. I've used cases in the past but never a screen protector. I don't like the idea of something in between my screen. I know I just took off my otter box. My Touch ID stopped responding. Anyway I don't want to get into that. Like I don't want to talk about pros and cons of screen protectors, it's just something I wouldn't want on my phone. And it's kinda too late now, I really do try to keep my phone mint though.

And like I said in the past at least I had one phone wear I scratched the screen and I got that phone replaced. I know when I had called apple the conversation got a little weird. Like as u said I think I was told applecare+ wouldn't have covered the scratches anyway. I thought the conversation was weird. I think applecare+ does cover accidents. Like I think I read your covered for one accident like if it was your fault? Or I think I was told, because I was arguing that do to my hard time of getting the case I wanted. I wanted a black apple leather case that certain things were related. My argument on the phone was something like this:

I felt that if best buy would have offered AppleCare, when I bought the phone, I would have definatly purchased it. But the inconvenience of them not offering it was at least partly to blame for me not getting it. And I told apple, and this might sound stupid, but that by me telling them they could improve the company. So that even if in this case they didn't agree with me. The fact that I was calling even though I'm just one customer, let's say maybe they would try to atleast make AppleCare more readily available in a store like best buy. Or I don't know about a store like let's say walmart, or target or radio shack etc. But if I bring this up maybe the next time I buy a phone it would be easier to purchase AppleCare during the time of purchase. I did say though that it wasn't the best excuse, that I knew I had x number of days and that I should have followed up and purchased it. But I did make an argument that making it more convenient would have helped me atleast purchase it. I also told apple that this was probally a couple of months after the phone had launched that the case I wanted, the black apple leather case was still not available in the stores I would go. I have a verizon store in my town. And Watertown ny about 25 miles from my town has a best buy. A couple of at@t stores. Walmart, radio shack etc. and at the time of the call none had the black leather iPhone case I wanted. And I told apple I don't own a credit card, so it's not easy to just order one from the apple website.

To be fair, even when I was talking to apple, or now. I'm not saying it isn't atleast partly my fault. And I was being lazy to an extent. Like I used my moms credit card To buy my iPhone in best buy. And I always get a case. But my argument to apple was the reason I would purchase AppleCare and the main reason I would buy a case is to protect my iPhone from something like the scratches I have on my iPhone now. And I mentioned that I still couldn't find the leather case readily available.

Anyway, that was my argument. And I'm asking a couple of things on this forum:

Can someone explain what is and isn't covered under applecare+ or the standard apple warranty?

What are people's recent experiences returning iPhones? Like is there any chance I'd have any luck if I set up an appointment with a genius?

Has policies at apple changed like I said. I clearly remember exchanging an iPhone with a scratched screen. But maybe either I got lucky or things have changed?

What are my other options, like if they don't exchange my iPhone. Can I have the screen replaced at cost by apple?

I'm definatly planning on doing something, as I said I'm pretty anal about conditions of my iPhone's.

I'm kinda thinking that although apple was tough on the phone. At the time I was just trying to purchase applecare+, but they said they can make an exception but not in my case. But that if I set up an appointment things might be different?

Anyway any help?

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

To be honest, even if you could buy AppleCare Plus and cosmetic damage was covered do you really want to spend $179 just to get another phone or have it serviced? That's what they will charge you. $99 for AppleCare Plus and $79 for service that is not considered a manufacturer's defect. I don't see it as worth paying for just for some minor scratches. Just try to live with it. That money could be better spent.

5. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

All this for two tiny scratches you can barely see, unless you tilt the phone in different lighting? OCD is a terrible thing.

Slap a screen protector on it and call it a day. Apple isn't responsible for scratches caused by keys in your pocket.

6. flom macrumors newbie

you can make an appointment to have the screen replaced at full repair cost. Pretty silly, but you seem adamant about it.

Best buy won't sell you AppleCare becaue they want to sell you their own products.

7. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

Ah save your money. Don't let it bother you much.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'm using a screen protector on my iPhone for the first time ever and have to say, I hardly notice it is there.

9. jamesapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

One thing I want to say. I don't think I'm totally off base in being concerned about the cosmetic condition of my iPhone. The scratches are minor but visible.

I mean I've been on these forums a lot. Not so much lately. But if someone's new iPhone has scratches on it it is kinda a big deal. I mean like I remember when apple discontinued the slate color on the iPhone 5. My favorite iPhone for looks. What was it scuffgate?

And I did state I don't want a screen protector. I just don't want something inbetween my fingers and the touchscreen.

I also said I returned an iPhone that had scratches on the screen.

Now I appreciate the responses but saying I have ocd Because my iPhone has scratches? Maybe things have changed but like I didn't drop my iPhone 6. I try to keep my right pocket free of anything that's were I carry my iPhone. I'm not really sure how the scratches got there. It could have been the medal buttons on some of my jean pockets.

Anyway, I'm not mad at the responses. But just a little suprised. The scratches appeared awhile ago. I say that because the iPhone 6 was fairly new. But I have read threads on these forums. Like lets say weather to use a case or not. And I mean like 10 pages of weather people felt they were gonna use a case or not on there new iPhones?

Anyway, maybe I could re-phrase my question.

I own an iPhone 6 space grey that I bought last fall. I have two minor but visible scratches on the front of my iPhone below the screen. I did not purchase applecare+, what does anyone recommend I do from this point, if my goal is to have a pristine iPhone 6. Btw I do not want to use a screen protector.

So what are my options, at this point?

And maybe I could ask a related question? I clearly remember getting an iPhone replaced from scratches on the front of my screen? Has anyone recently returned an iphone 6, or iphone 6 plus? I'm really curious has apples policy changed? Or did I get lucky? What would happen if I set up an appointment with a genius, any chance they would swap out the phone?

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

AppleCare + will not cover your scratches. You keep asking what your options are.

Take it to the Apple Store and have them replace your screen.

It will not be covered under warranty and you will have to pay for it.

That is all.

11. jamesapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

This response puzzles me? My current phone didn't get scratched by keys? I really philosophically have a thing against screen protectors. And I didn't want this thread to be about them. If people like them that's fine.

And when one of my other iPhones was scratched weather or not apple was responsible they exchanged the phone.

No one has offered anything insightful in this thread. Other than "just slap a screen protector on it."? I shouldn't say no one, the person who wrote about purchasing applecare for $99 was it? And then paying for the screen replacement was helpful. That's the kinda info I'm looking for. Come on kiddies, you got any good info lol

But I'm not mad but just suprised.

----------

Do I have the option of getting a whole new iPhone at cost? And so your saying there's no way they'll exchange it? I really am curious, there's no way they'll exchange it?

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Why do you think Apple owes you another phone if you scratched your screen. You can always buy a replacement, Apple is there and willing to take you money but Apple ownes you nothing. One must take responsibility for there own actions and not expect anything else. It is not a defect that your screen scratched, it is carelessness.

It amazes me that you do not comprehend this but it is getting to be more and more common these days.

13. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

No, there is no way they will exchange it.

14. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Was the screen scratched when you purchased it?

You said the scratches have been there awhile and if I read correctly, they weren't there or noticed when you bought it. Common sense thinking tells me, it was scratched by you unknowingly. Nothing wrong with that - it happens.

The advice you've been given so far have been good. If you want the screen replaced, you got to pay. If you don't want to pay, put a screen protector on it. Those are pretty much your best options.

It seems to me that's what you don't want to hear and you end up saying nothing is insightful in this thread.

Bottom line - pay or put on a screen protector. A Genius Bar appointment isn't going to get you a free replacement for scratches that happened between now and last fall.

15. jamesapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I honestly don't think it was totally my fault. Did you read my argument to apple? What I think I did wrong was being lazy or procrastinating if you will. And I usually do get a case.

And From what I remember this "other phone" is not new its refurbished. If anything I am exchanging a perfectly functioning iphone with cosmetic scratches for a refurbished phone. Apple can then use my phone. And when did I say apples owes me anything? I'm going on past experiences of what has happened to me? Did you read where I said I would be willing to have the phone fixed at cost.

How exactly was I careless with my phone? By putting it in my jeans pocket?

I honestly started the thread looking for advice on what to do with my iPhone with the scratches. I never said or meant to put blame on apple for the scratches? I don't know how they even got there.

16. jamesapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I ask you, do you know if this is a policy change? Like I had written I had luck with a scratched iphone in the past?

Anyway I just wanted to say I think it is coming across that I'm either looking for something or that apple owes me something. And I think that's a little unfair. I mean if apple is or was willing to exchange my iPhone for a refurbished model I would definatly take it, don't get me wrong. And I actually have had great experiences customer relation wise with iPhones. But I am a repeat customer. I've bought every iPhone since the 3G. And I plan on buying an apple watch etc. I think it works both ways.

Anyway a lot of the comments have been annoying. Like how many more people are going to tell me to put a screen protector on my iPhone. Please don't say "put a screen protector on it#

Anyway I do like a good argument too. And I really am suprised at the responses. Like look how long it took me to get an answer on if there's any chance I could get the phone replaced.

17. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

Don't be.

By your own account, you have two barely noticeable scratches and they only show up in particular lighting. Now you're in OCD mode over them.

You've partially blamed BestBuy for not getting AppleCare in time, even though they told you had 60 days to purchase it through Apple.

What puzzles me is, you want a replacement for "minor scratches on iPhone 6". Now you're looking for a consensus if Apple will replace your perfectly working phone and forget about everyone else who has an opinion.

Scratches can and will happen. It's the of the beast. If you can't handle minor scratches on a phone, slap on a screen protector or a case that protects the entire phone. Problem solved.

18. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

After the 'honeymoon period', I tend to stop caring about minor scratches and dings. I look after my iPhone very well (never dropped my 5s or this 6), but it's really not worth obsessing over wear and tear.

I've gotta say, though, that the glass in the 6 is definitely tougher than that of my previous iPhones! Surface scratches are pretty much unavoidable (and tend to be in the oleophobic coating), but the dreaded rainbow scratches seem to be far rarer in the 6*.

It's certainly not worth paying for an AppleCare+ replacement or other repair just to have a couple of minor scratches removed. I also personally don't get the logic behind covering the screen in a sheet of lower-quality glass or plastic, since that looks and feels far worse than a slightly-scratched screen! Doubly-so with the curved edges of the iPhone 6.

*Based on observations of my friends' iPhones, customers' that I've worked on and my own.

19. jamesapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the part that puzzled me, correct me if I'm wrong but when I read your comment it seemed like you were saying my iPhone got scratched by having keys in my pocket.

And I keep my right pocket free of any objects? Anyway I have read the comments. I didn't blame best buy per se. But my argument to apple was if applecare had been available like just the convenience of getting it would have helped. And I still haven't but am planning on getting the apple leather case. Part of my argument to apple was maybe if the leather case was more available I wouldn't have the scratches in the first place.

But I have read the comments and I guess I'll just live with the scratches. Like I was talking to my brother and even if I paid to have the screen replaced. It could happen again.

I just want to say I did take into account the comments. And I think I came across as ungrateful entitled or looking for something free.

And I think that is unfair. I think I just love my iPhone and wanted to keep it pristine. And I philosophically don't like screen protectors maybe ir-rational never tried one. But just wouldn't want one on my phone.

Anyway thanks

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm not sure what you expect to hear. Obviously something you did caused the scratches, I honestly think you would have noticed them on your brand new phone.

Regardless, they will not be covered by your regular warranty. There is a slight chance Apple will take pity and hook you up with a replacement, but if not you might ask if you can buy AC+ in the shop and then take advantage of it then. It will still cost you some money.

21. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

Or you could go To the Apple Store and tell em the phone keeps shutting off by itself and that you can't afford for this to happen as you use the phone for business. That ought to get you a replacement phone. Not saying do it but I bet you it will work

22. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Seems like the OP is just trying up his post count. People (including myself) have either given him advice or told him what they think his options could be. Yet he keeps asking the same questions over and over. Why won't the OP just ask Apple what his options are? Chances are they know a heck of a lot more than the MR forum members do. Oh there's a thought. :rolleyes:

----------

That is not gonna work. They will test the phone. Do you really want to promote lying?

23. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

Oh it works buddy. Trust me it works

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Its a daily device that is used way more than many standard electronics and is transported around. Of course it will scratch and show signs of use. My only advice is to put a case on it if the user is concerned but wear and tear is not and should not be covered under a warranty. I think if that was standard then many companies would go out of business very quickly indeed.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I am afraid that lying is "claimed to be" a valid choice these days.:(