Mint in Box First Generation iPhone: $500.00?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Jul 13, 2009.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I have a chance- for the lack of a better word, to purchase a still sealed, mint in box first generation iPhone. Untouched and not even removed from the brown shipping box.

Will these one day become a collector's item? If I bought this one I'd probably just leave it as is and not, of course, unwrap it.

Your thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wouldn't do it because I'd venture to guess you may never see $500 for it later on down the line. Your best bet is to perhaps see what a 1st gen iPod goes for now that we're 6 gens down the line. Last time I saw someone try to sell a 1st gen here it was well under $500.

3. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

only buy it if your a collector yourself. if u looking to reselling it, its probly not worth it.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

What you write rings true and is sage advice.

-Is there a way of telling via the codes written on the shipping label the build date of the iPhone inside the box?

The owner states it was purchased in San Jose on launch day and if the built date can be identified would probably prove itself to be one of the first phones built.
    Who knows though?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The serial will give you an indication of build week.
    The issue here is as I stated, I doubt you'll ever see your $500 again if you collect and attempt to resell.

If you were to collect and have it added as an item under say your homeowners then it will be appraised most likely much less than $500. I seriously believe that if you step back a second and look at this logically you will find this is nothing more than the geek gadget glow blinding you. It's a waste of money IMHO.

You would find a better ROI if you tossed the $500 into an ING savings account and left it for 2 years.

6. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

It's funny you would suggest this as I was truly thinking about doing so.

I never sold my first iPhone and still can't part even with my second one the 3G even though I own the 3G S. And before anyone piles on, by wife already teases me about owning three of these phones (only two are activated).

Of course, although I take care of my stuff, no way would they be considered in flawless mint condition and one thing I've learned about anything that is collected, condition is vital.

It is why the above offer was attractive to me.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My first gen sold for $275. I was looking for a super quick sell. It had exactly one scratch on it. I would say if I pushed I could see $350 but that would have been a push.

Again, $500 ... I wouldn't do it but I never tell someone how to spend their money.

8. bredfan macrumors newbie

I just gave my brother my 1st gen. I thought of the possibility of keeping it. However, by the time it would become a collector's item, I would expect it to be useless, since the battery will eventually go anyway. Sure the battery can be replaced, but if the phone is that valuable, imagine what the batteries would cost.

How well do you trust the seller? Can you absolutely guarantee there is actually a 1st gen iPhone in that box?

$500 is a heck of a gamble, unless, as stated earlier, it has that value to you.

9. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Good call.
    If I'm inclined I'd offer a bit less and see if he's interested.

A little back story.
    He purchased it on launch day and within a day or so his employer offered his top guys free iPhones.
    Before he could even get the box opened to his he was syncing the other one and didn't have a need for two.
    Why he didn't simply return his he admits doesn't make sense, but was able to get out of the contract as 35 phones were purchased from the same vendor/AT&T and they allowed my buddy to discontinue his agreement yet keep the phone.
    I just found it unusual to think there would be a two year old iPhone that is still sealed in the original box. Struck me as kind of cool.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Electronics? Collector's items? I honestly don't know of any such item, let along worrying about mint condition. I don't even think you could fetch $500 for an original never-used NES. That's the only iconic electronic device I can think of, and I know I wouldn't pay $5 for one.

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

Actually the serial number will tell you the plant, week of manufacture and the sequence number of the phone within that week.

The $500 price is crazy high for an original iPhone since it will be most likely a 4GB unit. Unless you just have too much money burning a hole in your wallet, it is not a good deal. Remember, you asked us! Why not just get a new 32 GB iPhone 3GS?

Dave

12. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I don't think a phone is a collectors item. It's a tool for getting things done.
    Anyway, $500 is ridiculously high. I would be tempted if it was maybe $30. But that would be my final offer.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Bottom line is $500 is way too much. $300-$400 perhaps but don't expect to see $500 ROI.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Someone has been trying for ages to sellthis 1st gen 5GB iPod, unused, for $499.

No takers, 8 years after its release. That should tell you something. It's arguably a more important product in terms of Apple history, if you're looking at it from a collector's standpoint...without the success of the iPod, much of what Apple is today would not be the same, and one could even argue without it there may be no iPhone.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Don't knock yourself out big spender. Obviously you have never collected a thing.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't get it. he was not saying he was buying it, I believe he was saying he agreed it was worthless.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

How bout $1350 for for aMac 128k?

Or $2500 for an NEScartridge. A cartridge!

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

right and I'm calling him out on being close minded by not even considering that there may indeed be a market for it some day.

19. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Sure yours is in sealed in a box still but you can get excellent condition 1st generations on Craigslist for $150-200.

Apple even sells 4GB refurbs for $150 occasionally.

20. MD5Hash macrumors member

MD5Hash

To the OP - should try gently/casually showing your iPhone seller this link, and encourage him to consider knocking the price down a couple hundred. I mean, you're honestly interested in the piece as a collector's item, but you're no Beanie Babies fool or something. I think the more you can show him that you've done your research on what's out in the market now and what it's going for, the more likely he'll be to back down from that price.

21. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

yeah. :)

22. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

don't sell it too high or it will never sell out.. did u try ebay?

23. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

it's still worth quite a deal :D

24. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

I see the original iPod being used as an example of pricing and how possibly $500. is out of line for the iPhone.

Remember though anyone could walk into a store and purchase the iPod and simply leave it mint, in the box.
    The iPhone is a different animal, especially the first generation, as AT&T would just about always remove it from its container and box and activate it in the store for you.

I can't imagine, under the guidelines in play back then, too many would be available still sealed as simply walking in and purchasing it and leaving the store without activation was problematic at best, improbable at worse.
    Couple that with the findings of not many if any would purchase the iPhone and not use it even if they made it through the gauntlet of AT&T policy.

There is a saying, "If it states it is collectible it means it's not." (Kind of like 'collectible' plates and whatnot purchased via the back page of "Parade" magazine...)

The iPhone never was intended and still isn't today, a collectible thus at least opening up the possibly in the future it may be.
    And, if it ever is it'll be the few iPhones with low built dates still sealed in the box that will lead the way in pricing.

Trust me, I don't fully buy the above argument, but it is presented to supplement some of the opposite thinking presented on this thread.