Miracle Battery Testimonies?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lonewolf604, Jul 14, 2012.

1. lonewolf604 macrumors newbie

Just got my air today. It was at around 21% like an hour and 15 min ago. Fast forward now and its around 13%. I'm trying to drain it just watching youtube and light browsing, and I'm actually getting quite impatient with it lol!.

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The battery seems better on my 2012 than my 2011, but not amazingly, certainly not a "miracle" ... lol. Any improvement over the 2011 is greatly appreciated. Would be nice if in 2013 Apple could really strive for the 7-10 hours other competing ultrabooks are packing.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What ultra books are you referring to exactly?

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Google "intel ultrabook" ... just about any ultrabook.

Search much?

5. pandaguy macrumors member

I haven't been blown out of the water with the battery while doing semi-intensive downloads. The most I seem to be able to get period is 5 hours.

6. Skoopman macrumors 6502

Wi-Fi drains the battery very fast, nothing unexpected. If you just browse the web, it's not dramatic, but highspeed downloads at 60+ Mbit/s drains the battery quite fast.

7. mikkker007 macrumors member

Not overly impressed with 11" Batt......... but not upset either...... Web surfing/iphoto/imovie.... iTunes .......all at same time.... Actually......?!! I'm impressed!!

8. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Breaking news.....Breaking news.....Breaking news.....

To achieve a small and thin form factor, the battery couldn't be as large.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

Maybe they shouldn't achieve the thinnest design. I'd rather have a more ergonomic design that allows for say, more or larger battery cells. I think it would help tremendously if they used a straight design like the MacBook Pro Retina and not the current tapered design. You get more space in the front of the notebook where you can add thicker or additional battery cells. This allows for a much better battery life. Would be very useful for the 11.6" Air. Also makes the notebook stronger and better to hold.

10. theSeb, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Thank you for the engaging and thought-out counter argument. I read a lot of reviews and I don't see many ultra books reaching what you claim in real world use, but thanks again.

Obviously you and I have different definitions of "just about any".

[​IMG]

According to Anandtech's benchmarks, only three of the ultra books in the chart manage over 7 hours during Internet browsing.

11. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

And yet EVERY single one of these computers beat the MacBook Air 11" inch hands-down in real world tests, what's not "just about any" ?!?! Sorry I meant ALL if we're going by your list. MBA is stated to last 5 hours on Apple.com, so obviously that's not real world, but these that you post are real world so obviously apple is bottom of the pack.

Did you even think about what you were posting? Thanks for making my point.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I haven't made your point. I think you meant proving your point, which I didn't do either. When the MBA is tested using THIS same test, then we can compare. This isn't rocket science so I'm not sure why it alludes you. You can't just arbitrarily compare what Apple claims to these benchmarks. It's illogical.

13. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Huh? Yeah, you can. Claims vs real life always differ. So the others claim 7-10 hours, and get 5+ on all of these tests you showed. So Apple claims 5 hours, so their real world result is 3-4 hours, as most state.

And I think you mean elude, not allude.

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You claimed that nearly all ultra books are packing 7-10 hour battery life. I have shown that to be incorrect. You did not mention that they were claiming this, so it's a bit silly to move the goal posts now. Once the MBA is tested using the same benchmark, then a valid comparison can be made. You can keep arguing until you turn blue, but it won't make your first post any less wrong.

Yes, I did. A grammatical error does not invalidate my point.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

And they are all 13" notebooks. The 13" MacBook Air also handily beats the 11" MacBook Air in real world tests.

The 11.6" MacBook Air is somewhat in a class of its own, as there are very few Ultrabooks its size. The Dell XPS 13 is close (since they cram a 13" screen into a case slightly larger than the 11.6" Air), but its battery life isn't great, either.

16. TSRodes macrumors newbie

I find that my 13" MBA's battery life is significantly higher than Apple's figures when used with moderate intensity, e.g. Photoshop CS6, Safari, intermittent Spotify, intermittent downloading via Transmission. You guys can argue this ad nauseam, but at this point, the nature of this conversation is pretty much speculation.

My opinion, however, is that the 2012 13" MBA's battery life is on par with it's competitors. I do understand that this is not a fact, just my experience using my computer to meet my needs.

17. calvol macrumors 6502a

Miraculously, I sometimes get over 18+ hours on my 2010 13 MBA, see attached thumbnail, battery at 18:42.

Attached Files:

18. TSRodes macrumors newbie

WOW. Is that an accurate estimated battery life? Like does it say that when you're not doing much and then decrease significantly when you're running more stressful applications?

19. asting macrumors 6502

What do you think? :rolleyes:

20. scarred macrumors 6502a

God I miss down votes. Are you serious? Read your last sentence. Then read it again. Take your own advice.

21. TSRodes macrumors newbie

Haha give me a break. It's hard for me to believe that even the most generous estimate would touch eighteen hours in the first place.

22. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

It's all in what you're comparing it with. My 2009MBA would go red with about 15 minutes left. When my 2012 hits the same percentage, I've got an hour and a half left. Muahahahaha!

23. asting macrumors 6502

What?
    I'm saying of course it's inaccurate.

On topic though: I've been using my laptop for the first time off the outlet for an extended period. I've used it for about 5 and half hours and 26% left, which puts me on the path to about 7.42 hours. This is the i5/8/128 13" and I've been watching videos, browsing forums, etc at about 40% screen brightness with bluetooth off.

I'll take it!

24. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Correct, They claim 7-10 hours of batter life like Apple claims 5 hours. In real world they produce 5-7 hours (based on your own study you posted), and Apple produces 3-4 hours in real life. That's EXACTLY what I said from the beginning. I'm not understanding your point... they produced almost 2x the battery life in both stated performance, as well as actual real-world testing. That's all I'm saying. I have a feeling if I were to say Apple is a fruit, you'd try to argue it as well.

----------

I think he had left it sitting idle for 10 minutes then clicked the screen power from none to 1 bar, then snapped a pic. That produces that result.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

But, as has been pointed out, those Ultrabooks are all 13" or larger models. Apple claims 7 hours of battery life in the 13", too, and delivers about 5.5-6 hours. The apples-to-apples comparison for the 11.6" MacBook Air would be to another similar-sized notebook. The closest one is the Dell XPS 13, which has a 13" 16x9 screen in a case with a similar size as the 11.6" MacBook Air. It claims a similar 5 hour battery life as the 11.6" MacBook Air and has a similar real world battery life.

I'm not sure what you are expecting. The 11.6" and 13.3" models have the same components (except the base 11" processor is 100MHz slower). Of course the smaller one will have a lower battery life because it has a smaller battery.