Missed opportunity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jun 18, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Ok, so I’ve been thinking the 3G thing over since wwdc and decided today at lunch I wanted to get the 16gb iphone….version 1. I hate the full plastic, GPS is something I’ve never used or plan to use and 3G…well, it would be nice to have 3G, but I’ve been using EDGE for over a year now and it’s fine. All things considered, the new iphone offers relatively nothing of great value to me in my own eyes.

I took off at lunch and went to 3 ATT stores in hopes of getting the version 1 iphone (yes, I realized it was probably not gonna happen, but worth a shot). As I suspected, all 3 ATT stores in Dallas were out.

Some of you may say to get one from a previous owner…but that’s a no-go in my book. I want brand new or not at all. Guess I’ll settle for the cost-cutting 3G on July 11th.

However, here’s what made me post to begin with (as you all may be wondering, what’s his point?):

All 3 ATT stores were the same. None of them had any promotional material up or around the store. None of them had a 3G display model. None of them knew what time it would go on sale at their location.

In fact, all 3 stores said relatively the same thing in that they wouldn’t get DISPLAY models until either the day before or day of the July 11th launch. What?? Why??

This seems sorta suspect to me. Why wouldn’t Apple provide at least a display model to stores planning to sell their product when they have a whole month to promote? Are they hiding something? Are they trying to keep the cheap feel of the phone out of peoples hands to avoid bad word of mouth? There has to be a reason.

These are 3 LARGE ATT stores in the heart of Dallas, TX. All 3 with no clue about cost, plans, promotional material or demo units. Am I the only one who views this as suspect?

2. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

it helps create the buzz that apple is known for surrounding the release of new products. uncertainty makes more people interested.

3. PAH Mac macrumors member

Interesting. I reached the same conclusion the other day. Since I live in an EDGE area I decided I would rather buy the more expensive gen1 phone and pay the lower monthly bill. I called 4 or 5 AT & T stores and they were all out. On my last call the girl told me that I probably wouldn't find one at an AT&T store since they had gotten a memo/email (I can't remember which word she used) telling them to send all their iPhones back. She suggested I try an Apple store. I thought it was strange that they would send all the phones somewhere instead of selling off the stock they have. I agree that it is strange that the stores would not be advertising. I guess it takes them a bit to get all of that kind of promotional material together.

4. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

eh, sorta....to some extent. The buzz part of the plan was when the v1 phone was sold out and we had a month to wait till wwdc.

remember, there isn't promotional material (no posters or such), no demo unit (v1 had demo units up) and even the ATT staff had relatively NO clue or information.

i don't think this is a "create buzz" tactic. I mean, besides us on MR or tech savy people, who else even knows a 3G is coming out unless there is a marketingn push by ATT and Apple?

5. backfromtejas macrumors newbie

If I remember correctly, didn't the same thing happen when the first iPhone was released?

Display models only went up on the day of launch.

But do you really think that Apple is trying to hide it's "cheap" iPhone because it's afraid people won't like it?

I doubt it. Apple is just simply getting away from "The more you know, the less you need." In my mind, in the business sense, it is absolutely very smart that Apple is doing this.

6. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

did apple provide display models for the iphone last year? I don't think so. Does apple ever provide display models for any of their products before launch day? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! It's policy, and it certainly works to draw crowds to launch day. And have we ever been disappointed? Seriously dude, you're going to be happy with your new iPhone. And did you actually just say that you will never use GPS? WTF, GPS combined with the already excellent Google maps will be amazing.

7. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

but that worked because the v1 iphone was a brand new product that no one has ever seen or used before. i understand the secrecy of the marketing push for the v1 phone.

however, v2 is just the SAME phone with plastic and a faster network. what is the point of trying to be secretive? everyone knows how an iphone works and how to use it and what it looks like. there is no suspense or surprise by holding out marketing material or putting up a demo unit.

there IS a reason why this is Happening.....maybe it's the plants. ;)

8. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

i think you're highly underestimating how many people are aware of the new iPhone. its on a VERY SHORT list of cell phones whose release is covered by the national media. i've seen spots on CNN, MSNBC, the Today show. And the TV commercial is starting to air. i've had calls from family members who keep their finger as far as possible from the 'technology pulse' asking i'm "gonna get that new apple phone". i think apple has got the marketing thing pretty well figured out.

9. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

yeah, that's what i said.....i'll NEVER use gps....what do i need it for? tell me how to get to the nearest pizza place or sushi place or 7-11? whoop-dee-do.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    They are withholding display models because they don't want everyone to see the front facing camera, 5mp camera, and taser gun features on the iphone 3G :D

11. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

well, that's a dumb idea on their part if that is the strategy. as of now, i wanted to get the v1 iphone, but if they had other features that they actually released, then i may have been inclinded to get there 3G which will generate them more money in the longer run because of the data price increase.

who knows....others may bail on the 3G idea and go for an entirely differnt product/model.

not a smart move to withhold top-tier features on a product...it could backfire.

anyway, i still think there is some weird reason we aren't seeing promo material and demos. it's not like a revised mac (from white to metal) or a new product (MBA) or a redesigned ipod (nanos).......no, it's the exact same looking iphone, only with a cheap plastic back. what's to hold out on for that????

12. alFR macrumors 68020

So, you've never been somewhere unfamiliar on business, running late and needing to find the restaurant that you're going to meet your friends in? Never needed to know the fastest route through an unfamiliar city to where you want to go? Never been on holiday, forgotten/lost your city map and wanted to find the next place you were going to visit? Maybe you don't need GPS then. All I can say is you must not get out much. :)

p.s. I realise you can do all those things without GPS, but as quickly and conveniently? I don't think so.

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Unless they are just SO behind that they don't have enough 3G phones to send out for demo's and they are just concentrating on getting enough out there for launch... which would explain the delays (assuming an original launch date of june 27th)

I'm kinda worried about Apple's health... after such a high from last year I feel that they might actually be faltering.. it scares me as a recent apple convert!

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

You may want to search CL as you may find someone selling a BNIB iPhone. I know I had seen a couple of posted for my area when I was searching for a 8GB.

15. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

You people will reeaacchh for anything possible just to put a negative spin on the 3G iPhone...

No display banners means they are ashamed and don't want the public to see it? The damned thing is plastered all over their website for Christ's sake! What do you think gives a better representation of the device, hi-res images on the web, or a cardboard cut out?

No working display models, they are hiding the "cheapness!" Apple never puts out working displays pre-launch (as far as I can recall anyway).

C'mon man... Buy a used first gen, wait for the second, or get a different phone. You don't need to add yet another conspiracy theory to the forum that the misinformed will grab onto and run with.

16. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

lol......so because i don't need GPS in the examples you provided, you categorize me as "i don't get out much"?

wow....just wow....

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

are you serious? apple does this with EVERY one of their products. They wait until launch day to even put up display units.
    and for the last time: Steve showed us all the hardware features of the iPhone 3G at WWDC.

18. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

fyi... at&t didn't put the demo units out last year until they closed the store to prepare for the 6pm launch. Thinking about it... they still have the original 2g on display now... thats all you really need to get an idea of what it is.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Well, if you have a V1 iPhone, the Maps app works pretty well for that. It's pretty spot on in every city I've been in.

20. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

If you're talking about at&t then I'm pretty sure they're not in control of if/when they get display models. If you're talking about Apple in the second bold part, I don't think they make any money from the price increase for data.

It's hard to work out who you're talking about in that paragraph as you refer to tariff costs and hardware features at the same time....

21. backfromtejas macrumors newbie

Seriously! These threads have been getting so ridiculous. I mean, being excited about the new iPhone and analyzing every little thing to make conspiracies are two very different things.

22. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Think of this - they don't *need* to promote it before launch - most of the people who would get one on launch day already know about it. Once the initial bedlam has died down, then they can start promoting it, showing the commercials on actual TV and putting up displays and stuff.

23. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I haven't read all of this thread, but to the original poster, the non-release of promotional material does kinda support the "unreleased features" rumor...

24. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

25. alFR macrumors 68020

You did see the smiley in my post, right? :rolleyes: