Missing Album Artwork

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by C0SM0, Sep 17, 2014.

1. C0SM0 macrumors member

Since updating to iOS 8, some of my album artwork is gone. I've tried resyncing, and even redownloading an album from the iTunes app, but the artwork is still missing.

Is there anyone else who's experienced this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. FantasyX macrumors member

I have the same issue after downloading iOS 8, both on my iPhone 5 and my iPad 2!... I've also tried re-syncing with my Mac mini (running 10.9.5) but the problem still remains! :(

Any solution?

3. Blackhawk5966 macrumors newbie

I am also experiencing the same issue. After updating to iOS8 on my iPhone5, it seems all my purchased music's album art it missing. However, album art that I have manually applied to music tracks have not been affected. None of the music in my iTunes library has been affected. Backing up, syncing, and re-syncing have not solved this problem. I also have an iPad2 and after reading users having the same problem on those devices I have decided not to update to iOS8 on that device. At least not until the problem is fixed on my iPhone5. It's not that big of a deal to me because at least the music still works on my iPhone5. It's just annoying. Especially when such a huge company like Apple should have noticed this bug in their beta testing of iOS8. That's what's frustrating to me.

4. C0SM0 thread starter macrumors member

I finally had to restore iOS 8 on my iPhone, and then restored from my backup. Everything is fixed now. All music synced without issue, and iTunes even seemed more stable while syncing. I guess iOS 8 didn't install correctly the first time.

My iPhone seems to be running better now too.

I'd recommend reinstalling iOS 8, if you're having trouble. It fixed all of my problems, hopefully it can fix yours too.

5. FantasyX macrumors member

Did you have to back up your phone to the iCloud, and then rest it to its factory settings, re-download iOS 8 and finally backup the content from the iCloud?...

Or was there an easier and less scarier way?

6. C0SM0 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I'm not sure about iCloud. I do local backups to my mac through itunes.

To do this through itunes, all you need to do is click on your iPhone in itunes, then click the restore button that is next to the check for updates button. Itunes will usually ask if you want to backup first. Just follow the on screen prompts from itunes. When it's finished, it will ask you if you want to set up the phone as new, or restore from backup. If you choose restore from backup, itunes will restore your apps, app data, settings, etc. The only thing itunes doesn't restore is media. You will need to sync music, videos, and other media to get them back on your phone. Also, if you chose to encrypt your itunes backup, you won't need to re enter your passwords, once you restore.

I hope this helps.

7. FantasyX macrumors member

Thank you so much, I appreciate your reply. I'll give it a try and see if it works.

8. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

9. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

not cool, apple.

I used to get album art on my playlists for my iPhone 5 64GB (62+ playlists), not anymore since the upgrade.

10. zero hectic macrumors member

Having the same issue on both my iPhone 5s and iPad Air. Posted about it with pics on the iOS 8.0 bugs thread.

-z

11. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Same here - I was a little disappointed to see that the little album art picture was gone next to each of my playlists. Oh well - at least I know it's a broad issue and not just my phone!

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I was having this problem too... seemed to be limited to m4a tracks (iTunes purchases and Apple Lossless tracks). Even then it was somewhat random. What worked for me was going to File > Library > Get Album Artwork, then resyncing. iTunes fairly quickly gathered album art for those songs that weren't displaying it in iOS 8, and then resyncing my phone brought all the album art that was missing over.

Not sure why this is happening, as all of my tracks have always had album art, and it all displays correctly in iTunes.