Missing Google Maps transit directions in iOS6? Try HopStop (free)!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by DodgeV83, Sep 16, 2012.

1. DodgeV83, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

HopStop is my current favorite app for transit directions, and it's free. Unlike the other apps, it integrates walking and transit directions while taking advantage of the compass. Essential to make sure you're walking in the right direction. It also automatically updates schedules for track maintenance and unplanned delays. It really goes above and beyond Google Maps on this front. Once HopStop updates their app for iOS 6 map integration I think it will be the perfect solution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you'd like to try them out before downloading the app, check out their site:

http://www.hopstop.com

I also like Bing maps, but it's really not in the same league as HopStop. If anyone knows of a better alternative, let me know :)

2. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Thanks for the heads up ! This app is great and works for my city. I only whish directions could be saved off line .

3. SinkOrSwim macrumors regular

SinkOrSwim

It sucks that Apple didn't thought about this. C'mon! They live close to San Francisco where public transit booms, and they include it? *double face palm*

4. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

5. newagemac macrumors 68020

Uh, this is exactly what Apple said they would do. They feel that dedicated 3rd party public transit apps would do it better than Apple or Google can. I tend to agree. There is just no way Google can be better than the locals can and they generally aren't. The dedicated local apps are usually better. They just don't get as more exposure. In my city the dedicated local transit app is updated much faster than Google and the information is more accurate. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand why.

In iOS6, Apple is integrating the local transit apps into the new Maps App. Not only will you get better data now but now they have more incentive to keep that advantage and improve their data even more.

6. SinkOrSwim macrumors regular

SinkOrSwim

--- I still think googles transit stuff is better. But we will see.

7. benguild macrumors 6502a

8. jeffe, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

jeffe macrumors 6502a

AFAIK, Locals are actually the ones doing it on Google Maps too through an API. They push the data to Google and google just displays whatever information the cities provide on the map application.

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/transit/partners/participate.html

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Here in the UK, I don't think any bus company or local government provides an App for this purpose.

There's an App that you can buy (for buses only) which basically displays any information that it can find for you, but it doesn't cover everywhere and all services. It doesn't work with the Maps App in iOS 6 (yet).

Google offers more than that for free, so iOS 6 is a huge step backwards.

10. DodgeV83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have you tried HopStop, or Bing?

11. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

HopStop is ok...the interface is very cluttered though. I tried it about 2 years ago but then stopped using it as google maps public transportation directions were better IMO. Since I've been on the iOS 6 beta and this wasn't an option HopStop has been my only choice. I hope google maps comes to the App Store as there is no better option for public transportation directions at the current time.

12. DodgeV83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just tested HopStop vs Google maps in a real world situation (needed to get somewhere as fast as possible). While standing 50 feet from a station that would give me a direct route to my destination, with no transfers, Google Maps told me to walk 1-2 blocks away, and take a route that required a transfer (eventually getting on the C train).

HopStop told me to use the station right next to me, which got me on the C train immediately, no transfers.

That's pretty much been my experience.

13. typeoserv macrumors newbie

In NYC I've found Embark to be a bit easier to work with than HopStop. Having to input the boroughs each time you're getting directions (on HopStop) gets to be pretty annoying

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Transit is not in Apple maps? I use that a lot when I travel. Maybe I will hold off on upgrading to iOS 6 until Google releases a maps app.

15. DodgeV83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've found that it gives directions just fine without putting the borough, as long as there isn't a duplicate address in another borough. If there is, well then you'd have to put it in no matter which app you use :)

Also, tested Embark and HopStop for the same route, while Embark knew about the service advisory putting the C train closer to me (25 feet away), it still asked me to walk half a mile to get to the normal C train station. Both Embark and Google maps failed me today, where HopStop was the only one that gave me the correct route based on current subway service advisory conditions:

[​IMG]

16. Daveoc64, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't think HopStop covers anywhere but North America.

Bing couldn't find a bus for me to get home from work when I just tested it.

17. jaynor macrumors newbie

HopStop also covers some cities in Europe and Canada.

18. peglegjack, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Here is my problem with HopStop, and why I'll stay with iOS 5 until Google comes out with a proper app for maps:

1. It's a fugly mess. On the native Google Maps, I can look at the map and the directions on the same screen. Everything is very easy to read. On HopStop, it can get very confusing, and switching back and forth can be a real pain.

2. It's way too rigid with its results. As an example, I live in Brooklyn. Say I want to leave the Myrtle J at 7:50 AM and go to an address in the East Village by 8:30. Now there may be many ways to accomplish this, and both the native app and HopStop can provide these routes. Where HopStop goes wrong is the lack of grey area with its results. HopStop has an option where you can pick whether to find a route with as little walking as possible or as much walking as possible. So you'll end up having a result to where you'll go all over Manhattan to get to your destination, or a result where there is walking when a bus would've been faster. I know this because in the native Google Maps, it DOES have that grey area, meaning that it will give me those results that allow me as little walking as possible and a route that shows how far you would have to walk. But they are always the shortest possible routes to your destination, and this is done without having to switch any settings. HopStop doesn't do this, and it's a total pain.

I absolutely refuse to update an OS which gives an inferior experience for a feature that I completely depend on for efficient and quick work commutes.

19. DodgeV83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with that, but I think I see what you mean. Both Embark and the Google web app give me multiple options in iOS 6, but HopStop doesn't let me choose.

Google Web App:

[​IMG]

Embark:

[​IMG]

HopStop:

[​IMG]

I think Embark definitely looks the best, but it doesn't integrate service advisories very well, and I've personally seen HopStop give better routes than anything else. I still choose Embark over Google maps (even in iOS 6), as it doesn't require service to route, and looks cleaner.

That being said, if the map view from Google maps is important to you, you still have access to it from the web app:

[​IMG]

So I don't see how iOS 6 could affect the efficiency of your commute.

20. jaynor macrumors newbie

That feature is coming soon. Just waiting for the app to get approved.

Screenshot of what's to come:

[​IMG]

21. akatsuki macrumors regular

22. DodgeV83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice!!!

----------

Embark already does, and HopStop will soon according to their Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/HopStop

Just waiting for the app to be approved!! I must say, this really brings navigation to the next level compared to what we had in iOS 5 :D

23. Scott006 macrumors member

This is a badly needed feature. Sadly I don't think we'll be seeing HopStop in the UK beyond London for some time, not all the world lives in America or token European mega cities you know.

24. DodgeV83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then you should start petitioning your local devs to work on it ;)

Or just use the Google Maps web app if that works for you.

25. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

GUYS...

It's clear Apple is promoting car use over public transit to increase pollution. I am an Apple fanboy so I guess I will just start driving a lot more instead of using public transit to fill the air with pollutants.