Missing site alerts/notifications

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by C DM, Jan 27, 2016.

1. C DM macrumors Westmere

Is anyone else having some issues with missing site alerts/notifications for something like quoted posts or mentioned posts?

I've come across some of these before, but it seems like it's been happening a little more in the recent days where I would read new posts in threads and see my posts being quoted (properly as far as I can tell) or my username being mentioned (with the @ symbol and everything) and yet I don't see alerts for those. It doesn't seem like they are delayed, but just not there. It's still something that only happens for a small subset of quotes/mentions, but seems to have picked up a bit recently for some reason.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Can you link me to it the next time you notice it? I can see if there's something wrong with how the post is constructed.

arn

3. C DM thread starter macrumors Westmere

Sure, I'll keep an eye out (since it's fairly sporadic at best) and will provide a link.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I wonder if merged posts affect it.

edit: ah crap, I'd execmpt from merged posts so I can't test.

5. C DM thread starter macrumors Westmere

It's an interesting theory.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2016 ---
    I'll see if I can make that connection (or not) when I encounter any of these missing alerts again.

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

So that didn't mention you specifically, but you are following the thread?

It will only alert you once until you read it. So if a thread gets 10 replies before you go back, you will only get 1 alert. Is it possible that happened?

arn

8. Alrescha macrumors 68020

That is correct.

Well you've got me there. The last alert I received for the thread was at 12:10 Eastern. There were two updates since then and it is certainly possible I did not visit the thread after the first update. Not like me of course, but possible :)

A.

9. C DM thread starter macrumors Westmere

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

11. C DM thread starter macrumors Westmere

I did edit my post after the reply, but I don't think that stops the quote notification, at least I don't think that it had before.