Missing top/bottom of display when connecting MBP to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nw43, Jan 26, 2011.

1. nw43 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Hope someone is able to offer any advice on this issue. I've got a 13" MacBook Pro from July 2009 connected to my 37" Panasonic Viera TX-L37G10 via an adaptor (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SKJKE2/ref=oss_product)

The problem is that when connected to the TV I'm missing bits from the top and bottom of the display - i.e. can't see the menu bar at all and the bottom half of the dock is cut off. The resolution is set to 1080p. Tried turning overscan off but this hasn't helped. Can't see any obvious settings on my TV that might help with this.

Any advice on what to try next very welcome.

Thanks!

2. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Adjust your tv's aspect ratio.

You can also change the output resolution on the mac for best image resolution/aspect ratio compromise (Preferences-->Display).

Sometimes you can't always get it perfect, depending on the tv. I think mine also clips a tiny bit on the top and bottom when set to its max res on the mac and the correct AR on the tv - if I bring the res down a notch on the mac everything fits on the tv but with black bars top/bottom (like watching a widescreen movie on a 4:3 tv). I prefer max res and correct AR - the little bit that's cut off at the top and bottom are negligible and it's my tv's fault, it has a weird and uncommon 1024x1080 native resolution (1080i plasma).

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There's an option in the display settings for the Viera (if it's like the 50" model) which will give you full 1:1 display of 1080i/p. The default 1080 is slightly cropped to accommodate some broadcasts that don't quite fill the display.

It should be in the TV's menu Picture > HD Size. Select "Size 2" for 100% (default is "Size 1" at 95%). Hope this helps.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Or Picture Overscan off in the Setup -> Other Settings menu

5. nw43 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your tips. Unfortunately, I've not had any success so far. I tried playing with the aspect ratios and turned off overscan from my display properties.

On the TV itself I don't appear to have options for HD Size or turning overscan off. I guess I might have a different model of TV.

Again, thanks for trying - I might just have to live with this...