Missing Windows, Should i return the MBP. Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aditghai, Mar 1, 2008.

?

Should i return my MBP

Poll closed Mar 6, 2008.
  1. Yes, you can never get used to OSX after using Windows for 14 years

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, Give it some more time. Screw the return policy

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Hi
    I just got a MBP this Monday. I was Windows user for about 14 years and i am having a little bit of a hard time getting used to OS X. As in no taskbar. I know Expose exists but i was just so used to the taskbar minimzing anything that opens up.
    Also, Office 08 on the Mac is not as nice as Office for Windows. I am heavy duty excel and word user. And No, I dont want to install VMWARE or Parallels to run Windows.

So, My Question is should i return this MBP and just switch back to the Windows laptop i have or should i give it some more time?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you want to use OS X, you're going to have to start loving Expose; it's basically a picturesque taskbar. And no, Office '08 is not half as good as Office '07. That's not going to change. For whatever reason, half of the features in the Windows version were left out of the Mac version.

If I were you, I'd switch back before your 14-day period runs out. There's little sense in keeping a computer and forcing yourself to use an OS and programs that cut down on your efficiency simply because you wanted to try something new. Get a Thinkpad or an Acer or a Gateway, and get back to work.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It might help if we knew a little about the reasons that made you switch.

What was it about the Mac that attracted you?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Give it until a couple of days before your store return period is over. That way you can give it as much of a chance as you can given the circumstances. But different strokes for different folks, if the Mac happens to not be a right fit for you then by all means you should return it and go get the machine that works best for you. Computers are just tools. If you prefer tool W over tool X, then there's no reason for you not to use tool W.

5. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Well basically it was the way OSX looked and the way the MBP looked.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ah, form over function then

Yes, it is visually appealing, but if it doesn't meet your needs and requirements, then you may want to consider going back. I have found the Mac to be everything I want and do everything I need. But Excel may be an issue for you. I understand 2008 does not support VBA.

It may not be right for you.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

sounds like you want a Windows machine. You might grow to love OS X. Then again, you might not. Might as well return the MBP and get what you know you want.

8. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

I think the fact that you even posted this here demonstrates what you know you should be doing. Return your MBP.

I have to say I think your poll is a bit skewed. How you can you possible make that statement that "you can never get used to OSX after using Windows for 14 years'? Never is a very strong word to use. Quite frankly I use both and find both useable for what I need to do.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You could always consider installing Windows on your MBP for the sake of productivity. Use the Windows side for your required tasks, and OS X for everything fun (surfing, email, etc) until you have better knowledge of the ins and outs of the OS.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you could just partition your hard drive and run windows natively in it. It's very easy using bootcamp. That way you have the best of both worlds.

11. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Hmm. Still undecided man. This is hard. 10% restocking fee is kinda steep.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You're not going to find better advice than you've already received, even if this thread goes on for 10 pages.

13. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

There's nothing to think about. Since you like the hardware and you can always just install MS Windows on it exclusively, or have both OS X and Windows installed at the same time, then you should definitely keep it. If you never warm up to OS X, then it's still a great laptop hardware-wise that you can use as a Windows machine.

14. Pees330 macrumors 6502

If you are worried about paying the restocking fee I would hang on to it. Use it for a few more weeks and see if you feel comfortable with OS X. It's hard to make a complete switch over from Windows in only a few days. I would even install Windows on your machine to. After all of that you can see how you're liking the machine. If you don't think OS X is right for you, just sell it. You could make back a decent amount and use that money towards a new Windows machine.

15. November macrumors regular

Bootcamp into XP/Vista then have an awesome looking windows laptop?

Seems like the obvious choice for me...

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

This probably wont help, but if the OP used to be a frequent user of Alt+Tab, he ought to try Command+Tab, which serves the same function.

17. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The 10% restocking fee would cost more than just buying a copy of windows and running that.

Might as well keep it, its one of the sportiest laptops you can get. Youd have to get a cheap pc laptop which probably isnt as good to make any real money back (unless you sacrifice thinness).

Make sure to buy from some place that doesnt have a restocking fee. I didnt have to pay a restocking fee for returning the crappy G4 mini to Best Buy, and I think I remember amazon not having a restocking fee.

18. cmturner2 macrumors member

cmturner2

I've been using computers since the late 70s, and Windows since 3.11 myself, and my advice to you is to keep it.

It's a solid laptop, discounting which OS is installed on it. However it's one of the only laptops that will let you run OS X, Linux and Windows.

For the near term I suggest you either purchase a copy of VMWare Fusion (I prefer) or Parellels (and/or bootcamp into your Windows of choice). As a 14yr Windows user you should be familiar with the learning curves you went through moving from Windows 3.x to 95 to 98 to 2000 to XP and perhaps to Vista - Just think of OS X as another one of these learning curves. However you still have the parachute of Windows when needed.

I certainly prefer many things in OS X now that I've used it for a few years, but still have complaints about minor UI annoyances that (IMO) Microsoft does better (i.e. window resizing by grabbing any corner in Windows vs lower right only in OS X) and other things. No OS is everything, they all have their high and low points.

Anyway, there's my advice, for what it's worth.

19. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Thank you for not trashing me like one of the members above. It feels comforting to get some advise from someone who has been on the same boat as me. Yeah, I feel OS X growing on me.

Thanks a lot for your help

20. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I don't think returning it is such a good idea. You already have a top-of-the-line computer, which you can also install Windows on.

You should definitely install Windows on it and get all your work done the way you're used to doing it. Then when you have some spare time, you can use some of it to learn about and get used to OS X.

21. Burgess07 macrumors regular

Burgess07

You could also minimize windows to the dock. Isn't that a more accurate comparison to the taskbar than exposé?

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

stop being an old fogie and open your mind to a new way to use your computer. Personally, I am MUCH more efficient on my macbook than I was on any Windows PC.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Dont use ms office, use open office http://www.openoffice.org

Its 100% compatible with office, its free, and it runs on every os and looks identical. I made the switch a little bit ago and I never looked back since :) I love open office. I bet if you gave it a try youd like it too.

Ok after rereading I see its more about the OS not office but Ill leave this here anyway incase the OP would like to try open office.

24. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

If you haven't returned it yet keep it i made the switch at xmas and love it.

Bad thing is that when ever i'm on a Windows machine all the little problems that didn't annoy me now really piss me off:eek:LoL But if you really do miss windoze boot camp or use fusion.

25. stevenz macrumors member

stevenz

I've been using Windows since v3.0, through 3.1, WFWG3.11, 95, 98, 2K up until XP and got a Mac instead of trying to use the abomination that is Vista. It's so nice having everything just _work_. I'd dabbled with previous versions of the Mac OS, mainly System 6 on an old B&W Mac and System 7 on an LCII, and I never liked them. As of at least OSX 10.4, probably earlier, they seem to have gotten rid of most of the issues I had with it, and in most cases things work as logically, if not more so than Windows, although I'd still like cut & paste in the finder.

If you rely heavily & solely on MS products, I'm not sure why you'd bother switching though, as even if you use equivalents, you're not really be going to be ahead financially or functionally.