Mission impossible: Finding a good simple external hard drive for MAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BobHail, May 21, 2010.

1. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Seriously, why is it so hard to find a simple external hard drive with these specs:

-500GB - 1TB
    -Firewire 800
    -Mac formatted
    -With a power supply, ´cause I´m daisy chaining it with my firewire soundcard. (Tried already one without a power supply and although it could power itself from my MBP FW800, it couldn´t from my soundcard FW800. So I had to send it back.)

-Dealbreaker: No WD Smartware!!! :mad: WD My Book 1TB Studio is actually perfect for what I need, but they had to ruin it with that crapware! :mad: (I actually have one, I should have bought two when they were still without the "Smart"ware).

I´m losing my mind, done hours of research and I can´t find a simple external hard drive, please help!

Any tips would be appreciated!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy a bare internal drive and a firewire enclosure. Not that difficult.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac Guide on External Hard Drives

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.)
    It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like.
    Formatting in HFS (Mac OS Extended) or FAT32 or NTFS-3G can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility.

FAT32
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    • No individual file larger than 4GB.
    NTFS
    HFS
    • Read/Write HFS from native Mac OS X
    • To Read/Write HFS from Windows, Install MacDrive
    • To Read HFS (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

5. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Problem is that I´m trying to find one from my own country, where the selection isn´t that impressive. Ordering from EU countries could be option too, but ordering from US is out of the question. But I still would like to find one from my own country first.

Is there anything exactly like the WD My Book 1TB Studio, but without the Smartware or any other crapware. I mean a "common brand that you can buy from everywhere"?

Just a simple EMPTY hard drive Mac formatted.

6. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don´t want to say, but EU country. :)

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All right fine. Having lived in several European countries I might be able to give you more specific help, but I guess not. See if there's a Media Markt in your area, they have a pretty good selection of hard drives and enclosures.

http://www.mediamarkt.com/

8. Bratboy macrumors member

9. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, what are these?

Software : LaCie Setup Assistant
    LaCie Backup Assistant

These are not Mac formatted either are they?

Anyway looks nice, but seems like a hassle again with formatting and those softwares makes me suspicious... Besides the first one I can´t find here in the local stores. The second one I did, but there´s a month waiting period. :eek:

I found the Iomega brand from the Apple Store. Seems like the specs are in order, any word are they good?

10. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

You can remove the smartware using a downloadable utility.

Look for a Lacie drive to meet your requirements. They don't use "tricky" means to keep the crapware on their drives. Simple format with disk utility should solve the issue.

11. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I don't understand why Miles' original suggestion of buying a bare drive and an enclosure wouldn't work for you. I'm sure that bare drives and enclosures are sold in EU countries, right?

The formatting of the drive when you buy it is inconsequential. You can always reformat it for Mac compatability. That really is no hassle at all, assuming that you have currently have a Mac. And it would ensure that absolutely nothing is on the drive other than what you put on it.

12. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I've got a couple WD "somethings" with USB 2. Just reformat for Mac.
    Easy.

I've got a Buffalo quad interface USB FW400, FW800 ... Formated NTFS, I think. Will reformat to Mac in the future. I use to transfer video, so I need compatible with Windows for now.

13. Redline13 macrumors 6502

It really is as simple as this. Also who cares how the drive is formatted when it arrives? It's trivial to change.

14. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

And you should format it before use anyways.

15. G-Force macrumors 6502a

Why does it need to be Mac formatted, you know you can do that yourself in like 15 seconds right? The LaCie tools are not needed to keep the drive running, I'm pretty sure that's also the case with WD drives.

Anyway, I have a LaCie d2 Quadra which you can format to HFS+ yourself and does not need any tools. It has 2 FW800 ports and 1 FW400 port. It also has it's own power supply. Just a normal external drive like many others available in Europe.

16. DAM-Photography macrumors member

17. OneShotos macrumors newbie

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As has already been said, there's no such thing as a "Mac hard drive" or a "Windows hard drive". They're just drives. How they're formatted out of the box is irrelevant. They can be formatted however you choose, to be compatible with your system and your needs. Formatting is a very simple process and will ensure removal of any 3rd party software that may have come with your drive.

19. Christina1971 macrumors regular

@OneShotos: Someone already recommended OWC. the OP said that he's not in the US, so ordering from OWC won't work for him.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OWC ships all over the world, so it WILL work for the OP.

21. Christina1971 macrumors regular

From the OP:

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

People from all over the world, including the EU, order from OWC with great results, so it CAN be done. If the OP simply chooses not to, that's another matter. However, the OP also was under the mistaken impression that a drive had to be formatted for Mac upon purchase, which was false.

23. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Okay fine. I should have said he's not in the US *and* ordering from a US based company won't work for him, instead of saying "so."

I don't know why he doesn't want to order from OWC, I have nothing against OWC, I don't know what's going on with EU shipping, whatever. It just seemed like folks chiming in to say "order from U.S.-based company X!" wasn't really going to be much help to him, since he ruled that out in his second post. You see that my original suggestion was to get a bare drive and an enclosure. I'm not sure why "hours of research" wouldn't have turned up that perfectly reasonable solution, either.

24. OneShotos macrumors newbie