Mixed up Liquid Cooling Systems?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PapaGino, Dec 11, 2015.

1. PapaGino macrumors member

PapaGino

I currently have 5 G5s Quads and one 2.7ghz. All my G5 Quads have the older Delphi system and my 2.7ghz has the Panasonic system (from what i remember the 2.7ghz has it). I read that the Panasonic system was used in the late 2005 G5 models and that the early 2005s had the Delphi systems. Yet somehow my Late 2005 Quads have the Delphi systems. All of my G5s where certified refurbished from apple, is this why the LCS could be mixed up between all my G5s? I did however just check my G5 Quad that I am using right now to wright this up and it says its a Delphi sticker right on it and right on the CPU its labeled September 7th 2006. That must be the date this one was refurbished i guess??? Since there's no way apple made the G5 then since the Mac Pro was already out. If anyone can help me figure this out I'll really appreciate it i been thinking about this for ever.

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

The G5 Quads's production ended on August 7th 2006, so one month after that, yours were refurbished. All of the LCSes in the Quads had something to do with Delphi, as the earlier ones were a single-pump, and the later ones were dual-pump. The dual-pump ones were less reliable, and they were branded Cooligy. I own a prototype Quad, and mine has the single pump.

3. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

Oh wow that's interesting.

I did find this picture online of the pumps. I have the one one the left in my quad as well as the other 4 quads which is a 1 pump system. My 2.7ghz has the one on the right which is the dual pump as u said.

Attached Files:

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

The dual pumps were also in the later quads too

5. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

So my refurbished G5s Quads could of had dual pumps originally but during their refurbishment they where switched to single pump systems? Except for the 2.7ghz which has the duals still.

6. user406, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015

user406 macrumors newbie

Seems not correct. Power Mac G5 (Late 2005):
    - all 2.5 have LCS
    - there were min 2 revisions of LCS
    - all revisions was from Delphi only (GM dept)
    - first revision with two pumps
    - second (after first) with one pump
    - regular LCS of Late 2005 was the most reliable among the all regular G5's LCS (except Panasonic, which was not used on Late 2005 and became a rescue act)

Why two-pumps is the first revision? Simple. The problem is the rings. More pumps=more rings=double chance of failure. Some technical pubs noted that new revision for Late 2005 was more simple but with no details. So the late refurb of your LCS is one more evidence. Suppose the first revision with two pumps. Not excluding another major modifications. Fluid flow calculation is different between revisions. Not sure for 100%. Not a Chief of Apple's production.

Perhaps mix is possible. For that you have to research the places where you fix the LCS (with original LCS case). The retention mechanism of 1 and 2 pumps LCS are different. By the way there is a service manual for late 2005 (.pdf). This info is internal.

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

That doesn't make sense, as I have a DVT Quad (Made in August of 05) and it has a single pump

8. user406, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015

user406 macrumors newbie

Do you know the history of machine and can confirm that there was not any kind of repair or disassemble? Check label of LCS for dates. Besides its possible that before production starts (G5 Late 2005) there were already two revision of LCS. Only internal stuff knows (perhaps) the reason how/why was that possible. Hence the date of Mac production could not depend of revision of LCS. The world is crazy. That is possible that 1 pump machine was first too. As I know there was no LCS with 1 pump in the previous liquid cooling G5s. So they really could design two revisions before production starts

9. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

It may have been disassembled, but the LCS says DVT on it so its original to the G5

10. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

I know mine are most likely are different since they where all refurbished. But I know one of them has a dual pump LCS if i remember correctly I'm pretty sure the dual pump I have was the 2.7ghz dual core (i might be wrong but I know for sure one had the dual pumps in it). I'll have to check all six this weekend and write down their dates and and specs and what version of the LCS they have. But ill check to see if their LCS was swapped out at a later date like my current one with the 2007 stamped on it. Some might have their original LCS but i cant say for sure.

11. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

All of the Dual 2.7s had dual pumps IRC

12. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

Thanks for confirming that for me since its gonna be a lot easier for me to be able too tell which is which now from the dual pumps lol.

13. user406, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

user406 macrumors newbie

1. Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) и Power Mac G5 (Early 2005) are the only models which could had LCS from Panasonic (not 100%)
    2. Dual core CPUs from IBM installed in Late 2005 only
    3. Power Mac G5 (Early 2005) are all single core but dual CPU at 2.7ghz. All 2.7 came with LCS only
    4. Personally like dual CPU models cause cores are tales for idiots comparing to physical units. But problem of executing CPU commands in pipeline still exist. Load balance between physical units are magic.

14. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Some info on the 2004 2.5 / early 05 2.7

They had two different LCS options, the super common single pump Delphi (which failed super often) and a Panasonic version that is super rare. The Panasonic was more like a huge heatsink with a pump whereas the Deliphi had a physical radiator. 2.7GHz and 2.5GHz single processor core cards only had dual pumps if it was a Panasonic unit.

I've owned two 2.7GHz models and both had the Delphis although I have a friend who has a 2004 2.5GHz with the Panasonic.

On the Quad, they had two. Similar Delphi model as the 04/e05 but had dual pumps and the super reliable Revision C Delphi which had the radiator split into half and each CPU had it's own cooling system and pump.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/rebuilding-a-2-7ghz-g5-lcs.1718246/

15. PapaGino thread starter macrumors member

PapaGino

Is there a reason apple didn't use the Panasonic version in the long run?

16. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

The Panasonic one may have cost more, or there could have been a legal disagreement or something