ML wont recognize 2TB G-tech ext HD on USB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kenny9091, Aug 11, 2013.

1. kenny9091 macrumors newbie

My 2TB G-Tech external HD that was my Time Machine and back up on my last iMAc that fried is not recognized by my brand new iMac on the USB port (the only port I can use since my g-Tech has only a USB and a firewire port)

Is this a thing in Mountain Lion? Is the USB not a port to use?

thx

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Since it is a TM backup for another computer, yours won't see it as an external device, but as a TM machine disk.

Unless the disk image doesn't even appear in desktop.

3. kenny9091 thread starter macrumors newbie

Some details if needed:

OSX 10.8.4

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

In the System Report under USB it shows that there is a G-Drive attached to the USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus but the drive does show show up in Finer and cant be found by Time Machine.

----------

Jav:

How do I get this Time MAchine to see it? Can that be done?

----------

JAV; Correct, the disk image doesn't appear on the desktop either.

4. g4cube macrumors 6502a

The permissions are from your old computer, so the new computer may not be able to read it. If drive is visible in Disk Utility as a drive and volume, then go to Finder Preferences to show volume icons on the Desktop. Also expand the left side of the Finder Window to show connected drives, and netowrk shares.

It might be that simple.

Once you can see the volume icon, you and do a Finder Get Info for the volume and inform Finder to I"Ignore Ownership on this Volume"

5. kenny9091 thread starter macrumors newbie

G4: I have selected all the devices to show on desktop in the Finder Preferences and nothing of my G-Drive shows up anywhere.

I find it unbelievable that I can have backups and Time Machine on an iMac for 5 years and then purchase a new iMac and not have it recognize the previous machine's Time Machine backup drive, it is just unbelievable to me.

6. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Yes, unbelievable to me too.

I used a Time Machine back up from my old Mac to transfer to my new one, without any problems at all. Sorry this doesn't help you much.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Your iMac fried? What happened? Could it have affected attached drives?

8. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Have you considered the possibility that the G-Tech external hard disk drive is failed; and that the current situation has nothing to do with your new iMac or Mountain Lion?

You've stated that it is five years old. The external failing (or its power supply) would be my first and last thought . . . . . until it proves otherwise by showing up in any computer, Windows or Apple.

9. kenny9091 thread starter macrumors newbie

The G-Drive external was only a month old. The 5 year old iMac was a little long in the tooth with some LCD ghosting burn but otherwise perfectly fine - till a month ago it fell off my desk! then yesterday it just locked up. Here in NYC Tekserve looked at it and determined the hard drive's processes were on interest only to historians. ;) THe Hard drive died.

Bought a new iMac cause I wasnt sure if the fall had affected any other part of the old iMac. GEt home plug in G-Drive and another external with my music library and the music library is there but the G-Drive with only the TIme MAchine backups is nowhere to be found except ghosted out int he Disk Utility.

----------

that is...I do not think it's the G-Drive, AND it DOES show up attached to a USB port in the "System Report" and as ghosted out in the "Disk Utility", so I assume it's working.

IT's very frustrating that Apple has Time MAchine backups that dont work seamlessly across different MAc machines or OSX's.

10. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Sorry if I've missed you posting this detail . . . . .

Have you attempted to use "Migration Assistant" while the G-Tech is plugged in and the G-Tech does not show up in "Migration Assistant"?

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

So the drive in question was NOT attached to the iMac when the fall happened?

12. kenny9091 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it was attached. But I also had a second external HD for my music library. The music library disc is fine.

I just got off the phone with Apple Care and after having Disc Utility try to repair it they say that the G-Drive has something corrupted about it and to call Hitachi.

I'm skeptical that one of two external drives -the one with the Time Machine backups ... the one that didn't fall and the one that worked and took a back up YESTERDAY before the old iMac HD froze - is also suddenly dead at the same time as the internal HD.

I saw in some thread that if the computer names dont match up that could be an issue?

----------

Freeman: during the startup process of my new iMac the Migration Assistant could not see the G-Drive. The G-Drive is only visible in the "System Report" as attached to the USB 3, and it's shown but ghosted out in "Disc Utility"