Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Really? He's got similar stats to A.J. Burnett and got the same deal, I'd say they were inline with their offer, unless, of course, both the Yankees and Red Sox overpaid.

Yes they both did overpay. I think on a really good staff both are a 3rd starter in a rotation. I didn't say it was a bad signing. Even slightly above average pitching is hard to come by nowadays.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
Really? He's got similar stats to A.J. Burnett and got the same deal, I'd say they were inline with their offer, unless, of course, both the Yankees and Red Sox overpaid.

I'm shocked the Sox gave him five years..Especially a pitcher that's spent the first six weeks of the last two seasons on the DL.Not to mention his numbers in the AL East aren't that great..Real head scratcher IMO..I'm wondering if they have doubts that they'll be able to sign Beckett after this year?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
It's official, Godzilla has left the Bronx. :(

Reports Monday by ESPN.com and The New York Times indicated that the deal is worth $6.5 million -- half of the $13 million salary Matsui made with the Yankees this past season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091216&content_id=7816352&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Which might come back to bite them in the rear since Damon might go somewhere else as well.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091216&content_id=7816086&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

robo

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2005
Your going to go there after losing the World Series to us and the pitching staff.

We lost the WS because our key hitters didn't hit:eek: Not because of your lights out pitching staff;) Go ahead, throw all your stats at me:)

Peace

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Unbelievable. I think the Yankees are trying to miss the playoffs again......... Who looks to be the replacement for Matsui? Nick Johnson at $5.5 million. The Yankees couldn't pony up the extra million dollars to retain Matsui?

I'm not as surprised by it. Is there any reason to think Matsui won't decline further next year? His recent leg injuries make him a major liability in the field and the Yankees have too many older players to compete with for the DH spot as it is. (Don't know if it's true that they plan to rotate position players in and out of the DH spot in the lineup to rest their starting lineup, but I keep hearing that.) If they could sign him for cheap, I could see the Yankees keeping him, but right now they're better off signing someone for less who's decent at the plate and can play the field instead.

We lost the WS because our key hitters didn't hit:eek: Not because of your lights out pitching staff;) Go ahead, throw all your stats at me:)

Peace

How could anyone prove which it was? Did they not hit because the pitching was good? Or did the pitching look good because the hitters underachieved? I'm not sure what stats you can find to prove one or the other in a short series.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I'm not as surprised by it. Is there any reason to think Matsui won't decline further next year? His recent leg injuries make him a major liability in the field and the Yankees have too many older players to compete with for the DH spot as it is. (Don't know if it's true that they plan to rotate position players in and out of the DH spot in the lineup to rest their starting lineup, but I keep hearing that.) If they could sign him for cheap, I could see the Yankees keeping him, but right now they're better off signing someone for less who's decent at the plate and can play the field instead.

Nick Johnson plays 1st base. The Yankees already have Tex and Swisher that can play that position.

Plus, his rumored price would be $5.5 million, a million less then what Matsui signed for with the Angels. Yes, his knees suck, but he won't be playing the field. When Giardi wants to put A-Rod, Tex, Jeter, etc as DH, they can rest Matsui. If his contract was up back in 2008 when he played so so, then ok while I wouldn't like it, but I could understand it. But, he was great this year especially in the postseason. Now I hate it and don't understand it especially since it looks like they may lose Damon as well.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Nick Johnson plays 1st base. The Yankees already have Tex and Swisher that can play that position.

Plus, his rumored price would be $5.5 million, a million less then what Matsui signed for with the Angels. Yes, his knees suck, but he won't be playing the field. When Giardi wants to put A-Rod, Tex, Jeter, etc as DH, they can rest Matsui. If his contract was up back in 2008 when he played so so, then ok while I wouldn't like it, but I could understand it. But, he was great this year especially in the postseason. Now I hate it and don't understand it especially since it looks like they may lose Damon as well.

I wasn't justifying signing Nick Johnson. I'm saying there's an argument to be made for letting Matsui go. I agree that Johnson seems like a very expensive backup first baseman.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Godzilla Is Part Of My Los Angeles Angels Of Anaheim!:d Ftw!

Who watched Johnny Damon being kissed by an 87 year old women wrestler yesterday on USA on WWE raw.???!!!

haha

i saw it on abc7 news too.

robo

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2005

Who watched Johnny Damon being kissed by an 87 year old women wrestler yesterday on USA on WWE raw.???!!!

haha

i saw it on abc7 news too.

Maybe you could sign Pedro too... :rolleyes:

Peace

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006

I'm happy with getting Chone Figgins and Cliff Lee up north :) Oh, and the Bradley for Silva swap is an automatic win, too--we traded a truly worthless player for one with a 1-3WAR upside.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
First reported by Mike Francesa on WFAN: Bay to the Mets pending physical.

Update: Free-agent outfielder Jason Bay has reached agreement on a four-year, guaranteed $66 million contract with the New York Mets,
The agreement will become official once Bay passes a physical exam sometime next week, the source said. The deal includes a vesting option year that could increase Bay's overall payout to slightly more than $80 million over five years.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Report: Bay to the Mets pending physical.

Wow, fantastic job Mets. You got a lousy defender in a cavernous park which will penalize Bay for his hitting style. Also, you think that Bay's agent might have just -slightly- overvalued his client? ;)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Free-agent third baseman Adrian Beltre has reached tentative agreement on a one-year, guaranteed, $10 million contract with the Boston Red Sox, multiple sources have told ESPN.com and ESPNBoston.com

The deal will pay Beltre a base salary of $9 million in 2010. It includes a $5 million player option for 2011 and a $1 million buyout, and is contingent upon Beltre passing a physical exam, the sources said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4795915

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Free-agent third baseman Adrian Beltre has reached tentative agreement on a one-year, guaranteed, $10 million contract with the Boston Red Sox, multiple sources have told ESPN.com and ESPNBoston.com

The deal will pay Beltre a base salary of $9 million in 2010. It includes a $5 million player option for 2011 and a $1 million buyout, and is contingent upon Beltre passing a physical exam, the sources said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4795915

Damn it. Now I'm going to have to see pink Beltre AND Cameron shirts this year :(

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
First of all the union will never allow salary caps. That is where your gripe should be not with the Yankees. The Yankees make a **** ton of money a year. They spend it on players. If you don't like it tough. I am happy that they don't pocket the money like some teams. I want to see a winning team every year. The Yankees of old would just throw money at a player, even if they were not any good and they didn't win. Look the last win was 2000, how much money did they spend over the last 9 years and not win anything? So don't say that money wins championships because it doesn't.

You want to really fix the game, cut the teams from 32 to 20. That would make it more competitive. There is so much dead weight in baseball with crap teams.

that's not right though. teams go through rebuilding cycles. you can't throw the pirates out because they have sucked lately. they have had winners in the past. we need the underdogs too. otherwise we wouldn't have the greatest baseball movie of all time (Major League). Harry Doyle: "juuuuust a bit outside..." "I don't know how they;'re layin off pitches that close..." and the immortal Bob Ueck himself: (brewers down 8 zip) "well, a couple a grand slammers and the brew crew is right back in this one..."

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
that's not right though. teams go through rebuilding cycles. you can't throw the pirates out because they have sucked lately. they have had winners in the past.
How long has it been since the Pirates have been a relevant team in baseball? A team is allowed to rebuild but you have to start to build at some point. You can't just tare the house down and let it sit.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
How long has it been since the Pirates have been a relevant team in baseball? A team is allowed to rebuild but you have to start to build at some point. You can't just tare the house down and let it sit.

Very true. The better example is a team like the Athletics--they're the epitome of doing a lot with a little money, and they have to gamble on every signing in a way that teams like the Yankees never have to. Even when they do it all right, their success is cyclical--they can't afford to keep most of their good players once they hit free agency.

Really, there needs to be a floor and a ceiling for payroll if you want real competition--a 140M team will still run rampage over a 30-40M team 9 times out of 10, just like the 210M version would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.