MLB Coach Fined for Wearing Apple Watch During Game

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Major League Baseball today fined Arizona Diamondbacks coach Ariel Prieto after he wore his Apple Watch in the dugout during a game against the Colorado Rockies on Wednesday night, reports The New York Times.

Prieto violated rules against the use of electronic communications devices when he wore the Apple Watch during the game. Major League Baseball investigated and said there was no sign the watch was used for anything suspicious.

[​IMG]
    Image via The New York Times​
    Though the watch was not misused, Prieto and the Diamondbacks received a fine in an "undisclosed amount" just for having the watch in the dugout. The money will be donated to hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico.

The Boston Red Sox were also fined last month for using electronic communications devices in the dugout to more quickly relay the opposing team's signs to players on the field. The device in that event was originally said to be an Apple Watch, but later reports suggested it was instead a Fitbit.

Article Link: MLB Coach Fined for Wearing Apple Watch During Game

2. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

3. brianvictor7 macrumors 65816

brianvictor7

There are places where I work that ban these for security reasons. I once forgot to remove my watch in such a zone. I got that very uncomfortable yet strangely exhilarating feeling one gets as a child when going to the bathroom without a hall pass.

4. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

So this is a real thing in the US? I watched a movie (may have been IT) recently and i was like what is that thing and why isnt he just going to the bathroom

5. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

To be fair, the Red Sox fessed up to using Apple Watches to steal signs. I don't blame MLB for cracking down.

6. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Here's the thing though. It's not illegal to steal signs. Teams steal signs all the time. Baseball just doesn't want anyone using technology to facilitate the sign stealing. If you steal signs the old school way, nobody cares. Use tech? That's a no no.

7. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

And soon…. we will have big stakes Vegas gamblers using some AppleWatch app to help with card counting.

Hooo boy. Technology is something else, iznt it?

8. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

More like you can’t really stop people from doing so. You can make it way harder for them to do so.

9. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

He is just expressing his first amendment right. How dare the league fine him.

10. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Well, it is worth bearing in mind that the Apple Watch is so much a watch as it is a mini computer on your wrist.

11. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

He obviously hasn’t been paying attention to the news. If he was, he would’ve avoided wearing it. Don’t think he intentionally broke any rules.

12. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Yeah, or maybe he just forgot to take it off. Sometimes it's an honest mistake, we forget to do things sometimes.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Of course, the problem here is not about computing, but the ability to surreptitiously communicate.

14. PickUrPoison macrumors 65816

Time to re-read the Constitution: “Congress shall make no law...”

15. 2010mini macrumors 68040

This is sarcasm right?

16. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Imagine ...in 2017 ...digital age.... while the Apple Watch is easy to pick, some android watches, you can't tell if it's a smart watch...

17. 576316 macrumors 601

I bet you're fun.

18. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

It’s pretty common here to need a pass to be out of class for any reason, even the bathroom. My daughters school is actually using their IDs to get into the bathroom now. They need to be scanned so they know how long they’re in there for.

19. Spizike9 macrumors newbie

I love how people have been stealing signs since the beginning of baseball. And all the sudden someone does with a Apple Watch and everybody is freakin out.

20. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I don't ever watch baseball, why does it matter if someone is wearing an Apple Watch in the dugout?

21. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Y
    Counting cards with a computer is more illegal than murder in Nevada.

22. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Is he eating popcorn? Or is he covering his mouth that is saying uh oh they caught me wearing my Apple Watch dang I should have got the red dot one to impress them. Lol

23. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I know you're making a joke. But he probably really is eating something. Sunflower seeds (an MLB favorite) would be my guess.

24. vpndev macrumors 6502

Turns out the "Apple Watch" used was actually a Fitbit.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    'Cos MLB sex no electronic devices in the dugout. So your iPhone has to stay in the locker room too.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Because Apple isn't a sponsor. Ha. Ha. Just joking. Or am I?

Of course in this particular game it really didn't matter. D-Backs are not going to win the DS against Dodgers no matter how many AW's are in the dugout.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    Well, except that with pro (maybe college sports too), the rules are the rules except when they aren't the rules or at least they don't "see" a violation to enforce the rules. Of course, something obvious like this, it's a no brainer.