MMS & 3.0 Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthoffart, Jun 16, 2009.

1. matthoffart macrumors newbie

Everyone knows that MMS will be unavailable at the time of 3.0 release, but i have heard a rumor that you are able to call AT&T on the 17th and ask them to remove some sort of "MMS block"? Has anyone heard about this? please let me know.

GO :apple:

2. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I'm going to go ahead and say that this MIGHT be true, but AT&T won't say a damned word about it, could you imagine the mayhem of all iPhone users calling the hotline at the same time trying to get MMS unblocked?
    I donno about the rest of you, but hearing this, I might give them a quick call and see what I can do. ;)

3. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

I would put a substantial amount of money on MMS being blocked untill AT&T gets their act together and releases a carrier update.

4. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

You can call them and try to get that removed, but you still need a carrier update file to get mms activated on your phone. Its not going to magically appear on your phone over the air.

5. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

All the reps at AT&T told me the 17th, but chances are they'll get an e-mail today or tomorrow telling them they can't do it yet.

6. Clipse macrumors newbie

Thats correct. I had to get the updated Carrier file for 3.0 to get MMS to work. There is an MMS opt-out option on all iPhone accounts as well but getting them to take it off was a bit of a trick. Still it took me about 30-45 minutes total and I got MMS.

[​IMG]

7. matthoffart thread starter macrumors newbie

What did you tell them in order to be able to receive MMS? what was the winning line for them to remove it?

8. w3cum macrumors regular

So I was on the phone with AT&T about my GF's phone (non-iPhone) and once that was resolved I asked about having the MMS restriction removed from my phone and account. The guy who had been helping me for about 20 minutes being very kind and helpful turned crazy! he actually said " I wish you apple freaks could use a calendar!" then went on to tell me that AT&T would release MMS when "they" were ready. I asked to speak to a supervisor and after a 10 minute hold I talked to a nice woman who apologized and explained that after I upload the software to 3.0 to call in and she would try to remove any restrictions to my account. She also said that the AT&T servers know what version of OS is on your phone and that a carrier update would "probably" launch Friday because that is when the new iPhones would be released.

Now this is just info from AT&T and I am suure some of you will rip it to shreds.... but that is what I was told by AT&T this afternoon

9. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Disappointing; last week they told me it'll be available on the 17th, and now it's "end of summer" because they have an official document to read from (which makes the chances of someone actually removing the opt-out code very small).

10. matthoffart thread starter macrumors newbie

So did the AT&T supervisor end up removing the restriction?

11. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

well given that it isnt the 17th yet like they said to wait for, i would assume no

12. matthoffart thread starter macrumors newbie

They knew he had the OS 3.0 though and they said a update is likely to come "friday"

13. w3cum macrumors regular

no she said that she couldn't because I didn't have 3.0 on my phone which she said she could see on my account (In fact she could see when I updated the OS the last time).

I am going to do the update tommorow or when ever it is released and then call them back and see what if they can do it.

The carrier update kinda made sense though... I wonder if that is what will enable them to turn on the MMS

14. matthoffart thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm not sure. IDK why apple didn't just wait for AT&T to get their **** together and be ready for the update.

15. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

you can already get the carrier update. in fact i have it so i can get pictures and stuff into my messages but it fails. its because i couldnt fool the at&t people into removing the block. i wasnt as lucky as the other guy in this thread

16. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I'm sorry if this has been posted on here or another thread, but I heard something about how AT&T not allowing MMS at launch violates their contract with Apple. And if this is true, the contract will be broken and Apple will be out early.

So if this happens to be the case, maybe AT&T will shape up and surprise us all... but maybe not. Maybe they don't even care anymore... they have our money.

17. matthoffart thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you get the carrier update? Anyone know a trick in fooling AT&T reps to get them to unlock MMS? My idea was to show up to the store with a box of chocolates..

18. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

find the files here : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=714535

you need to download an old itunes to install them

19. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Just put this into Terminal and you can use the current version of iTunes.

defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

20. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

the carrier update file that everyone is using im sure is a hacked one, it allowes mms and tethering ( not sure about tethering i dont see why it wont work) ..

the reason MMS isnt going to be at launch is for a few reasons.
    1) the carrier file that is needed to allow the MMS options (this im sure is going to have to be sent out by ATT somehow... probably 3.1? )
    2) right now at&t has blocked MMS to MOST iphone plans (the lady i had talked to said that if you are on an iphone specific texting plan then it is blocked but if you are on a regular plan (familly or whatever) then it is not blocked .
    3) they need to have your account provisioned for MMS (according to the tier tech support that i talked to.

what is funny is the lady that i had talked to to try and get mms working she said she wouldn't be able to enable MMS for me, but as i got off the phone with her i got it working on my second line :p

if you use the search on here you can find a thread to easily enable MMS with the 3.0 GM ... not saying it will work for eveyrone but it worked for both my lines, and i managed to help a couple other people get it working
    :apple:komio

21. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i totally forgot about that even though thats what I did. thanks for the addition

22. BassetCase macrumors member

Do they have to put the block on all iphones individually or does it automatically go on there? I will be new to AT&T Friday so I wonder if new account setups will automatically have the block.

23. matthoffart thread starter macrumors newbie

By "hacking" the carrier update file isn't there a chance that it can **** up your service? I think there is better luck to just sweet talk reps over and over and if fail bring chocolates or something to your local AT&T store.

24. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

you can sweet talk the reps all you want but you still don't have the options in the 3.0 GM edition (i dunno about this some people had the options but on both of the iphones on my plan it didnt work.

and as for the block being put on the iphones, i know they had it if AT&T detected you were using an iphone until someone took it off on at&t's side, but i dont know now that they are going to be enabling mms 'sometime this summer'

25. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

In the past it has been automatic, but it's possible that new accounts with the 3GS won't have the block.