mms question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DarthTreydor, Feb 26, 2008.

1. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

as we all know, the iphone doesn't currently support multimedia messages. i'm curious as to whether people think that when (or if) it does, it will be part of a firmware update or a hardware update (the iphone 2). i, for one find it very irritating to be the owner of the most innovative phone on the market but i have to explain to people why I didn't get the picture they just sent me.

thoughts?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

This is just another example of Apple arrogance. Any free camera for can do MMS but the iPhone can't. Its almost like the 1 button mouse all over again.

I think they are saving MMS for iPhone 2.0. It could be done with a firmware update if they wanted to.

3. erickufrin macrumors newbie

I agree. How is this not supported yet?? This should have been here by now! 1.1.4..... come on!

4. jonme macrumors newbie

5. Ferrd macrumors regular

Ferrd

I know that there was a 3rd party app being built to make MMS work. The web site is http://www.swirlyspace.com/iphone/apps/mms/

Does anyone know what happened to this project? It was supposed to be ready at the end of January....

6. ~Phi macrumors regular

I'd just like to add that I passionately HATE that viewmymessage.com web site. :D

7. Vertical macrumors member

I sent them feedback on this yesterday. I really hate not being able to do MMS and I too HATE that friggin viewmymessage.com website. Especially using it with the iPhone. I feel like I'm using one of those garbage cellphones that people give away when I have to visit that site while everyone else is merrily listening to the audio clip someone sent them via MMS or checking out the cool animated picture. I'm stuck with viewmymessage.com that basically allows me about as much access to an MMS that the message might as well have been a text message... not to mention having to type in those stupid keys for each and every MMS message I recieve.

user: aslkj72023
    pass: dolphin223home

I mean COMMON!!! Add MMS so I can participate with the rest of the people I work with :'(

8. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I agree, I hardly use mms but I think it should be implemented just in case I use it or other people send me stuff.

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i personally would be pissed if they made it part of iphone 2.0, if they did that i would straight up fly to california and kill steve jobs. i love apple but i hate telling people. yeah i bought a 600 dollar (i bought near release time) phone and i cant get the picture that your free phone sent me

10. HotblackDesiato macrumors member

It was well documented before launch that the iPhone did not support MMS, and there was nothing to indicate that it ever would.

If MMS was so important to you all, why did you part with your hard earned cash for a device that could not meet your demands?

Not trying to poke anyone with a stick here, just interested.

11. Ferrd macrumors regular

Ferrd

Well for me the answer was easy. Like any other device out there, I figured it either would have been implemented as an update or a 3rd party software. I wouldn't have guessed in a million years it would have taken this long.

12. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Im so sorry for your dissapointment. There were never any gurantees and based on usage stats that I am sure apple has used and to more depth...you may NEVER see it on the product.

Someone else posted this link in the 1.1.4 update but it seems fitting to put it here so that all you so called mms users can truly see how much its NOT used. http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=784513

Email works fine for me and it does not reduce my decent iPhone picture down to a worthless, grainy thumbnail. Never used MMS in my life and never will even if it is added to the iPhone.

Wish you luck on your dream.;)

13. cupofjoe macrumors regular

Uhm, that google answers thing is over 3 years old?

14. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

So? I stated in my comments/opinion that I am sure apple had more recent data...and if you read the whole article it projects out to 2010 which is what action planning teams use to help design and forecast products for the future. Again, I am not claiming to be a Mr. know it all. It is just a "Mac RUMOR"...If others can state one side, why can't I state the other? :)

15. HotblackDesiato macrumors member

The stats are irrelevant.

99% of people could use MMS, but the point is that Apple chose not to support it, and stated from the start (albeit with a subsequent u-turn) that the iPhone would remain a closed platform with no 3rd party development.

Knowing this, many people still bought an iPhone and continue to moan about the lack of MMS.

16. Ferrd macrumors regular

Ferrd

I'm not arguing that we knew going in there would be no MMS support. I honestly felt it would be implemented. Let's face it, EVERY piece of $H1T phone with a camera today supports MMS. It's that simple. So, to me I can not see any rationalization on why Apple should not add the app. If you do not want it, nor will use it, do not pay to have the MMS package added to your account and do not use the software (if it ever gets added). I for one would pay the additional $ to have an MMS package added if the phone supported it.

Like I said in an earlier post, I have gone over to email for my pictures. However, I must admit it that it aggravates me to send them messages now...knowing that my friends with their "free for signing an ATT, Verizon, or whoever contract" phones can receive and send messages without the run around iPhone users have to go through.

And to make matters worse, ATT can not even give us a reliable web site to view the messages sent to us.

17. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

From your article you posted...
    "According to J upiterResearch senior wireless analyst Julie Ask, “only
    6 percent of U.S. subscribers, or about 12 million people, used MMS in
    2005. Jupiter believes 21 percent of subscribers - about 52.5 million
    - will be using these services by 2010.”

In-Stat's May 2005 report, "Mobile Messaging: More Products, More
    Growth," predicted that “21 million mobile subscribers in the U.S.
    would use MMS in 2005, rising to 112 million by 2009.”
    "

52 million and 112 million are by no means small numbers...
    And I have not had MMS since my Treo 650 and after dumping that it's all been Windows Mobile via Sprint. Which does not have mms... I've lived but it would be nice to be added. If not I will continue to send via email to mobile phones or email.

18. HotblackDesiato macrumors member

As I mentioned earlier, the stats are completely irrelevant.

19. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

Ok, I was not responding to your post. I was responding to the person who posted the link. He made it out to look like nobody used MMS.... according to his article. Which I honestly could care less about.

20. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

...and you are correct to a point Bad Ash, my point was not that "nobody" uses it, my point is that its not used "as Much" as certain individuals in these threads make it out to be.

The prediction is that in 2 more years, a little over 50% of cell phone users will use mms. This could be less or more come 2010, no one knows...If Apple decides to not add MMS then that number could be less because the iPhone is so popular and if they add it, then it could be higher. I was only stating some statistics to give those die hards a reference point.

Like you and like I have already stated, I could care less about MMS as I do not, have not and never will use something I do not feel is needed, and "IMO" it is not needed.

Thanks for your feedback

21. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

In response to your feedback Desiato...I have to say IMO I think your wrong. Statistics has everything to do with what a company does or does not produce. Extensive market analysis goes into every product and what will or wont be developed for it. Analysis and Market Share are done for each and every product developed in the world so that the company can decide what will or won't sell. I am quite sure that Apple did extensive market analysis using statistical data to develope the iPhone...I dont have facts or figures, just allot of common sense and marketing experience, so with that said I cordially disagree with your assessment to my post.

22. HotblackDesiato macrumors member

I see your point.

However, I wasn't saying that the stats had nothing to do with Apple's decision not to support MMS. I'm sure they researched it thoroughly.

I'm saying that the stats are irrelevant in the 'I paid $xxx for a phone that doesn't support MMS and I'm pissed off' rant that I keep hearing.

No-one was forced to buy an iPhone. If people are daft enough to buy a device that cannot meet their demands, I have no sympathy. A fool and his money are easily parted.

23. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

Like I mentioned earlier, I've used my email to send pics for the last 3-4 windows mobile phones I've owned, so I am used to it. Just added a extra email address for all my contacts that I send pics to and you are good to go. But I won't say it wouldn't be nice to have it. If it was there I'd use it, why not...

24. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Just a slight FYI, according to those stats even less people used email. So if it was about stats then Apple would have included MMS. Really, if email was supposed to replace MMS, they should have added the ability to send voice clips and more than one photo per email. That would be nice.

25. HotblackDesiato macrumors member

It's refreshing to hear someone talking sense on the subject. It would be nice to have, but hey, it's not there so lets get on with life....