Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The stats are irrelevant.

99% of people could use MMS, but the point is that Apple chose not to support it, and stated from the start (albeit with a subsequent u-turn) that the iPhone would remain a closed platform with no 3rd party development.

Knowing this, many people still bought an iPhone and continue to moan about the lack of MMS.

They also said there would be regular firmware updates with new features.

That one would be MMS was not an unreasonable assumption, nor was that obvious flaws would take less than 9 months to address.

Phazer

HotblackDesiato

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Scotland
They also said there would be regular firmware updates with new features.

That one would be MMS was not an unreasonable assumption, nor was that obvious flaws would take less than 9 months to address.

Phazer

But at the end of the day, that's exactly what it was, an assumption.

Spending £269 on a phone and hoping it eventually supports a feature that you really want is a gamble. Like all gambles, you can win or lose. Just don't moan about it if you lose.

atomsk47

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
I am not pissed off that I spent this much on a phone even though it doesn't support mms. I am still very happy with my purchase. I have never been a huge mms user. The only thing that I don't understand is that this is pretty much a standard feature on cell phones today regardless of price. I have yet to hear a valid reason for not including it. It can't be that hard to implement considering all the other applications that are already on the iPhone.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
the fact that it doesn't support mms doesn't bother me as much as they way the "work-around" is implemented.

why can't we just have the ability to receive it as a link via SMS? this way, we just click it, it'll open a new browser window. Heck even make us type in a short password. But don't make us, go into safari, open up view my message. go back and forth between sms and safari to input the message id and password.

okay sms isn't smart enough to handle links, no problem. email us any mms message we receive. it could probably be embedded into the email.

but maybe they never expected us to access these images using the web on our phones. we were suppose to come home, open up viewmymessage and check out all these wonderful mms messages we received during the day.

HotblackDesiato

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Scotland
I am not pissed off that I spent this much on a phone even though it doesn't support mms. I am still very happy with my purchase. I have never been a huge mms user. The only thing that I don't understand is that this is pretty much a standard feature on cell phones today regardless of price. I have yet to hear a valid reason for not including it. It can't be that hard to implement considering all the other applications that are already on the iPhone.

Perhaps something we will never know.

However, you can be sure it was a decision well researched and not taken lightly. Just like the omission of an optical drive on the MacBook Air and the floppy drive on the original iMac back in 1998.

Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Apple u-turn like their eventual decision to open the iPhone platform via the SDK.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I see your point.

However, I wasn't saying that the stats had nothing to do with Apple's decision not to support MMS. I'm sure they researched it thoroughly.

I'm saying that the stats are irrelevant in the 'I paid $xxx for a phone that doesn't support MMS and I'm pissed off' rant that I keep hearing.

No-one was forced to buy an iPhone. If people are daft enough to buy a device that cannot meet their demands, I have no sympathy. A fool and his money are easily parted.

I totally agree with you and am just as tired of all of the moanin and groanin that you are...that is why I post the "non-conformists" side. I long ago learned to improvise, adapt and overcome and always maintained a PMA. Be happy with what you have today as it may be gone tomorrow.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've used my email to send pics for the last 3-4 windows mobile phones I've owned, so I am used to it. Just added a extra email address for all my contacts that I send pics to and you are good to go. But I won't say it wouldn't be nice to have it. If it was there I'd use it, why not...

I did kind of miss quote you...sorry. Again, I still agree with you as I have already stated.

Just a slight FYI, according to those stats even less people used email. So if it was about stats then Apple would have included MMS. Really, if email was supposed to replace MMS, they should have added the ability to send voice clips and more than one photo per email. That would be nice.

You also have a well taken point. However, slight flaw and reason for it...MMS, as you have stated is available on "almost" every phone produced yet has a low percentage of use, according to the survey. Yet, very few phones are email capable except a few smartphones which accounts for the small percentage...right? They wouldnt include MMS "IF" they believed that mms was a dying option and would be replaced by email on a web based phone. This is also proven in the Asian market in which mms is for the most part a thing of the past and they have moved onto email...and I will tell you that this market is so far ahead of us in cell technology that we (the US) will never surpass them. Again, i am not saying you are wrong...I am just stating some obvious opinions that "COULD" account for some decisions...I am not apple, never will be and obviously just state my opinion.

Again, I have given some opinion reasons above. But like you have learned to improvise, adapt and overcome and have just never needed or wanted mms. I, like others here are just tired of the whinin about something that someday may be or will just die....enjoy what you have in the here and now as it is a great pleasure to use...I will never look at another cell phone the same again.

Thanks for the great discussions guys!

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I'm surprised this sensible discussion has gone on so long without it being interrupted by an irrational rant in unintelligible text speak.

lol...as am I, however it could be because what we are saying has some simblance of common sense and we aren't at each others throats. It is nice to agree not to agree sometimes :)

or those that are never happy with anything and trolls haven't read it yet....JUST KIDDING GUYS! :D

Bad Ash

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
lol...as am I, however it could be because what we are saying has some simblance of common sense and we aren't at each others throats. It is nice to agree not to agree sometimes :)

or those that are never happy with anything and trolls haven't read it yet....JUST KIDDING GUYS! :D

I agree... coming from Sprint and Windows Mobile it's nice just to be able to look forward to updates and such a lot more often. Maybe once a year would you get any kind of firmware update. And that was mainly just for bug fixes. Nothing was ever added unless you added it yourself with a 3rd party app. It's nice that Apple continues to try implementing other features. Even though MMS isn't one of them. :p

HotblackDesiato

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Scotland

Indeed.

On that note, I think I'll call it a night and hit bed while the going is good. ;)

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'd just like to add that I passionately HATE that viewmymessage.com web site. :D

Me too!!

Those lucky europeans have that cool web app to easily look at mms photos, and we get this piece of crap website that not only sucks to use on a computer, but requires flash which we do not have!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Is this something that can be fixed with the release of the iPhone SDK?

In the US I am pretty sure AT&T has to be involved as well. Since the MMS gateway has to be told that the iPhone supports MMS versus sending us the link.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
There are codes that let you send pictures via e-mail to other phones...

Verizon: Number@vzwpix.com
T-Mobile: Number@tmomail.net
AT&T: Number@mms.att.net
Sprint: Number@messaging.sprintpcs.com

It's not sending pics that is the problem, it's receiving them. As everyone has said, we can change our behavior to get around this, but it's a little unreasonable to expect the rest of the world to adapt to send us pics.

As everyone here has said, it's certainly not a deal breaker, or not even something to complain about, but the iPhone is so close to perfect, that it would seem like this would be a simple change.

Kind of like adding the ability to send SMS to more than one user. Not something that I use very often, and something that every other phone can do. It was a nice addition when Apple fixed this.

I would be nice to see SMS accept e-mail addresses like other phones too. It's WAY quicker than using e-mail for short messages. This would be a trivial change, and would close another gap between the iPhone and the rest of the phones in the world. I bet some of you didn't even know you could do that with your old phone. :)

I love my iPhone and I wouldn't trade it for anything else - but it would be nice to see a couple of more features make the jump (repeating reminder tones, and video capture come to mind too).

We all have our wants and needs in a phone, and no two people use the iPhone the same way. It will be interesting to see if the SDK allows us to get some of these features if Apple decides not to provide them...

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
To send/receive MMS, get Swirly MMS, but first jailbreak your iPhone with ZiPhone:

http://ziphone.org

SwirlyMMS 0.3.2 — RECEIVE MMS on iPhone!!!
http://blog.swirlyspace.com/

Add the following repo source to your installer: swirlyspace.com/SwirlySpace.xml
Make sure you spell correctly. This means that capital letters etc also have to be exactly as above!!!!

Note: you also have to call AT&T to enable MMS per use ($.25/ea.) — tell them you sometimes use your SIM w/other phones, since they will claim iPhone cannot do MMS…

Here’s the settings you need:
http://www.swirlyspace.com/iphone/ap…/settings.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.